Its Saturday, my favourite day, and I'm going to celebrate by playing...

Comments

• Thanks for those. :)

I'm going to go along with your theme too, and nominate Out of the Shadows

The first time I saw this was on the 4MostAdventures compilation tape, and although its not completely "my cup of tea" , it potentially is not a bad game all-in-all but lack of 'what to do' thoughts sometimes cause issues and its easy to end up in the dark! I think there's some pokes to fix that actually.
  • edited July 25
    Well its Saturday again, so its time! :)

I'm going to nominate Slipper Sid as its not a bad 'Centipede/Snake' type clone anyway, especially given its a reasonably early game. For the 'genre' its one I'd rate relatively highly.

Plays quite fast too! Suggest if you've not tried it before to try '1' for the first game.

A=Up
    Z=Down
    N=Left
    M=Right

Does get quite difficult on the later levels.

Enjoy! :)
    Post edited by spider on
  • ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter) by Digital Integration. A seek and destroy shooter with strategy elements but enough arcade style action to keep itchy trigger fingers happy.

Am I alone in thinking that Digital Integration are an under-rated software house? They produced some great stuff for the Speccy, but rarely get mentioned alongside the likes of Ocean, Ultimate, Hewson etc.
  • Just realised I'd put "Slipper Sid" instead of "Slippery" , my "y" appears to have fallen off. If a kindly passing mod would like to edit it that would be nice but I'm not hugely bothered. :)
  • Your Y fell off, if this was the 1970’s you probably get arrested for that...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Your Y fell off, if this was the 1970’s you probably get arrested for that...
    Probably (not me) for a lot of things! Mind you was watching that "Was OK in the 70's" a few weeks ago about what was acceptable on TV etc, bit of an eye opener in a way as I am not really old enough to remember the 70's. I do remember those slightly scary 'don't climb pylons etc' type of short/sweet warning films though!

• edited August 1
    Well here we are again!I'm going to push the boat out today and pick two.

Firstly, a simple and neat (but repeating) left/right/fire game:

The Pyramid

It does get progressively more and more difficult (frustrating?) as you get further down the pyramid though. I first saw this game on the Soft-Aid tape I purchased back then. Perhaps one fairly rare erm 'feature' of this is the fact the simple lines on the loading screen are drawn in a different random colour each load, well a few choices of random anyway not all of them, pointless point I know.

Secondly, a puzzle game:

3D Invader Cube

This can be quite difficult to win at sometimes. The version on the Laser Basic tapes (something I purchased back then too, without gaining much sadly) was slightly different. It does need playing on a higher emulation speed and the 'confirmation' each time is annoying (this can be removed without too much trouble) but on the whole its a bit of good fun.

Come to think of it, the 'cube', there might be a compiled version of it on the Laser Compiler tapes, but I doubt it gained much speed.

Anyway please enjoy either/both games or not. :)
    Post edited by spider on
  • edited August 1
    Pyramid was one of the few games I managed to get through to the end in the good ol' days.. Good choice, an old classic at a time when everyone else was doing arcade conversions. Shame he didn't progress technically on his other games. Backpackers was nice, but not much of a game.

Never played cube, but to be honest I probably looked at it and though "meh! naughts and crosses." :)

I'm sure that once I've got the house decorated I'll start chipping in with some Saturday morning games.
    Post edited by Luny on
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Thanks re: Pyramid. Yes its not too bad at all and difficult on the higher levels but it does get repetitive after a while unfortunately.

Cube: Well sort of, its "four in a row" but played in three dimensions, quite easy to overlook something. But each to their own, realise its not that popular a choice but I just sort of felt like posting something "a little different" :)
  • But bravoe for posting it. PArt of my original idea was to try different games and you've certainly found a few of those over the weeks. Its is easy to overlook stuff and I was terrible at that, but vowed to at least try things more now. :)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Going to pick another adventure game, actually two (sorry)

This time its Invincible Island and The Inferno

Both written by Pete Cooke who amongst other things wrote Urban Upstart (another excellent if "slow to respond") text adventure.

I will add at this stage, I've only really played I.Island briefly in the past so it will be an 'adventure' for me too. I can recall I think it is not quite as easy going as U.Upstart. Pretty sure Inferno is harder than I.Island.

Recommend if running emulation to set it to 7Mhz (Spin) or say 150%-200% perhaps to move it along at a sane pace.

There's a map on Tipshop for the former but not the latter, not that I saw anyway, along with tips if required and the rzx archive contains complete walkthroughs for both anyway.

As a completely random sidenote, the Basic is very similar in Invincible Island to Urban Upstart, bit more protection but its in the clear whereas Inferno uses a slightly updated (encoded) DATA statements. Can't recall if one or both of these also when the printing / drawing routine USR is called also reset protection like 23659,0 back again in the code.
  • Although simple and slow, I did enjoy these adventures the first time round. Good choice.

