New Game - Biscuits in Hell.

edited October 2017 in Brand new software
BIH_0.gifBIH_1.gif

This game was originally only available on the Monument Microgames EFMB cassette, but now we're making it available to the unwashed masses.

Biscuits in Hell is a challenging 8 level platform romp, and like the derivation of the word 'biscuit', the game is also twice baked as it was originally intended to be EFMB redux.

It's difficult, but with good reactions, observation, strategy and a little luck it can be completed. You'll need most of the 128 lives though. Monument Microgames offered prizes for the first 3 people to complete it, 1st & 2nd have been claimed but the badge for #3 is still up for grabs. Just send MM or Graz the code it gives you.

There is hacking protection, so if you cheat the code will probably not be the right one. I've also included snapshot detection, but not in any real sense.

Remember, you can run offscreen and appear at the other, teleporters go up/down but only when you stand on them (you cannot teleport up through one).

It's hard, short and fun. Enjoy.

DOWNLOAD from here.
http://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=96&id=30446

Partyrings.jpg

Post edited by R-Tape on

Comments

• I am the great unwashed! Yay!
    I am from that generation, when Pluto was still a planet, and the Earth is round.

Bomb Munchies on WOS thread
    Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
    Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK
  • Great game! :)
  • Damn nice game. Love the sound effects (playing it on a 48K machine). Too bad my patience is incompatible with such games.

Great job, Dave!
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • Very good game!
  • It's Jumping Jack.... on Acid.
    On the horrible biscuit level that make me go blurrrgghh.
    I am from that generation, when Pluto was still a planet, and the Earth is round.

Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
  • The Crew Of The Jammy Dodger Survives!

stoop_jammie_dodgers_by_stupjam-d5q12i3.png

• Thanks for playing all!

Cripes, looks like 3rd place has been taken already! Easier, or more hackable than I realised.

There's still 4th and 5th prize up for grabs, the prize is a pack of your favourite type of biscuit* sent anywhere** in the world. Rolos and Jaffa cakes count as biscuits in this thread.

* within reason
    **within reason

• Can I get a steak instead? I don’t eat carbs.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

• Sorry Ast, I've spoken to the international biscuit council and there are no grey areas in this case - regulation 6435 clearly states that steak is not a biscuit.
  • Darn it.

• Great game and great concept.

Needs the Nirvana+ treatment to take it to the next level.

Regards,
    Derek.
    1985: ZX Spectrum+ 48K Interface 1 ZX81 16KB ASZMIC/SP ROM Philips 12" B/W TV Epson Dot Matrix Printer ZX Printer Now: Late 2015 iMac 5K 27" 4GHz i7 32GB RAM macOS 10.15.6 beta 2 1TB Ext SSD USB C Drive Ext 4TB 3TB and 2TB USB 3 Hard Disks Ext USB 3 Blu-Ray iPad R7 32GB iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 13.5.1 Apple TV Gen 2
  • edited October 2017
    Ahem, I'd like to rescind the offer of a pack of biscuits sent anywhere in the world for 4th and 5th place. In the cold, hard light of day it seems a bit silly. Sorry!

Congratulations to Mat Gubbins though, who will recieve a badge and a pack of Jammie Dodgers.

dbolli wrote: »
    Great game and great concept.

Needs the Nirvana+ treatment to take it to the next level.

Regards,
    Derek.

Cheers.

I considered a Nirvana version in the past, I think the number of sprites would have to come down to 8, possibly 6 depending how they are drawn/deleted. It would be a benefit that most sprites stay on the same level. Probably quite easy to keep at 25 fps too.

I like the idea of a Nirvana version of this but with a twist, I think a pure conversion would lose something.

Post edited by R-Tape on
  • Very good game!
    Congratulations.
  • I bought this on cassette the other day and I'm bloody **** at it I can't even get past the first level. :)) The whole tape is full of fun but these biscuits you speak of are the shortbreads of the Belzebub himself. Maybe you have diamond fibres for nerves ? I was just happy I got to Level 4 on EFMB
  • ivanb303 wrote: »
    I bought this on cassette the other day and I'm bloody **** at it I can't even get past the first level. :)) The whole tape is full of fun but these biscuits you speak of are the shortbreads of the Belzebub himself. Maybe you have diamond fibres for nerves ? I was just happy I got to Level 4 on EFMB

Heh sorry!

You just need to relax into it and feel the farce. It's a lot easier for me as it's my game, I should know every nuance and trick going.

If you can work up to complete level 1 then level 2 is possible, and then...

• This is gong to be my next purchase in Monument Microgames! :)
  • Today I have been on a biscuit hunt of the local town in the quest to find some pink wafers, it has been a difficult task of finding them.
    Sainsburys - stopped stocking them about a year ago (they said that people ask on a weekly basis where they are).
    Tesco - nope... next please!
    Lidl and Aldi, nope, not going to ask the busy staff member (singular) running the store.
    Morrisions and Asda are on the other side of the train track and the roads are a deathtrap for pedestrians at the crossings that never work properly (it has always been that way), so they didn't get a visit.

It was left to Iceland to win the game and they had the Pink Panther Pink Wafers at 50p a pack. I bought a few packs to keep me alive until the end of the year.

Just visited Sainsburys website, yes, they sell the same pack at 70p, but not in my store, so no home delivery.

They're wafers... and they are pink. Rinky-dink-dink-panthers

• edited October 2017
    (At risk of turning this thread into the saucer thread...)

Hannnnngggg on! Pink Wafers are okay but you don't like Party Rings??

MatGubbins wrote: »
    Morrisions and Asda are on the other side of the train track and the roads are a deathtrap for pedestrians at the crossings that never work properly (it has always been that way), so they didn't get a visit.

Horace goes shopping!

Post edited by R-Tape on
  • It's all about the texture and the taste man, those party rings along with those mini ice gem things are the biscuits from hell (tm), the pink wafers are true bliss.

• 37361,0 - Could be useful.
    40159,x - Also could help
  • edited October 2017
    giphy.gif

I'll get you Ryals, next time...

Post edited by R-Tape on
  • Sorry.
  • Kidding :-)

I can't remember for sure but I'll be disappointed in myself if those pokes deliver the correct completion code. Now the top 3 prizes have gone the more people that enjoy it the better.

• I only looked for lives I didnt want to spoil the competition looking for pokes for the completion codes. I could have just looked for the level counter and poked it that way 8-)
  • Two people brought biscuits into work today, reminded me that I hadn't played this yet.

Managed to make it onto level 2, but doubt I'll get off that one. :((

...Is there a custard cream level?
  • Sadly, no custard cream level.

Keep going, level 3 is even more difficult than level 2.

• This looks great! I'm enjoying playing so far. And craving sweets.

Any plan to release a localized NTSC version called Cookies from Hell? ;)
  • No custard cream level? I have no words.

...Apart from this fun fact: I think this is the only Speccy game involving biscuits. I did a search in the archive for 'biscuit' and this was the only one that came up.
  • Yup, but there are lots of biscuits out there, Mr Tape picked his faves and they made it into the game.
    Garibaldi biscuit. Warning: May contain dead flies.