Its Saturday, my favourite day, and I'm going to celebrate by playing...

Comments

• edited May 23
    :) Its that day again!

I'm simply going to pick one this week, rather than two:

Sinbad and the Golden Ship

A text adventure with graphics (split screen). A two parter. Not done with Quill either, its not too bad to play and does not require insanely obscure commands. I brought this BITD too, reasonably likely i may still have it actually.

Post edited by spider on
  • Good choice Spider. I've not come across this one before.

I'm going for the classic era again as I've been sorting through my tapes and was reminded of some odd balls. For that have a quick go and drop as quick game, I'm choosing Software Projects Push Off.

And secondly a quick go on Crazy Crane, that should kill five minutes, plenty of time to play Spider's choice. :)
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • spider wrote: »
    :) Its that day again!

I'm simply going to pick one this week, rather than two:

Sinbad and the Golden Ship

A text adventure with graphics (split screen). A two parter. Not done with Quill either, its not too bad to play and does not require insanely obscure commands. I brought this BITD too, reasonably likely i may still have it actually.

I'm having trouble with this one. It appears to be a nice adventure but as with a lot of them the typing response is terrible. I never understand why a text adventure, whose only user input is by typing, doesn't have a smooth input. If you are going to spend anytime polishing your game, it at least should be the input. Sinbad feels sluggish and misses keys if you type just a little bit fast.
  • Luny wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with this one. It appears to be a nice adventure but as with a lot of them the typing response is terrible. I never understand why a text adventure, whose only user input is by typing, doesn't have a smooth input. If you are going to spend anytime polishing your game, it at least should be the input. Sinbad feels sluggish and misses keys if you type just a little bit fast.
    I do have to agree. Unfortunately (for instance) setting the emulation speed to say double or perhaps changing it to 7MHz does not really assist, it does 'feel' like its Basic somehow, or compiled Basic (I saw no evidence of this though)

I've played worse, but I do concur it possibly could of been tweaked a little bit to make it a bit more responsive. On a more positive point it was a 1.99 game new, so we must not be too harsh but I do appreciate what you're saying. :)

• edited May 24
    Play Se-Kaa of Assiah for truly torturous input lag, and really annoying sound effects. Also a budget release, but the above still kind of ruins an interesting game. Never got very far on it as a kid (or as an adult now that I think about it), but I may have to fire this one up and give it another go when I get in from work later on.
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • The early Pete Cook adventures were very slow parsers as well and took forever to draw pictures. Shame, as they were good adventures and somehow I managed to find the patience back then to play them through.
  • Talking of text adventures...

Does anyone know what the text adventure was that was really, really obviously based on Red Dwarf but had the characters' names tweaked slightly so that the BBC wouldn't sue? I think it may have been on a magazine covertape.
  • edited May 25
    Post edited by Antiriad2097 on
  • Strangely enough, no - and when I tried to search WOS for Red Dwarf, that didn't come up. Rouge Midget has the characters' names unchanged - what I was looking for was, I suppose, more along the lines of The Boggit or Loads Of Midnight, and the text was definitely coloured. There may also have been pictures.

I'll certainly have a crack at this one, though - and I will get the message through to Rimmer that he's a smeg head.
  • edited May 25
    I've not heard of either of these. Thanks guys, might give them a go.
    (If 'Mighty' ever finds the missing one) :)
    Post edited by Luny on
  • Bit late today!

OK... I did have a few in mind but I've decided to restrict myself to just one this time around:

Project Future

The 'bugfix' version I think only rectifies incorrect movement with a Kemston interface, so this may or may not be relevant.

This might be a bit more well known than my usual choices, but its quite colourful and does not play too badly at all, it was not (I think, as I don't recall it back then) considered a bad game at all when it was new. The map is quite large and the difficultly level is not at 'instant death if you do not know what you're doing' which is a welcome bonus. Actually gaining much progress is another matter though. Spectrum2 does have three reviews of this and they are all relatively positive.
  • I missed that side if the weekend. I got stuck into rubbing down and painting or sitting in the garden. Didn't do much computing. But choice Spider, something I've never really focused on.
  • edited June 16
    Luny wrote: »
    I missed that side if the weekend. I got stuck into rubbing down and painting or sitting in the garden.
    Nothing wrong with that! :) :)

But choice Spider, something I've never really focused on.
    Not really 100% on what you're telling me here, unless you mean:

"The 'game choice' was not ideal"

XOR ( ;) )

"I had little choice in reality to do something elsewhere"

Its fine either way. :D

Its an XOR as its either not both as if both are true then it still evaluates to true lols. Small humour injection required, for my own sake if nothing else.

There's always next Saturday ;)
    Post edited by spider on
  • Sorry, sometimes my fingers type gobble goop. I think my brains gets out of sync. I mean 'Good choice'. I've not really played that game much. etc etc.

Ah yes, next Saturday. Feels a little Groundhog day lately. ;)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited June 27
    Bit late in the day, but its still Saturday as I write this...

