Fuse 1.4.1 released

A new release of Fuse, the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator, is now available at the SourceForge project:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-emulator/

Highlights of this release include:
  • Improvements to the loader acceleration code to reduce errors - Blood Brothers, City Slicker, Driller, Dynamite Dan, Games Compendium (by Gremlin), Joe Blade II, Kokotoni Wilf, Powerplay, Saboteur, Trapdoor and Zanthrax now all load successfully
  • Multiface 3 returns values stored from ports 0x1ffd and 0x7ffd
  • Set contention for DivIDE/DivMMC EPROM memory and clear data to 1's
  • Debugger: Allow an exit code to be specified when using the "exit" command
  • Debugger: Add new "tape:microphone" and "spectrum:frames" system variables to allow access to the current tape level and frame count since reset
  • Correct enabling of ide slave menu item
  • Add *.mlt as an allowed filetype to file selectors

Upgrade to libspectrum 1.4.1 to fix generation of malformed RZXs

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this release. Source code and binaries for Windows are currenly available on the SourceForge site; compiled binaries for various other platforms should become available in the next few days.

Comments

• Fred wrote: »
    • Debugger: Allow an exit code to be specified when using the "exit" command

I didn’t know there was this command in the debugger. At least it’s not mentioned in v1.4.0 for macOS (or I’m missing something).
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • I didn’t know there was this command in the debugger. At least it’s not mentioned in v1.4.0 for macOS (or I’m missing something).

This command isn't present on the macOS port as the main thread doesn't hear about exiting till it's too late. If you need to use this kind of functionality on the mac, you can use the UNIX version instead.
    Thanked by 1Ast_A_Moore
  • Got it. Thanks!
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • I'm trying to start Fuse on the Minibian distro, but I always get error: couldnt find font file 'fuse.font'.
    Installation was successful, but I cant find the location where this file is located.
    Can I install fuse.font separately and how?
  • I’m not familiar with that distro - how did you install Fuse?
  • Its Debian (Raspbian jessie) based distro.
    I used standard Raspbian method from Retropie package script, something like this:
    ./configure --disable-shared
    make clean
    make
    for libspectrum and then fuse 1.4.0 with:

./configure --prefix="$md_inst" --without-libao --without-gpm --without-gtk --without-libxml2 --with-sdl LIBSPECTRUM_CFLAGS="-I$md_build/libspectrum" LIBSPECTRUM_LIBS="-L$md_build/libspectrum/.libs -lspectrum"
    make clean
    make
    make install

Which package contains this fuse font, anyway?
  • Ofc this is just part of the Retropie fuse install script, which worked on the standard raspbian distro in Retropie.
  • Pegaz wrote: »
    I'm trying to start Fuse on the Minibian distro, but I always get error: couldnt find font file 'fuse.font'.
    Installation was successful, but I cant find the location where this file is located.
    Can I install fuse.font separately and how?

It's generated in fuse/ui/widget/fuse.font and "make install" should install it into $md_inst/share/fuse/fuse.font (based on your prefix option).

At runtime, it's loaded from:
    1. current dir (or)
    2. fuse/ui/widget/fuse.font (or)
    3. $md_inst/share/fuse/fuse.font

It's not recommended moving (relocating) executables/directories after install.
  • In the meantime I installed v1.4.1 and everything worked properly.
    I've moved some directories and probably messed up something.
    Thank you.
  • Debugger: Add new "tape:microphone" and "spectrum:frames" system variables to allow access to the current tape level and frame count since reset

Cool
    thats close to my unquestioned question which was about tape timings.
    I wanted to ask if its possible to set a byte counter on a pure *.wav file so its easy(ier) to use it.
    maybe then its possible to preset the counter and start in the middle of a wav.

Another little thingie is that pressing the ALT key seems to disturb the timings. If i press ALT then all the border effects disappear until key release and then the border effect is back on place. i noticed it while making an printscreen from fuse (1.4.0) and then using ALT+PrntScrn to select the fuse-window as a single object.
    with a normal cq whole-screen print the border is fetched in a normal visible way.
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file