Products you do not see any more.

edited December 2018 in Chit chat
I was sitting at work recently and my mind started to wander, thinking about some of the products I remember seeing in Catalogs and in department stores in the 80s and 90s and things we do not see any more.

Did you know anyone what had a Corby Trouser Press? The only time I ever saw anyone get on was on a game show. What is wrong with an iron anyway?
https://digital.hammacher.com/Items/82992/82992_1000x1000.jpg

The Electric Carving Knife. Why?!!? Just buy a decent knife and don't cremate the roast.
https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/frigidaire-electric-carving-knife.jpeg?quality=98&strip=all&w=782

Ohh have yer got a video? I remember when these things were so desirable, people would record films of the TV and then file the video away never to be watched again, but woe betide anyone that would record over that 3rd rerun of Planet of the Apes. When we got our video in 1981 I think my parents had a party so they could show everyone. Trouble was, they never knew how to program the timer, and **** it up more times than succeeded, yet is was always the VCRs fault, until I got old enough to do it for them. Even before streaming in 2005, no one wanted to record crap of the telly nae more. You do not see the cassettes in shops and even charity shops will not take em.
http://home.bt.com/images/first-vhs-vcr-139466834865703901-140321154902.jpg
Post edited by Scottie_uk on
Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos

Comments

• Call me old fashioned, but I have an electric knife and a large collection of Video tapes, but no need for a trouser press as I can never find my trousers. That reminds me, I must get a Lava lamp.
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • edited December 2018
    I think the last time I saw a trouser press was probably a prize on a repeat of 321 or something like that. :D

VIdeo well up until about 2/3 years ago I still had a trusty (and expensive when new) VHS but it got binned when it died, I had already got rid of the few tapes I had though.

I think the video issue was with me however (as it was not used for ages anyway) upon the last time I did watch a tape with it, an original one Terminator iirc, the quality was very bad compared to a DVD*** This with a RGB (not composite) scart lead too...

*** I guess this is a bit like 'back then' Speccy's where most of us were happy with the UHF/VHF etc aerial connection to the nearest TV, looking at it again even allowing for age / degradation it is very bad quality wise. I guess our erm 'expectations' of things has increased a bit...

I don't know if anyone still makes new VHS units or not. I'm skipping the BetaMax and/or V2000 here as they are a bit too far back in time really.

Talking briefly of tapes in general its slightly difficult to find "out and about" rather than online, audio cassette tapes unless you want a C60 or C90 (the latter usually I think) , I'm completely unaware of anyone selling new, rather than "new old stock" C15's ;) for ahem 'backup purposes' etc.

Food related but I've not seen any of those 'Beef Risotto' packs for years, (Vesta I think used to make them?) used to be a firm fave here in the late 80's, we'd have one every week it seemed. Last thing I heard some bargain pound type shops had them up until a few years ago. Shame really as I looked for something equivalent but could not find anything that was not too much work at least compared to those as it was merely a case of two pans and some hot water iirc.

Post edited by spider on
  • edited December 2018
    Not again, I have a big pile of those Vesta Chow Mein and the Paella, at least 10 of each, they started selling them in the Pound shop, but they still sell them at Poundstretchers, they cost about one pound seventy nine each.They also do the Beef curry as well. It took me years to find them on sale again.

You can also buy them online in bulk, but they are not cheap !
    Post edited by grey key on
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited December 2018
    I used to see Corby Trouser Presses in hotel rooms in the 90s whenever I was out and about on MoD business. After motel chains like Premier Inn sprang up around the country, I haven't seen one since.

You can still get electric carving knives. I just think its gameshows that have moved on from trying to appeal to the 'housewife' demographic. Or maybe all those cheap regional studios have fallen by the wayside so the quiz shows you do see aren't so cheapskate.
    Post edited by joefish on
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • I have a feeling my dad still has a trouser press, though whether he actually uses it is a whole different matter. There was definitely an electric carving knife while growing up and, of course, a VHS player though I don't think I've seen either of those in years.
  • edited December 2018
    @greykey , thanks! :D

Back on topic, I do not recall ever seeing a trouser press 'in real life' as such, in that I've not knowingly seen one. A clothes horse (wooden) a different matter, we used to have one here! I still have the raised one in the end of the kitchen actually on the ceiling and still use it, its damn handy! :D

I think quiz shows have sensibly moved upmarket a bit now, its mainly old repeats from the 70's or early 80's perhaps when such erm 'prizes' were on offer, as well as such curiosities as electric tie racks! I did not mean to single out 321 , I suspect something like early editions of BullsEye (not seen it for years!) and/or perhaps something like Generation Game (70's one) were similar in their smaller prizes...