Something slightly different this time, its not too bad if you get into it a bit and there are a few small puzzles etc along the way.

Millionare

A quick read of the text/instructions file is worthwhile.

Note: It does not like 128K mode (any 128 not just the +2/+3 A/B) , RUN 9920 might fix it but I've not really bothered to check that in detail its easier to just load it in 48K mode and be done with it! :D
    Post edited by spider on
  • edited July 4
    10 CLS
    20 PRINT "Well, it is Saturday..."
    30 PRINT
    40 PRINT "So here is my choice..."
    50 PRINT
    60 PRINT "I did have something else in mind but will hold that for next week!"
    70 PRINT
    80 PRINT "Enjoy ?"
    90 PAUSE 0 : NEW

Spellbound

Check the link, this is -not- the well known Mastertronic / MagicKnight game.

Its quite similar in some ways to the early 80's arcade game "Q*bert"
    Post edited by spider on
  • Oh I remember that, yes a rare choice Spider. Brilliant!
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited July 4
    Oh I remember that, yes a rare choice Spider. Brilliant!

Thank you! :) Enjoy.

Random comment: First time I saw this was on the (yes did buy it) SoftAid tape, that along with a couple of other games I'd not heard of before!

hehe also there's an odd element in this, as the platforms are separate ie: "socially distanced" to a little degree.
    Post edited by spider on
  • edited July 4
    I'm celebrating Saturday July 4th by playing this song from the Incredible String Band. After all the title of this thread does say 'playing' but doesn't specify what genre! Peace and love Specchums.

Winter was cold and the clothing was thin
    But the gentle shepherd calls the tune
    Oh, dear mother what shall I do?
    First please your eyes and then your ears, Jenny
    Exchanging love tokens say goodnight

Lay down my dear sister
    Won't you lay and take your rest?
    Won't you lay your head upon your saviors breast?
    And I love you but Jesus loves you the best

And I bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight
    Lord, I bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight

One of these mornings bright and early and fine
    Goodnight, goodnight
    Not a cricket, not a spirit going to shout me on
    Goodnight, goodnight

I go walking in the valley of the shadow of death
    Goodnight, goodnight
    And his rod and his staff shall comfort me
    Goodnight, goodnight

Oh John, the wine he saw the sign
    Goodnight, goodnight
    Oh, John say, "I seen a number of signs"
    Goodnight, goodnight

Tell a for the ark that wonderful boat
    Goodnight, goodnight
    You know they built it on the land getting water to float
    Goodnight, goodnight

Oh, tell B for the beast at the ending of the wood
    Goodnight, goodnight
    You know it ate all the children when they wouldn't be good
    Goodnight, goodnight

I remember quite well, I remember quite well
    Goodnight, goodnight
    And I was walking in Jerusalem just like John
    Goodnight, goodnight, goodnight

Who would lose and who would bruise
    Or who would live quite prettily?
    And who would love what comes along
    And fill the air with joyous song

Who would go and who would come
    Or who would simply linger?
    And who would hide behind your chair
    And steal your crystallized ginger?

Nebulous nearnesses cry to me
    At this timeless moment someone dear to me
    Wants me near, makes me high
    I can hear vibrations fly

Through mangoes, pomegranates and planes
    All the same
    When it reaches me and teaches me
    To sigh

Who would mouse and who would lion
    Or who would be the tamer?
    And who would hear directions clear
    From the unnameable namer?

Who would skip and who would plot
    Or who would lie quite stilly?
    And who would ride backwards on a giraffe?
    Stopping every so often to laugh

Amoebas are very small

Oh ah ee oo
    There's absolutely no strife
    Living the timeless life, I don't need a wife
    Living the timeless life

If I need a friend I just give a wriggle
    Split right down the middle
    And when I look there's two of me
    Both as handsome as can be

Oh, here we go slithering, here we go
    Slithering and squelching on
    Oh, here we go slithering, here we go
    Slithering and squelching on

Oh ah ee oo
    There's absolutely no strife
    Living the timeless life

Black hair, brown hair feather and scale
    Seed and stamen and all unnamed lives that live
    Turn your quivering nerves in my direction
    Turn your quivering nerves in my direction
    Feel the energy projection of my cells wishes you well

May the long time sun shine upon you
    All love surround you
    And the pure light within you
    Guide you all the way on

All love surround you
    Guide you all the way on

All love surround you
    Guide you all the way on

Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • Ah yes, Happy Independence Day to all our friends 'across the pond' :)
    10 CLS
    20 PRINT "Well, it is Saturday..."
    30 PRINT
    40 PRINT "So here is my choice..."
    50 PRINT
    60 PRINT "I did have something else in mind but will hold that for next week!"
    70 PRINT
    80 PRINT "Enjoy ?"
    90 PAUSE 0 : NEW

Spellbound

Check the link, this is -not- the well known Mastertronic / MagicKnight game.

Its quite similar in some ways to the early 80's arcade game "Q*bert"

Don't think I've seen this one before Spider. I'll give it a try later on emulator. I like Q'bert so should enjoy it.

