Games for the Magnum Lightgun and Spin

edited October 2004 in Emulators
I have downloaded the games for the Magnum Lightgun from this site but they don't work. I load them in Spin and choose the otion "PC Mouse Emulates Magnum Lightgun" and go to the fullscreen mode and the lightgun doesn't fire. The games work well in a window but I'd like to play them in full screen. Is this the emulator bug?
Post edited by tanium on

Comments

• edited October 2004
    Yes.
  • edited October 2004
    So how can I play these games? Is there any other emulators which support the lightgun?
  • edited October 2004
    I've tested the Magnum Light Phaser games with Real Spectrum and Es.pectrum and they worked fine. Es.pectrum is the only emulator I know able to correctly emulate the light gun in some Spanish games like Mike Gunner or Solo.
  • edited October 2004
    Thanks, you helped me a great deal. I will accept your advive and try Es.pectrum
  • edited October 2004
    Try Real Spectrum too, I know its interface is a bit out-dated in these days of drag-n-drop and the suchlike, but it has a lot of great features and it can emulate the Didaktik Kompakt (providing you have the necessary ROMs), Pentagon and Scorpion, while Es.pectrum can't.
  • edited October 2004
    I believe Spectaculator works well with the lightgun games too.

Regards

Andy
  • edited October 2004
    I would have liked to list it as well :) but I could not spot light gun support on the features list of Jon's page and the last freeware version (that I still use sometimes), to my knowledge, does not support it.

[Update] The help file available on line from Jon's site does not mention light gun emulation either. I believe this could be a good suggestion for Jon concerning features to add to the next version of Spectaculator :)

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-10-04 12:38 ]
  • edited October 2004
    Now, I've tried Es.pectrum and it doesn't work on my Celeron-400 with Windows ME either. Maybe there's something wrong with my computer?
  • edited October 2004
    Spectaculator doesn't support any light guns.

No-one's ever asked for it and I don't need it myself ;)

Jon.
  • edited October 2004
    Hehe, I must have confused it with the AMX mouse or something :).

There's something for your list Jon then :o.

I might have used Lightgun with Spin then.

Regards

Andy
  • edited October 2004
    Andy, there's lots of stuff on my list but I'm not ticking them off very fast at the moment !

Jon.
  • edited October 2004
    SPIN's lightgun support became a tad erratic in 0.41 when we went to a different display routine. I've been meaning to fix it (it'll only take a couple of values to be changed) but haven't got round to it...

Like Jon (but with a very different reason) I've not been progressing with SPIN for the last week or two.

D.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-04 12:57, tanium wrote:
    Now, I've tried Es.pectrum and it doesn't work on my Celeron-400 with Windows ME either. Maybe there's something wrong with my computer?
    My PC is based upon an AMD Athlon 1800 XP processor with 512 MB RAM and an Asus KT-333 board. The OS is Windows 98 SE. Es.pectrum works perfectly on my system. Which kind of problems are you experiencing, exactly? (You can send me an e-mail in private if you want.)
  • edited October 2004
    Well, when I load a game in Es.pectrum and go to fullscreen mode, I don't know why, but the screen flickers and I can even see icons from my Windows desctop and sometimes the screen swithches to the 256-color mode. Sometimes the emulator doesn't even start and I get an error message.
  • edited October 2004
    Maybe, it expects your desktop to be in 16-bit (or even 256?) colour mode or something?
  • edited October 2004
    I don't think that could be the cause. I keep my desktop at 16.8M colours and I am still able to use Es.pectrum with all of its features.
    You should have at least DirectX 7.0 to use it, by the way.

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-10-05 21:00 ]
  • edited October 2004
    I have DirectX 8.1.,russian version. Another question I want to ask: does Es.pectrum use OpenGL? If it does that could be the problem because OpenGL doesn't work on my computer.
  • edited October 2004
    Sounds like this (from the Spectaculator support page):
    Fullscreen mode does not work properly on Windows XP. I get a 640x480 desktop in 256 colours. If I click the Spectaculator tab on the task bar twice, the screen then appears as normal.

This problem only occurs if you have installed the KB824141 hot fix issued by Microsoft recently and you are running Windows XP. The same patch does not appear to cause this problem on other versions of Windows.

The only current workaround is to remove the patch using Add/Remove programs. However, you must do this at your own risk.

It is unclear why KB824141 should affect entering fullscreen mode given the nature of the patch. This item will be updated when more information is available.

Note: Windows Update marks KB824141 down for installation since it is in the Critical Updates and Service Packs category. You will have to manually de-select it to avoid installation.

This broke quite a few other emulators. Interestingly, it all works again now with SP2 installed.

Just a guess... :)

Jon.

http://www.spectaculator.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Needle on 2004-10-06 09:57 ]
  • edited October 2004
    Thanks for the info Jon, but since he has Windows ME installed, maybe it's not that either.
    On 2004-10-06 09:31, tanium wrote:
    I have DirectX 8.1.,russian version. Another question I want to ask: does Es.pectrum use OpenGL? If it does that could be the problem because OpenGL doesn't work on my computer.

No. Judging by the few notes that come with the emulator, the hardware pixel scaling is done with Direct Draw.
    Maybe you could drop a line to Javier at his e-mail address and tell him about the problems you've had. His address is Javi@fsmail.net
    In the meantime you can always play those light gun games on Real Spectrum :)
  • edited October 2004
    Sounds like the kind of problem you get when your video drivers aren't fully compliant with the version of DirectX you have installed.

Have you tried updating them?
  • edited October 2004
    Does anyone know how lightguns and pens actually work? I never could get my head round it
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-07 12:25, Antiriad wrote:
    Does anyone know how lightguns and pens actually work? I never could get my head round it

Badly.

D.
  • edited October 2004

Badly.

The Spectrum ones, yes. :)

Proper ones (Arcade machines / SNES SuperScope / Amstrad Pluses) have special hardware in the machine so that when the sensor in the gun detects the raster beam it stores the guns position in hardware registers.

Crap ones, like the Magnum Lightphaser, achieve the same effect by detecting bright white areas of the screen. It's up to the programmer to identify which section of the screen that is, which was usually done by flashing a ruddy great big black/white bar across the screen and noting where it got detected.

This has the side effect of instantly making the game look shite. I wonder why it never caught on...
  • edited October 2004
    I've tried the Magnum Light Phaser games on Real Spectrum and they work well on my machine. I also liked that Real Spectrum has a built-in player of .AY files and TR-DOS support.

Thanx for your help.
  • edited October 2004
    Sometimes they make a white square or rectangle which looks a lot better than the full horizontal strips.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-08 14:02, Fraser wrote:
    Sometimes they make a white square or rectangle which looks a lot better than the full horizontal strips.

Well, in the same way that having your hand chopped off is better than losing your entire arm...

[ This Message was edited by: AndyC on 2004-10-09 04:11 ]
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-07 13:32, Dunny wrote:
    On 2004-10-07 12:25, Antiriad wrote:

Badly.

D.

lol. I remember owning a lightpen back in the day, it was a bizarre thing indeed.