Forums

Comments

• What do you guys think to being able to reply to individual replies?
    My test signature
  • I don't understand the question. If someone posts a response and then someone else responds to that which is what we have here now, isn't that the same thing?
  • edited February 2018
    I'm not sure I fully follow either.

I understand quoting as being beneficial, then you can reply to snippets of a comment, or the full thing.

Are you @Lee Fogarty suggesting making each comment basically a comment-thread of its own within an OP's thread?
    Similar to a directory structure of your HD? And if so, would one be able to make branching forks within the conversation?

Might make for a confusing conversation. But it might also make for a more in-depth delving of matters.

I'm of both minds. And perhaps I don't know what is being suggested. As long as we can still quote others, then I'm ok with "whatever".
    Post edited by F_Clowder on
    What now?
  • F_Clowder wrote: »
    Are you @Lee Fogarty suggesting making each comment basically a comment-thread of its own within an OP's thread?

If that’s what it is, I’m strongly against this approach. It ends up becoming a pile of replies to replies to replies, and over time the thread (which isn’t really a thread any longer) becomes unreadable. Quoting and @-tagging provides more than enough context.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
    Thanked by 1F_Clowder
  • ^^^ Yes, come to think of it, it takes away the linear chronology of a thread.
    What now?
  • I was thinking more of just one level. So you can reply to a reply but only one level deep. In hindsight it might be a bad idea :) I had another bad idea of letting mods/admin change a discussion so that the starter can edit it at any time (IE make code updates, amend lists, etc). But then everyone would be insisting the mods let them do it for every post they make lol
    My test signature
  • edited February 2018
    @Lee Fogarty You know how there is a 1 hour limit on doing a complete edit of ones comment. How about keeping that but then allowing edits to be added ad-infinitum. And then the same rule applies to each edit, it becomes set in stone after an hour. Sound reasonable or completely ridiculous? And keep a date/time stamp under each edit, like in the old forum software.
    What now?
  • I find it necessary to (sometimes) change thread titles. What started as a “Need help with this,” might end up with “How to solve such-and-such problem. A step-by-step tutorial.” Not to beat my own drum, but the discovery of the floating bus on the +2A/+3 started with my creating a thread asking for help from people with real hardware to test a few ideas.

There’s a technical catch, however. Thread URLs contain their names, so renaming them will break the existing links. Not good.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • There’s a technical catch, however. Thread URLs contain their names, so renaming them will break the existing links. Not good.

Not always - if it's considered at the start of development, the thread number can be used instead (the new system has number/slug in the url) - the slug can be ignored.
    My test signature
  • Adding to my proposal of unlimited edits:
    Once a thread is locked, there is no going back to any comments.
    What now?
  • Alternatively, what about the admin/moderators having a button that they can tick, that enables a user to edit an existing post for a time period of one hour. The forum keeps a copy of the original post, so that if the admin/moderators need to, they can refer back to it.

This system would allow a user to ask the admin/moderators for permission to edit a post. The admin/moderator then either allows or rejects the request. If allowed, the user gets to edit that post. Later, the admin/moderator can review the original next to the edited version. And revert back, or edit it further if needed.

This system then allows the admin/moderator team to maintain control.

Mark
  • Sometimes one may need more than one hour to edit a post. I speak from experience :-D ( You mean lack thereof... -Ed)

Anyways, if it's an hour, then it starts ticking down as soon as the user logs in. Can be hard to force a person to do it right at the time the mod clicks the button, f.ex. if a user makes the request via PM but is in South America and the mod might be in Japan, reading the request during nighttime of the user. Make sense? I mean the mod's allowing to edit may not necessarily take place at the time of the user's request to edit.
    1024MAK wrote: »
    ...for a time period of one hour...

What now?
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    Alternatively, what about the admin/moderators having a button that they can tick, that enables a user to edit an existing post for a time period of one hour. The forum keeps a copy of the original post, so that if the admin/moderators need to, they can refer back to it.

This system would allow a user to ask the admin/moderators for permission to edit a post. The admin/moderator then either allows or rejects the request. If allowed, the user gets to edit that post. Later, the admin/moderator can review the original next to the edited version. And revert back, or edit it further if needed.

This system then allows the admin/moderator team to maintain control.

Mark

That was along my line of thought. However I speak from experience that some users will see it as a right to demand every discussion they started be edited and start hassling the mods.

My suggestion there for a solution is to give the mods access to allow a discussion to be edited permanently by the starter, but if users take advantage or hassle the mods, I can remove the mods access to do that. That effectively closes the feature, and the mods can't be hassled :)
    My test signature
  • These screens display the same data whether you are logged in or not, and on all of your devices. They are then synchronized across devices. At the moment, the best way for this to work is to log in before you do anything else otherwise the data goes wrong (it's a fix I will look at later, but not a priority)

Unread posts

forum-unreadposts.png

My Bookmarks

forum-mybookmarks.png

My Discussions

forum-mydiscussions.png

My Comments (this needs changing to remove bbcodes)

forum-mycomments.png

Latest Posts

form-latestposts.png
    My test signature
  • These screens are mostly related to profiles which are site wide rather than just forums

profile-view.png

profile-editpic.png

profile-sig.png
    My test signature
  • @Lee Fogarty
    What does this mean? Is WoS becoming more than "just" the forums?
    These screens are mostly related to profiles which are site wide rather than just forums

What now?
  • F_Clowder wrote: »
    @Lee Fogarty
    These screens are mostly related to profiles which are site wide rather than just forums
    WoS has always been much more than "just" forums.

I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • I completely agree with you there, and I know what you mean. Aside from that, I am just wondering what Lee means. Will our WoS profile move with us to the Archive, for instance? Like if we want to leave a review, or something like that?
    F_Clowder wrote: »
    @Lee Fogarty
    WoS has always been much more than "just" forums.

What now?
  • Yes - your profile will be for WoS as a whole, so you can submit reviews, vote on titles, etc - a more interactive WoS.
    My test signature
  • And by doing votes by username only, it will reduce fake votes. There will also be a comments section per page
    My test signature
  • Ok, I like it! Both, if not more, thumbs up!
    What now?
  • World of Commode...

commode.png
    My test signature
  • edited February 2018
    ^^^ It needs to go from brown to browner. The gradient at the top, I mean.
    What now?
  • It looks better than the konami code one I did on the live domain
    My test signature
  • edited February 2018
    ^^^ Pics, or it didn't happen.
    PS I've had a few, so you could show me a pic of a cartoon beaver and I'd be like, yeah, that looks about right :-bd
    What now?
  • You don't need pics. You need to go to any page on the live domain and type the konami code :)
    My test signature
  • All right. Let's just assume for a very short split second that I'm completely ignorant about what you're talking about... What would I need to do to get there?
    What now?
  • live.worldofspectrum.org

On any page, type the Konami code - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a
    My test signature
  • edited February 2018
    I remain blissfully and utterly clueless as usual about the topic under discussion
    or to put it more directly
    what the hell is a Konami code and why does it have anything to do with the new WoS?
    Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • The Konami code was started in the 80's by Konami to unlock cheat modes or some other features. It was picked up by other companies, and later on some websites. Typing the code into some websites changes layouts or puts some fun stuff on the screen. It's not important - just a bit of fun.
    My test signature