ZXDS 1.3.4

Hello,

to celebrate the 35th Spectrum (and 10th ZXDS) anniversary, I have prepared new ZXDS release. It fixes just one very subtle contention bug in HALT emulation, which no one will ever likely notice, but as there has been no release to fix it in for couple of years now and this imperfection kept bugging me, today felt like a good occasion to finally fix it. And as I had to bump the multiplayer compatibility version just because of that, I thought it might be a good idea if ZXDS detected and reported incompatible multiplayer version, instead of ignoring them entirely, to give anyone who might try 1.3.4 connect to 1.3.3 a clue.

Not the biggest release ever, but it might still be a good excuse to find your DS again and give it a whirl.

Enjoy,

Patrik

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Thanks, Patrik!
    DS-XL+ZXDS is the best portable speccy out there! :)
    (The wireless multiplayer support is pure gold.)

Happy 35th anniversary, speccy (and ZXDS)!
    Post edited by lfaria on
  • ZXDS is my companion when I travel 6000 miles to go visit Portugal. Thank you!

Any plans to implement Spectranet? It may (could) lead to modified Spectrum games with online multiplayer. We could play against the Specchum next to us, or the one on the other side of the world. The original DS also had this in mind.
  • Wow! Does ZXDS support multiplayer over the internet? I didn't know it..
    Thought the only emulator so far supporting multiplayer was Plus-F at github.
    Could you take a look at this? http://www.naalaa.com/forum/index.php?topic=447.msg2830#msg2830
    It's a p2p game sample using open source libraries of the same author
  • Thanks Patrik, ZXDS is _still_ one of the easiest thing for me to show my Spectrum games to other people.

Thank you so much! (I haven't updated the emulator for a while now... perhaps I should too.)
  • Great news for today, Patrik. My favourite emulator updated, that's very good.

Thanks by your work.
  • Best portable Spectrum emulator by far! Thank you Patrik!!
  • hikoki wrote: »
    Wow! Does ZXDS support multiplayer over the internet? I didn't know it

Er, I didn't say it did. I asked him if he had plans to add it...

• Thank you Patrik - still one of the best Spectrum emulators out there. my Vega+ has not turned up yet so I cannot say how close that gets to ZXDS. :-)

Paddy
  • What DS model is needed to run it ? Does it work on modern 3DS ?
  • edited April 2017
    kpuchatek wrote: »
    What DS model is needed to run it ? Does it work on modern 3DS ?

I recently got a brand new 3DS XL and it runs OK. I even posted pics of it some time ago: :x

IMG_20170305_200656.jpg

IMG_20170305_200638.jpg

Post edited by JuanF. Ramirez on
    Thanked by 1Daren
  • So what do I need to run this ? I have an OLD 3DS. I have homebrew launcher but no custom firmware.
  • I just need a r4 cartridge with a sd card in it.
  • ivanb303 wrote: »
    So what do I need to run this ? I have an OLD 3DS. I have homebrew launcher but no custom firmware.

I can recommend this R4 card.
    http://www.r4wood.com/products/R4-SDHC-Dual-Core-for-3DS-XL-LL-3DS-2DS-DSi.html

Just follow the instructions, installation is so simple.
    Then copy zxds, games and other software to the SD card and play. :)
    Pozdrav.
    Thanked by 2ivanb303 Daren
  • Just popped in to say thank you for your continued development of ZXDS. I only just stumbled across this update. I was pretty happy to see it as I thought you'd maybe moved on from the DS.

So, yeah, thank you. :)
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer. 212 555 4200
  • Still the best and the closest thing to a Vega+ that exists! :-)

Paddy
  • So, I just dipped my toe into ULA+ games. After watching Villordsutch's video on Terra Cresta, I was inspired to try out the ULA+ version on my DS.

Sadly, I can't get it to work. It crashes after the loading screen. Anyone else able to try this out, at all? I'd love to get it working on ZXDS. :)
  • Now the new question is will this work on the new 2DS-XL ? Might be worth getting one just for ZXDS :D
    So far, so meh :)
  • edited July 2017
    Looks really good, but how is the touch screen keyboard to use? That would be a cool solution to several problems for me
    1. I'd finally have a joystick (sort of) to play games with instead of keys (my fingers are too big/clumsy)
    2. I'd have a truly portable Speccy I could tote along with me to use when and where ever
    3. It would allow me to have all my software to hand ready to load.

Are they expensive? Still sold here? I guess I could look 'em up at the Wally world site. Prices are all over the shop
    https://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=nintendo+ds&adid=22222222284218005962&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=30680339889&veh=sem
    Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • mik3d3nch wrote: »
    Looks really good, but how is the touch screen keyboard to use? That would be a cool solution to several problems for me
    1. I'd finally have a joystick (sort of) to play games with instead of keys (my fingers are too big/clumsy)
    2. I'd have a truly portable Speccy I could tote along with me to use when and where ever
    3. It would allow me to have all my software to hand ready to load.