Oh I've not owned an electric carving knife either. Pretty sure a neighbour or two has them though.
    Post edited by spider on
  • edited December 2018
    I think videos have just evolved into modern day DVRs and the like. I remember being in awe of our first one - it even had one of those new-fangled infra-red remote controls! I always fancied one of the carving knives, but my parents wouldn't buy one.

I did use the Corby trouser presses a few times when I travelled back in the late 90's. I could never get them to work. In fact I usually ended up putting more creases in the trousers! A travel iron, and later a full size one was *much* faster.
    Post edited by ds99 on
  • You still see em but who uses em? Breville sandwich toasters (or other brand ones)...I've owned about 4 and used them maybe once...the cleanup is too much damn trouble...just make a sandwich with toast or put it in a frying pan.
  • Bought a new electric carving knife a few weeks ago to replace one I'd had for about 20 years. They're particularly good for slicing joints thinly - my lot don't like joints cut into steaks...
  • Our first VCR was a Betamax because they were better quality than VCS at the time. It came complete with a remote on a 3-meter wire! And my parents could never get the programming right either, and mostly relied on us kids to do it for them!
    Oh, the frustration of missed recordings caused by forgetting to switch into standby mode after labouriously programming the timer.... :((

I don't think those electric carving knives ever recovered from the bad publicity following Dr. Frank'N'Furter's use of one in the infamous 'Roast Eddie' scene in The Rocky Horror Picture Show....! :D
  • edited December 2018
    Speaking of electric carving knives whatever happened to all those ridiculous all in one kitchen wizard type sets, remember the mail order only Rap Tou? I used to think the advert for that was hilarious back when it used to be on all the time, it obviously promised way more than it ever delivered.

Messed up thing is I saw one, at a summer fayre at the local cat n' dog shelter way back in 1993, or maybe 1994, I was helping out volunteering with the Cats Protection League. Which basically meant I helped my ma, and her buddies set up their bench, and occasionally got more bags of crisps, or ice for the cans of pop they were selling. The rest of the day was spent stealing booze from under the table, and stealing my mothers cigarettes, and hiding behind the cow barn to smoke them :))

But there was also a jumble sale going on at this summer fayre, and low and behold I spot a Rap Tou boxed on one of the tables for about 6 quid. Me being about 15 at the time only had about 3 quid, and I asked my ma if I could borrow 3 quid, but she only had 2 in change. So I went and somehow managed to sweet talk the lady at the table into giving me it for a fiver.

To this day I'm sure several people still wonder why a 15 year old, went and bought an all in one kitchen device from a jumble sale, and was super happy about it :))

Oh.....and keeping in term with the actual thread, I never ever used it :))

Think I donated it to the Red Cross in about 2006, turns out the previous owners didn't use it either, half of the blades, and bits n' pieces were still factory sealed. I think it even had a receipt in there from the company from some time in 1989 :O
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Vampyre wrote: »
    Bought a new electric carving knife a few weeks ago to replace one I'd had for about 20 years. They're particularly good for slicing joints thinly - my lot don't like joints cut into steaks...

