Can my PC read my text back to me?

I have Word and Office on this HP laptop running Vista. I tried the help but got nowhere. Do PC's have the facility to speak from a text file?

Comments

• edited February 2018
    I'm not sure how it actually works in Vista, as I'm on Win10 but I believe I found the instructions for you:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/306902/how-to-configure-and-use-text-to-speech-in-windows-xp-and-in-windows-v
    Post edited by F_Clowder on
    What now?
  • if there is any technical jargon, or other stuff in there that you're unsure of, you can drop a question here.

F.ex. the feature you're looking for is called TTS=Text To Speech.
    What now?
    Thanked by 1mik3d3nch
  • Thanks a lot F_Clowder that was very helpful. Why the Speech control panel settings are hidden in 32bit options and not the 64 where it doesnt show up, I cannot for the life of me work out.

Okay next question. Where can I find FREE voices that are less robotic? I installed Balabolka and it shows some very nice natural sounding demos but they are all commercial. Surely there must be some shareware/freeware options? Anyone?
  • edited February 2018
    https://ttsreader.com/

you can select voices from the drop down bar and there is a Chrome extension.
    Post edited by ASH-II on
    Thanked by 1mik3d3nch
  • I once accidentally enabled a talk function (held a key down too long and then did something else while distracted). It took me five minutes to disable the darned thing! Not something you really want in a work environment!!! I think it was the talk system for the visually impaired.

Mark
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    I once accidentally enabled a talk function (held a key down too long and then did something else while distracted). It took me five minutes to disable the darned thing! Not something you really want in a work environment!!! I think it was the talk system for the visually impaired.

Mark

No I quite agree. However for a writer especially one my age its damn useful. I cannot read hundreds of pages of text onscreen my eyes dont like it. However I find that reading aloud makes it easier to spot errors and more enjoyable to listen to as in an Ebook which I use to send me to sleep each night.

• ASH-II wrote: »
    https://ttsreader.com/

you can select voices from the drop down bar and there is a Chrome extension.

Thanks Ash-II for a very useful tip.
  • mik3d3nch wrote: »
    1024MAK wrote: »
    I once accidentally enabled a talk function (held a key down too long and then did something else while distracted). It took me five minutes to disable the darned thing! Not something you really want in a work environment!!! I think it was the talk system for the visually impaired.

Mark

No I quite agree. However for a writer especially one my age its damn useful. I cannot read hundreds of pages of text onscreen my eyes dont like it. However I find that reading aloud makes it easier to spot errors and more enjoyable to listen to as in an Ebook which I use to send me to sleep each night.
    Sorry, let me make my comments a bit more clear. I meant that the unintentional activation of such a facility was the problem for me. Obviously, it may be a very useful facility for users who want it.

If it is of any use, I was using a near standard version of Windows 7 at the time. I think it was either the left shift key or left control key that I kept held down. I know that this can also activate the sticky keys facility.

Mark
  • I knew what you meant Mark! If you activate that magnifying glass thingie in Win 7 just try getting rid of THAT! Oh sure you can click its little X in the top right and its gone but next time you boot up, guess who's back?
  • Aargh, don’t remind me about the sticky keys!

I’m with you Mike, I also fall asleep listening to unabridged audio books. And YouTube videos - the joulespercoloumb spectrum repair videos are particularly soothing and hypnotic :)

I also have some kind of sensory overloading/oversensitivity problem that’s got worse with age (probably an aspergersy spectrum thing) and it really helps to block out the competing visual channel and just listen :/
    Robin Verhagen-Guest
    SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
    NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
  • Yes Robin my eys are starting to give me gyp too. I have a message base website that I use to write my stories on for the benefit of my friends and the glare - just like this page - of all that white and fairly wishy washy text gives me headaches. So I've just changed it over to pink text on black which is much easier to read although I'd have preferred some other text colour.
  • Yeah, it really sucks. I’ve always been shortsighted, then I had laser eye surgery about six years ago and got back to almost 20/20 vision.

But I’ve ruined them again with too many bright retina screens and long work days in front of the monitor. Plus the age-related neefdng reading glasses thing has really started to kick in.

I tried to solder up a cable the other day and got really depressed. Can’t do it at all without a magnifier and light :(
    Robin Verhagen-Guest
  • I'm not a fan of bright screens either but most of my work tends to be black-on-white background. If you've installed the Creators Update on Windows 10 then Night Light tones everything down nicely when you enable it (which I do - permanently). I think you're using Vista IIRC Mike so you could try giving f.lux a go. It does basically the same thing.
    Thanked by 1mik3d3nch
  • edited February 2018
    Vampyre wrote: »
    Night Light... f.lux...

Yeah, these are great. Also something similar on the iphone and ipad. Not great for graphic work though. Your eyes adjust to the warm tones, then when you turn it off everything looks blue. The older versions of f.lux used to leave the mouse pointer pure white, so it actually looked neon cyan after your eyes adjusted!

Re: the soldering, I used to get away with putting the work piece in blue tac/bulldog clips, the iron in one hand, wire in the other, and solder in my mouth (it's just a bit of lead, it'll be fine!).

Post edited by colonel32 on
    Robin Verhagen-Guest
  • Thanks very much Vampyre, I got that f.lux and hopefully it will ease the eyestrain. Cannot tell much now as its just past midday but later on the change should be noticeable.
  • Not sure if I mentioned it on WOS before, but there's also add-ons (I'm using Firefox) to address the glare of white backgrounds which I've come to dread over the years. I use an add-on called "Dark Background and Light Text" which lets you define a few colours (mainly background, main text colour and visited/not-visited hyperlinks) and you can enable/disable it on a per-page basis in case never want it on a specific page.

I've enclosed a screenshot of how it looks on my screen as I type this reply. As you can see, I also use fairly large font sizes simply to further reduce eyestrain.

akw8TS6.jpg
  • edited February 2018
    Thats brill XTM! Oh yeah! Just installed it, exactly what I needed.

Thanks a lot and once again thanks to everyone who has given me useful advice thats greatly improving my PC sessions.
    Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • OKAY! Now how can I get my Wordpad or Windows in general to do this reverse (white on black) trick? Oh and does anyone know how to get Wordpad to default to 16pt Arial, instead of me having to change it each time?
  • colonel32 wrote: »
    Yeah, these are great. Also something similar on the iphone and ipad. Not great for graphic work though. Your eyes adjust to the warm tones, then when you turn it off everything looks blue. The older versions of f.lux used to leave the mouse pointer pure white, so it actually looked neon cyan after your eyes adjusted!
    This reminds me of something that happened about 15 years ago. We were doing a website for a client and he was adamant that this one particular hyperlink wasn't red enough. I don't know how familiar everyone is with the way colour hex codes work in CSS but basically the code #ff0000 doesn't get any redder!

Remote to his machine and of course it looks absolutely fine. Eventually we send out an IT technician and the tw@ has adjusted his monitor settings! The fact that every colour was slightly off was completely lost on him.
  • mik3d3nch wrote: »
    Oh and does anyone know how to get Wordpad to default to 16pt Arial, instead of me having to change it each time?

Not tried this myself Mike, as I don't use WordPad, but this here will probably work.
    Thanked by 1mik3d3nch