what are the differences between the 48K spectrum and the spectrum+ ?

^^^^^ see above ^^^^^
Post edited by guesser on
My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.

Comments

• edited October 2004
    The keyboard and a built in reset button.

• edited October 2004
    any rom/software or motherboard changes?
    or just a new "box"???

My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited October 2004
    Probably another issue of the board ? Yes (i.e 6a)
    Another ROM? No !

I often just changed the motherboard from a 48K to a defect Spectrum+
    (and soldered the reset button on it.)
  • edited October 2004
    Probably another issue of the board ? Yes (i.e 6a)
    Another ROM? No !

• edited October 2004
    Thanks for the info!

you sound like you know your way around a soldering iron, can you tell me, if the big squre transistor blows up where is the problem likely to be. maybye i can get my speccy out of the garage and fix it up ;)

• edited October 2004
    Some Spectrum+ were ordinary Spectrums which were sent back to Sinclair to be upgraded, so they won't all have the same motherboard - in theory they could have any motherboard, but there will be a whole lot more with the board revision that was current when the + was launched (or later revisions, if any) than earlier revisions.

I did hear of a Spectrum+ that someone bought second hand, found they could only play 16k games & assumed it had faulty memory chips - when it was opened up, it turned out it was a 16k Spectrum inside a + case upgrade.
  • edited October 2004
    I think the board is an issue 6a, I had to put a new modulator from an issue 3 board on it, as the modulator was missing, and i think at the time I noticed that the issue number was different. As I said, the power transistor has blown, and I can't find any bridges on the board etc, Is it just the transistor was dodgy, or something more serious??
  • edited October 2004
    I have changed the transistor, and the new one blew too, :(
    any help would be much appreciated, before my dad says "well it doesn't work, Throw it away" again!
  • The colour ?
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • I had a Spectrum + with an issue 4S board.

The only changes are the keyboard and that reset button. Both things can be retrofitted to any Spectrum, so I guess there are no differences.

BTW... didn't some boards need some pull up resistors to read the + keyboard reliably?
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • I once bought a Spectrum + as " Working ", when it arrived, it was an empty shell !
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • The name... :)
    So far, so meh :)
  • IIRC the Spectrum+ was also sold as an upgrade kit. So you could have any issue board that was current at the time inside. Which is probably common.

Summarized: ZX Spectrum 16 or 48K, better keyboard + reset button.
  • Why the hell are people bumping this thread from over a decade ago? 8-}

Just in case you're all in suspense, I fixed the machine...
  • It's the new "in" thing to bump decades old threads 8-}
  • I like it. It's very 'retro'.
    My only Speccy game (so far): a simple snake clone
  • I would never bump an old thread myself :))
  • IIRC the Spectrum+ was also sold as an upgrade kit. So you could have any issue board that was current at the time inside. Which is probably common.

Summarized: ZX Spectrum 16 or 48K, better keyboard + reset button.

I bought one of these upgrade kits when they were released and, er, upgraded. I thought it was fantastic at the time. Now, it's the only Spectrum I own which isn't fully working, I bought a rubber key model recently in favour if fixing it!
  • The 'plus' also had little fold away feet so you could angle the machine if you so desired (well I think it did anyway)
  • Also, if you rubbed it the right way a Genie appeared and granted you three wishes, or so I am told ! ;)
  • Grey key, have you been rubbing feet again :-O
  • I have so many feet in my repair kit, I could be a centipede :))

Mostly rubber ones ( original and not modern ) which could be a problem as I am always losing socks !
  • The cover didn't come unstuck.
  • The 'plus' also had little fold away feet so you could angle the machine if you so desired (well I think it did anyway)

That's right.
  • The colour

Damn ! :)
  • The biggest difference is, that rubber Spectrum has a much better keyboard.
    I always thought that the Spectrum+ keyboard is utter rubbish ..
  • Pegaz wrote: »
    The biggest difference is, that rubber Spectrum has a much better keyboard.
    I always thought that the Spectrum+ keyboard is utter rubbish ..

I like them both. I also think that the + in particular was the smartest looking computer around, compared to other computers on offer when it was released. I wouldn't call the + rubbish to use, I was very happy with it but it didn't offer a substantial improvement over the other.
  • edited September 2016
    Rubber keys were quite good at least for games, also with a little practice I achieved decent speed typing basic programs.
    Playing games at + keyboard was terrible experience and fast typing it was only a dream.
    btw, I'm not even talking about the design, but still rubber Spectrum and Spectrum +3 are far more attractive to me.
    Post edited by Pegaz on
  • guesser wrote: »
    Why the hell are people bumping this thread from over a decade ago? 8-}

What was up with it? The "big square transistor" is probably the 7805 5V regulator and if it blew up twice, there must have been something else wrong with it ?
  • guesser wrote: »
    Why the hell are people bumping this thread from over a decade ago? 8-}

So did you fix it ?

;)