Frankie's ZX Spectrum Digouts

Well, time has come to contribute :-)

I got this huge collection of pirat tapes I bought from someone over here in Denmark in the late 90s, a total of about 170 tapes. They contain a lot of stuff not on WOS, of all kind, games, utilities, demos and selfmade/type-in programs. Think the dude I bought it from must have been in a hacker group back then with all that stuff :-)

I'll use this thread to put stuff up from these tapes, and other stuff I got.

As I like all of us are a busy man, I'll do some uploads once in a while, maybe doing one tape at a time, but please don't think I'll upload everything in one go over the next month or so :-)

Also, don't beat me up, if some of it does already exist, but hasn't been uploaded to WOS yet. Really hard to figure out what is and what isn't these days :-(

Comments

• edited June 2018

https://dropbox.com/s/i9vi0rtcfhhet95/Castle%20of%20Terror%20001.zip?dl=0

Title: Castle of Terror (Part 1)
    Year: 1985
    Company: Melbourne House
    Author(s): Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini (Ramacoss Ltd.)
    Type: Game (Adventure)
    Message Language: English
    Source: Not original tape
    Filetype: TZX and TAP
    Reason for Uplaod: To replace the Z80 file on WOS with a TZX/TAP which include loading screen
    Note: Before you ask, no I don't have the second part :-( Also, never heard of Ramacoss Ltd. or the programmer. Can we be sure it was official Melbourne House stuff (that never got released), or just some dudes who created a Spectrum version, and ran out of stamina before doing part two? Thoughts please :-)

Post edited by Frankie on
    Thanked by 1xx3884

ttps://dropbox.com/s/2jdbsc0fkmxeqwc/Don%20Juans%20et%20Dragueurs.zip?dl=0

Title: Don Juans et Dragueurs
    Year: 1984
    Company: ERE Informatique
    Author(s): Michel Brassinne & Eric Tollemer
    Type: Game (Strategy)
    Message Language: French
    Reason for Uplaod: MIA
    Note: Wish I knew what was going on :-)
    Thanked by 1xx3884

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10e6afq7oh8yiat/Dood Spoor 003.zip?dl=0

Title: Dood Spoor
    Year: 1984
    Company: Micro Connection
    Author(s): ?
    Message Language: Dutch
    Reason for Uplaod: uMIA
    Note: A Dutch adventure written with Quill it seems
    Thanked by 1xx3884

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg5d4jl3gzn665e/Horacio Glutao 004.zip?dl=0

Title: Horacio Glutao
    Year: 1983
    Company: Timex Portugal lda
    Author(s): Alfamicro lda
    Type: Game (Arcade-Maze)
    Message Language: Portuguese
    Reason for Uplaod: MIA (Mentioned on WOS as released by Sinclair Research Ltd.)
    Note: You guessed it, its the Portuguese version of Hungry Horace :-)
    Thanked by 1xx3884

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbik6pbujwsgjzs/Kachiri 005.zip?dl=0

Title: Kachiri
    Year: ?
    Company: Sprites
    Author(s): L. Rousset, E. Caberia & E.V. Elias
    Type: Game (Arcade Adventure)
    Message Language: French
    Reason for Upload: MIA
    Note: No idea what this is all about. Any French users here who can help?
    Thanked by 1xx3884
  • First of all I would like to thank you for sharing all this material with all of us :)
    Those tapes are pure gold, so far you have found things that could have been lost forever.

Many thanks for preserving, I will follow this post, the most interesting in WoS for a very long time ;)
  • edited June 2018
    Ivanzx wrote: »
    First of all I would like to thank you for sharing all this material with all of us :)
    Those tapes are pure gold, so far you have found things that could have been lost forever.

Many thanks for preserving, I will follow this post, the most interesting in WoS for a very long time ;)

Thank you :-) There will be a lot that many would call rubbish, but I’ve always thought everything should be keept :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffezoahe7gkk2o2/Mikie (AOD Load).zip?dl=0

Title: Mikie (AOD Load)
    Year: 1985/1986
    Company: Imagine
    Author(s):
    Type:
    Message Language: Danish/English
    Source: Not original tape (of course)
    Filetype: TZX
    Reason for Upload: Doubt this will end up on WOS :-) Just for those who collects or just want to see everything ZX Spectrum :-)
    Note: This is a Danish cracking group called 'Alt om Data's crack of Mikie. Interesting load for some. Can't remember them from bitd, maybe they did not go for long, or changed name. Oh, and I can't get past the POKES (Y/N) question after it has loaded, if you succeed, please let me know how :-) We all know the game anyway, it's the load of the game that is interesting :-)
    Thanked by 1xx3884
  • edited June 2018
    Cheers Frankie i echo Ivans comments, although i dont speak Dutch, French, Danish or Portugese, still of interest :)