Are they expensive? Still sold here? I guess I could look 'em up at the Wally world site. Prices are all over the shop
    https://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=nintendo+ds&adid=22222222284218005962&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=30680339889&veh=sem

you can map the joypad and buttons to the keys that the game uses and then play the game with those instead. Just tap on the lower screen and the keyboard comes to life and it will accept those inputs too.

ZXDS is makes life so much simpler for a blast of Spectrumness on the move.

• ZXDS is my emulator of choice. I've never been to into the video output of Speccy emus on the PC - few of them go full screen AND have decent filters. I hate the look of the Speccy on a 'clean' LCD screen. Spectulator has, for me, the best video output but it doesn't seem to support ULA+ (at least for me).

So, ZXDS is immersive, intuitive, portable and really compatible... except for Terra Cresta ULA+. MatGubbins, would you mind, if you have time, trying out the game to see if it works for you? I'd appreciate it. :)
  • edited July 2017
    I downloaded the Terra Cresta ULA+ file from here
    http://abrimaal.pro-e.pl/zx/ulaplus.htm

unpacked it on a PC and copied the files onto the microSD card for the DS to use.
    Providing you've got this far then this is how to get things working.

Have ZXDS up and running, use the stylus!!!!
    tap on MODELS and select ZX128 - it will reset
    tap on BACK
    tap on BACK
    tap on IO
    tap on LOAD FILE
    (this bit is down to you as you copied it somewhere onto your microSD card)
    Find and select 'terracr.tap' file, double tap to load it

Once the loading screen appears
    tap on KEYBOARD
    tap on the Spectrum Enter key on the keyboard
    It will now load some more files and run with nice AY music.

tap on BACK
    tap on CONFIG
    tap on VIDEO
    tap on ULA+

you can now tap 1 and 2 to select the enhanced or standard colours - the Terra Cresta and Imagine logos will change hues.

When happy, tap 4 and wait a few seconds and the game will start (credits/author screen), tap any key and the 48k music starts.

tap on BACK
    tap on BACK
    tap on CONTROLS
    tap on QAOPM to select it - up/down/left/right and M are automapped, B should be mapped to SPACE
    tap on KEYBOARD
    tap on 5 to define keys then move the direction controller in the direction required by the game, fire is button A, split is button B

tap on 1 to start game. Everything now looks ULA+ and orangey...

Simple really.... :D
    Post edited by MatGubbins on
    Thanked by 1The Equalizer
  • Thank you so much! I was only loading the TZX and kinda playing around from there. I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree!

I'm off to try this out right now. Thanks again. :)
  • edited July 2017
    polomint wrote: »
    Now the new question is will this work on the new 2DS-XL ? Might be worth getting one just for ZXDS :D

The pics I posted in this thread are from a new 3DS XL. It works, so I'm sure it'll work on a new 2DS XL
    Post edited by JuanF. Ramirez on
  • edited July 2017
    Now the new question is will this work on the new 2DS-XL ? Might be worth getting one just for ZXDS :D

Didn't realise Nintendo have released a new model. Seems to have much more processing power and double the memory of the previous generation.

Patrik - will ZXDS take advantage of the extra processing power by default? Could it support a 7MHz mode?

Many thanks

Paddy

Post edited by Paddy Coleman on
  • Pegaz wrote: »
    ivanb303 wrote: »
    So what do I need to run this ? I have an OLD 3DS. I have homebrew launcher but no custom firmware.

I can recommend this R4 card.
    http://www.r4wood.com/products/R4-SDHC-Dual-Core-for-3DS-XL-LL-3DS-2DS-DSi.html

Just follow the instructions, installation is so simple.
    Then copy zxds, games and other software to the SD card and play. :)
    Pozdrav.

Hi Pozdrav,

One of the comments on this link says these R4 cards are fake?

Paddy
  • edited July 2017

The pics I posted in this thread are from a new 3DS XL. It works, so I'm sure it'll work on a new 2DS XL

Didn't realise Nintendo have released a new model. Seems to have much more processing power and double the memory of the previous generation.

Patrik - will ZXDS take advantage of the extra processing power by default? Could it support a 7MHz mode?

Many thanks

Paddy

Yeah, I think I will get a normal cheap-ish (if I can find one) 3DS-XL, just not a new one :) Then once that is done, I better find some kind of card for it, I only have some kind of R4 card sat in an old DS atm.
    Post edited by polomint on
  • ...will ZXDS take advantage of the extra processing power by default? Could it support a 7MHz mode?
    Since ZXDS is an emulator for the DS, not the native 3DS, it shouldn't benefit from the updated hardware.

• Ok, bought a DSi-XL, I didn't see any point in getting the 3DS. Now for an R4i-SDHC-RTC (if I can ever get my bloody card details to work).
    It seems Barclays blocked the payment lol.. Time to try again. :/
  • The old R4 card you have kicking around should be fine. :)
  • The old R4 card you have kicking around should be fine. :)

I was under the impression that the old R4 does not work with the DSi. The DSi should arrive tomorrow at work, so I will test the old card first before buying another :)