Thanked by 1spider
  • Don't think I've seen this one before Spider. I'll give it a try later on emulator. I like Q'bert so should enjoy it.
    Most welcome. :)

I don't see the controls listed anywhere, they are a bit fiddly for keyboard control. Mind you easy enough emulation to pick a joystick method and remap I guess.

For reference they are :

Q = UP (LEFT)
    P = UP (RIGHT)

Z = DOWN (LEFT)
    M = DOWN (RIGHT)

I'll put in a 'change request' about this for now to add them, at least until I've had time to find ( ! ) / read / type up my inlay for it for here.
    Thanked by 1Your Spec-chum
  • Well, its certainly a classic in the sense that,

The movement is not hi-res, but I guess the game play dictates that.
    The timing is awful, such that holding down a key means to can end up with more than the expected repeats and fall of the edge.
    Sounds are simple but at least they have made the effort to use rapid repeat and 'white noise' rather than simple beeps.
    The graphics are simple, but nicely done.
    Game play is good with quite a bit of a challenge.

All in all a great example of the early 'bad' but playable games, even if it did come out in 1984, which for me was the crossover between the home brew style and the more professional games.
  • I agree with you there Luny. Gave me that good nostalgia feeling too of it's time, and the yeah the accidental extra key presses caught me out a bit too. I didn't quite clear the first screen, but it kept drawing back to have another go, and I think that's good plus in a game. Will be one I will come back to when I want a break from my usual Speccy faves. Certainly better than like BITD when you brought a game, tried it out only to find it was unfairly difficult/unplayable, and realized you wasted your pocket money. A could do worst 5/10 from me.
  • I've not checked but I had a vague suspicion it was compiled Basic, although the 'control' section it returns to is already Basic.

Can press S to restart I think too, but that seems a bit on/off in its reaction.

It would of made a very good 'cover tape' game perhaps, then again I don't recall seeing many (any?) in 84. Certainly adding it alongside a couple of other games on a later covertape would of been sensible, lets be honest there's been some right dross on some of the covertapes! :) There's also been some really good stuff too, Batty for instance.

If you want 'bad' try this , problem was, I brought this BITD too! That was the problem with Mastertronic (early at least) games, no screenshots in the inlay usually iirc. Even if they were a different platform to save on printing costs, it did at least give some vague idea.
    I've not checked but I had a vague suspicion it was compiled Basic, although the 'control' section it returns to is already Basic...

Yes, now you mention it I have a vague memory of that. Maybe there was an magazine article about it.
  • Luny wrote: »
    Yes, now you mention it I have a vague memory of that. Maybe there was an magazine article about it.
    Possible I was thinking of Sorcery (which was on the Soft-Aid tape, first time I saw that game too) , as that is Compiled Basic, evidenced by the (c) string in the code itself "ZX Compiler V2.0"

I suppose a code analysis of Spellbound would reveal more details. Maybe my memory playing tricks on me...
  • Well, we are getting older. My memory is very....... ooh whats that over there
  • edited July 11
    Still Saturday (near 9PM) as I write this, so I guess its time for another one for the day. I'd not had chance to do anything earlier.

I want do do something slightly different and I am going to pick something slightly more 'known' than my usual affairs but not afaik really well known, at least I don't think it was.

Kokotoni Wilf

My first glimpse of this was on the Soft-Aid tape I'd purchased 'back then' , although I'd likely of seen Koko's adverts in the mags, I'd not really given it much thought.

For those who have forgotten or are not aware: It is a relatively simple and easy to play platform type game with the exception of having a 'fly' key instead of jump , so its left / right / fly

For those who have not seen this without repeating the details in the readme, you visit several time zones collecting amulet fragments at which point an exit will appear in one screen, allowing you to progress to the next time zone. You could think of it slightly as Manic Miner in several 'rooms' before the Portal opened.

The time zones are all unique in their sprites and layouts. The collision detection can be a bit iffy sometimes but with care its quite easy to play.

Credit where credit is due: It is quite an interesting twist on the usual platforming games both in having separate time-zones of several screens and having a fly option instead of a jump.

Should be noted the 'cheat' was left in the production versions:
    Spoiler:

Supports Kempston and Cursor (going from the keys anyway). Keyboard controls:

Z or M or 5 = Left
    X or SS or 8 = Right
    1 or 0 = Fly

Enjoy. :)

Naturally selection of pokes and map are available at The Tipshop should the need arise!
    Post edited by spider on
  • I've had a bit of a monsters and mazes theme to the games today:

Dragonsbane I've always had a bit of a soft spot for this, despite the fact that you can wander round in circles a bit and that it's a bit ragged round the edges. Had this game been developed a year or two later it may have been a bit more sophisticated.

Master Of Magic One of the very few games I can complete without cheating.

Maziacs One of the most genuinely terrifying games ever. I still jump a bit when I'm guiding my man along a path and a previously undetected Maziac suddenly appears. Not to mention the tension of trying to lure three or four Maziacs one by one and hoping that there are enough swords nearby.
    Thanked by 1spider