I have even kept a text file with the info you added in a zip of each game for future reference :)
    Post edited by mel the bell on
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • Cheers Frankie i echo Ivans comments, although i dont speak Dutch, French, Danish or Portugese, still of interest :)

I have even kept a text file with the info you added in a zip of each game for future reference :)

Don't worry, some more English stuff will come up aswell :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efrqx34nlx2swc1/Je Eerste Stappen Met Mr. Men (Part 2).zip?dl=0

Title: Je Eerste Stappen met Mr. Men 'De Hoeden van Meneer Malloot'
    Year: 1983 ?
    Company: Mirrorsoft
    Author(s): Wolters Software
    Type: Educational
    Message Language: Dutch
    Reason for Upload: This Dutch version of Mirrosoft' First Steps with the Mr. Men is only mentioned on WOS, so MIA I suppose.
    Note: This is the Dutch version of part 2 out of 4 parts of the original release called 'Mr. Silly's Hat Games'. I only got this part 2, but maybe the other parts will show up on other tapes. Can't imagine that the Dutch version only had part 2, right?
    Thanked by 1xx3884
  • Frankie wrote: »
    Cheers Frankie i echo Ivans comments, although i dont speak Dutch, French, Danish or Portugese, still of interest :)

im a hoarder and collector of rare stuff anyway so collecting em for history anyway ;)
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling

im a hoarder and collector of rare stuff anyway so collecting em for history anyway ;)

Great, so you don't mind stuff like that cracked Mikie? :-)

• edited June 2018
    Frankie wrote: »

erm no? great stuff, interesting, and great game, funnily enough i have always wondered why speccy games were never "cracked" like C64 games were, with added music, cheats etc and menus
  • I'll have to start collecting these too, just so I can be nosy with them :D
    So far, so meh :)

erm no? great stuff, interesting, and great game, funnily enough i have always wondered why speccy games were never "cracked" like C64 games were, with added music, cheats etc and menus

Over here there were more of that kind. I’ll never forget when I loaded a pirat copy of Rambo for the first time. They had removed the loading screen and replaced it with something very basic. I thought WTF is that, until I read the text, and realised that once the game had loaded, you could choose to start it, but also choose to SAVE the game in either normal speed, or turbo. The WTF changed to WOW. So easy to pass games on to friends :-) The middle part of the screen was all black, and there they loaded some stuff in in the last file. I might upload one of these one day. Did you have something like that in the UK?
  • edited June 2018

Over here there were more of that kind. I’ll never forget when I loaded a pirat copy of Rambo for the first time. They had removed the loading screen and replaced it with something very basic. I thought WTF is that, until I read the text, and realised that once the game had loaded, you could choose to start it, but also choose to SAVE the game in either normal speed, or turbo. The WTF changed to WOW. So easy to pass games on to friends :-) The middle part of the screen was all black, and there they loaded some stuff in in the last file. I might upload one of these one day. Did you have something like that in the UK?
    like i said, not really, we just got an original and taped it, the whole thing no messing. On the speccy anyway, i presume the Amstrad etc were the same? It was only the C64 where i saw all these cracks and codes and cheats and menus and intro musics etc, and then obviously the Atari ST and Amiga also.
    Would be interesting to see the Rambo

like i said, not really, we just got an original and taped it, the whole thing no messing. On the speccy anyway, i presume the Amstrad etc were the same? It was only the C64 where i saw all these cracks and codes and cheats and menus and intro musics etc, and then obviously the Atari ST and Amiga also.
    Would be interesting to see the Rambo

Noted, I'll see if I can find one, either Rambo or another game sometime soon. Please remind me if I forget :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tajny2gkrwsrl3/Alien.zip?dl=0

Title: Alien
    Year: ?
    Company: Hirezz Games
    Author(s): Gary Howland
    Type: Game (Maze)
    Reason for Upload: Different to the TAP version on WOS
    Note: This is the same game as entry 'Alien' by 'Gary Howland' on WOS, but unlike the TAP version on WOS (I changed it to a WAV file to check), this one code only game includes a loading screen, which states that it was released by Hirezz Games. Probably the Author Gary Howland's own company he ran out of his bedroom :-) So Company should be changed from Gary Howland to Hirezz Games on WOS.