It does not take electricity to slice meat thinly. Just a good sharp 'quality knife'.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • beanz wrote: »
    You still see em but who uses em? Breville sandwich toasters (or other brand ones)...I've owned about 4 and used them maybe once...the cleanup is too much damn trouble...just make a sandwich with toast or put it in a frying pan.
    I still have one, I like it but its gets far less use than I'd like. I might use it tonight when I make the kids and me a snack.
  • Teas made. My nan had one of these. I remember the tea it made being particularly bad and because the milk sat in it all night it tasted rather manky.
    https://vads.ac.uk/images/MODIP/medium/0_2564_1.jpg
  • Scottie_uk wrote: »
    Teas made. My nan had one of these. I remember the tea it made being particularly bad and because the milk sat in it all night it tasted rather manky.
    https://vads.ac.uk/images/MODIP/medium/0_2564_1.jpg

I had one as a student - it was brilliant. The trick was to use it as a timed water-boiling device (so don't leave milk out all night etc). After a somewhat heavy night there was nothing better than being woken up by the gentle sound of water slowly coming to the boil (which almost always worked before the ear splitting buzzer kicked in). And then you were all set for a tea/coffee without having to put any effort in at all.

• I've still got one. Mind you. It only gets used as an alarm clock.
  • beanz wrote: »
    You still see em but who uses em? Breville sandwich toasters (or other brand ones)...I've owned about 4 and used them maybe once...the cleanup is too much damn trouble...just make a sandwich with toast or put it in a frying pan.

I always save my old sandwich toasters.......

Better the Breville you know....... ;)

• Does anyone still use those wire things for cutting cheese? My mate had one in the 80's. It looked bloody lethal!
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Does anyone still use those wire things for cutting cheese? My mate had one in the 80's. It looked bloody lethal!

Assassins :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Does anyone still use those wire things for cutting cheese? My mate had one in the 80's. It looked bloody lethal!

They are good for garotting fish too :-O

• How about this one. Never see theses ;)

1280px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

but you do see plenty of these

1280px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Flairs are coming back, I read it in my horoscope!
  • Remember hostess trollies? They seemed popular with the same people that would host fondue parties :))
    Also, you never see lazy suzies anymore, my mum had a blue plastic one that was filled with crisps and nuts. It was only used at parties. There was a round bowl in the centre with small plastic bowls surrounding it.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited December 2018
    Scottie_uk wrote: »
    Vampyre wrote: »
    Bought a new electric carving knife a few weeks ago to replace one I'd had for about 20 years. They're particularly good for slicing joints thinly - my lot don't like joints cut into steaks...

It does not take electricity to slice meat thinly. Just a good sharp 'quality knife'.
    Thanks for the tip, but I already have an excellent quality very sharp knife (I cook a lot and need it), but prefer to use the electric for joints. It just cuts cooked meat slightly better.
    Post edited by Vampyre on
  • Not tried it myself, but apparently electric carving knives are the business for cutting blocks of foam for craft/DIY projects.
  • Polo uses them to carve up the enemy !
  • grey key wrote: »
    Polo uses them to carve up the enemy !

Yes, nice thin slivers of enemy roasted over an open fire :)
    So far, so meh :)
  • Luny wrote: »
    How about this one. Never see these ;)

1280px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

Well, bread nowadays is full of chemicals and it can stay “fresh” almost indefinitely inside the plastic bag it comes in. No need for a breadbox.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • edited December 2018
    You know what really freaks me out about bread?

Gluten free bread, I mean look at regular bread if you buy it fresh from a bakers or something like that they can only put it on the shelf for a few days before they have to sling it, if you buy it within those few days, it's not gonna last much more than a week if that. Packaged bread usually has a pretty short sell by date on it as well, but it'll keep a bit longer you may even be able to eek out about 2 weeks worth of life once it's open, before it starts trying to crawl away on it's own.

But gluten free alternatives, you know they're supposed to be healthy and stuff, they're packaged pretty much the same as regular commercial bread, but how in the world can they have a 3-6 month shelf life? Some have even longer ones than that, so they can't be that bloody healthy, I don't care if it says "ambient temperature" on the packaging, they must be practically radioactive from all the preservatives. I know it's good for people who have an actual Gluten intolerance, but let's face it hipsters probably buy it more in an attempt to be all edgy and alternaive (yes that says alterNAIVE) than actual celiac sufferers.

Healthy alternative my arse!
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
  • Yes and most of us NEED the Gluten, how can they remove something from a product and charge us more ?

Sugar free everything costs more and salt free is more expensive, pay more for less ?

If I want the " Unhealthy option " I should be allowed to buy it, not have to ask an assistant to find me the damned thing from the backroom.