That was tape RED 153 done. Will not find 8 gems on all tapes, on some I'll find nothing, but one tape down, many to go LOL
    Thanked by 1xx3884
  • Can I just say that I am really glad you've uncovered some games I never even heard of before? I am looking forward playing that text adventure game as soon as I have some spare time. :)
  • Timmy wrote: »
    Can I just say that I am really glad you've uncovered some games I never even heard of before? I am looking forward playing that text adventure game as soon as I have some spare time. :)

Happy when some are pleased about it. Hope you enjoy the adventure :-)

That's what Long John Silver said
    :D
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • grey key wrote: »

That's what Long John Silver said
    :D
    not long john baldry?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp7vv1de9u1w8vg/David El Gnomo.zip?dl=0

Title: David El Gnomo
    Company: Ariola Eurodisc S.A.
    Author(s): Compulogical S.A., Soft Juliet
    Type: Game (Puzzle)
    Message Language: Spanish
    Source: Not original vinyl / music tape
    Reason for Upload: MIA
    Note: This game was released on vinyl and on music cassette, and never released on its own as a computer game :-) I believe this character is from a Spanish kids TV show :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yxgz03hf0pvyym/To The Top.zip?dl=0

Title: To The Top
    Company: Your Computer
    Author(s): Julian Wood
    Type: Game (Jumping Jack clone)
    Source: This is a Type-In game, so it was never released on tape
    Reason for Upload: To replace the boring Z80 on WOS. It even got a loading screen :-)
    Note: A change should be done in the index on WOS on this game, as it says on the loading screen it's a 16K game. The text in Your Computer says 48K, but it loads on a 16K machine :-)

CHANGES:

Machine type: ZX Spectrum 48K TO ZX Spectrum 16K

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnx624l7zag3xnu/Peloponnesian War.zip?dl=0

Title: Peloponnesian War
    Company: MC Lothlorien Ltd
    Author(s):
    Type: Game (Strategy)
    Reason for Upload: To replace Z80 file on WOS
    Note: Anything is better than a Z80 file, even if its a TZX just containing one Program :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzim08te0vmh4tc/Ghost Hunt 012.zip?dl=0

Title: Ghost Hunt (Alternate)
    Company: PSS
    Author(s): ? Chris P. Cullen ? who also did the ZX81 release of this game by PSS
    Type: Game (Maze)
    Reason for Upload: Different version to the one on WOS
    Note: Both 16K and 48K version don't have the loading screen, and doesn't say "(C) P.S.S 1983" on startup screen. Early version, or first attempt before polishing it with loading screen and all?
  • edited June 2018

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ibibgu2vs7iisb/La Citta Fantasimo (Ghost Town).zip?dl=0

Title: La Citta' Fantasimo (Ghost Town)
    Year: 1985 (1983)
    Company: Load ‘n’ Run (Virgin Games)
    Author(s):
    Message Language: Italian
    Filetype: TAP
    Reason for Upload: uMIA
    Note: Italian version of Virgin Games' Ghost Town. Uploading it as a TAP, as its an Interface crack without loading screen, and that awful loading finish :-( But better than nothing I suppose. It was released on Load ‘n’ Run issue 13 (thanks Zup :-) )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ibibgu2vs7iisb/La Citta Fantasimo (Ghost Town).zip?dl=0

Year: ? (1983)
    Company: ? (Virgin Games)
    Author(s):
    Note: Italian version of Virgin Games' Ghost Town. Uploading it as a TAP, as its an Interface crack without loading screen, and that awful loading finish :-( But better than nothing I suppose.

It was published in Load'n'Run number 13, so maybe you're looking at a pirated copy of a unlicensed translated release.

Maybe infoseek should include those games that were published (without obtaining proper rights) in cassette magazines. I mean, as hacked/translated/pirated/unlicensed games, they should be included in the information of the original game (i.e.: Ghost Town, published/translated in Load'n'Run as "La Citta' Fantasma") without links or download.

I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • Zup wrote: »

Year: ? (1983)
    Company: ? (Virgin Games)
    Author(s):
    Note: Italian version of Virgin Games' Ghost Town. Uploading it as a TAP, as its an Interface crack without loading screen, and that awful loading finish :-( But better than nothing I suppose.

It was published in Load'n'Run number 13, so maybe you're looking at a pirated copy of a unlicensed translated release.

Maybe infoseek should include those games that were published (without obtaining proper rights) in cassette magazines. I mean, as hacked/translated/pirated/unlicensed games, they should be included in the information of the original game (i.e.: Ghost Town, published/translated in Load'n'Run as "La Citta' Fantasma") without links or download.

Fixed, I noticed Issue 14 was from 85, so good chances 13 was aswell.

I thought everything released on those Load ‘n’ Run tapes were on WOS. Are any of the other games from that issue on WOS? Is there a place were these tapes are online, an Italian site?