Having been off this week I almost forgot it was Saturday until I read your post.
    I might give Heroes or Karn some further attention. This is one of Interceptors adventure by David Banner (no not that one) for which my only criticism is the limited parser which makes the adventure much harder than it should be. Its just too strict. Other than that I've always liked these, especially Jewels of Babylon which blew me away.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited August 15
    Thanks @Luny :)

I will probably try Invincible Island first (properly play) as that's gonig to be slightly easier than Inferno I think.

Must take a look at the latter's erm 'encoding' actually at some point, I think its merely a bit shift or perhaps even something simpler like ascii code + x etc.

The game you've chosen is by one of the publishers I'd class as not that well known ( ? ) or not that many releases, similar to Richard Shephard I suppose in that way or Romik perhaps. Thought of Tynesoft too for some reason although they did do a large number of releases just not that many Speccy ones, their main area seemed to be the Acorn systems.

^ The reason for the above is I wanted to pick game/games from a 'lesser known' house this time around as I do think there are -many, many "hidden gems" within a few of these and other 'not so well known' companies releases. :)

Downloaded Heros Of Karn for later checking out anyway, thank you! :D
    Post edited by spider on
    Thanked by 1Luny
  • I didn't really get into text adventures BITD which is a bit odd as I liked quite enjoy Kevin Toms Football Manager, Software Star, and CRL's Formula 1, all of those being strategy/management skills needed similar to text adventures. I probably blame young age at the time and having an attention span of a goldfish though. I can remember the educational one's though on the BBC like Granny's Garden etc playing those on our school computers.

I shall give these a try later in the week and see now I'm older if I can get into them. I've also got some new Cronosoft games I still haven't played yet, so may feature and review 1 or 2 on next weeks plays.
  • It was Sunday, not necessarily my favourite day, but nevertheless I celebrated by playing my way right through the excellent Atari ST shareware game, Plop. And there are so few references to this utter gem out there - and with less than five minutes of in-game footage on the entirety of Facetube, that I thought I'd make my own. I have a screen recorder (OBS Studio) and an editor (Shotcut) that I'm slowly learning how to use, I've updated Steem to SSE v4.02, and here are the results!

If you're too lazy to scroll down the wall of text under the title...

There are very few videos about this Atari ST shareware gem from 1992. The chances are it was based on an existing original, probably from somewhere in Japan, and was coded in STOS by Digi Tallis Developments (Jon "Orm" Lewis and Simon "Maguay" Hall) "in about two weeks".

In short, place blobs of "stuff" in the squares, each of which can hold one to four blobs; fill them any further and the square will "plop", vacating it and squirting one blob of "stuff" into the adjacent squares, in the four basic compass directions. Any square held by your opponent's colour will be taken over, and the object of the game is to wipe your opponent's colour off the board. Most of the previous videos show only a few seconds of the "Normal" mode, with regularly laid-out rectangular boards, so I thought I'd show off the entire "Tournament" mode in three installments, where the shape of the board and distribution of squares can be highly irregular.

These are levels 1-10, with the full introduction included, and some take longer to conquer than others. What happens at 14:40 where the computer takes over one of my squares is still a mystery to this day, but I had my revenge soon enough. And if this was a ZX Spectrum RZX file I'd have used "Rollback", whereby I can correct my mistakes; I made a new save state after each board, and only reloaded if I've lost (which I only did once), if there was a problem that needed to be removed (which there was on the original attempt at level 3), or if it took longer than ten minutes.

I'd always wondered if there was anything like this game on the Spectrum - or, maybe, if this version could be converted (and, other than that incompletely-filled squares might need Nirvana or Bifröst trickery to be properly represented, how hard can it be?). About as close as I've found is Russ Gouldthorpe's Atoms, which was written in 2018 and is hidden away on a dark corner of Github. There's also a much cruder representation of the same theme (using the digits 1-4) which I think may have been a CSSCGC entry at some stage...

Anyway, levels 11-20 will be released tomorrow and 21-30 on Wednesday.
  • As promised...

Only about 23 hours to go until the FANTASTIC ENDING is revealed!
    Thanked by 1spider

• ...and we're done, including the FANTASTIC ENDING. Share and enjoy, share and enjoy...
  • Going to be a bit boring (perhaps) and pick Scrabble .

This is the Sinclair version, often bundled with some machines (mine was when it was new in 84) but I have tried a few other variants over the years and they are either monochrome (yuk) or lack the erm 'sparkle' of this version somehow!

Sure the dictionary could be a lot better but it still plays very well all-in-all. :) If playing solo as such aka one human I find it slightly better to have two or three opponents instead of one, but each to their own.

I've only ever won on level 1 opponent skill too, at least without cheating.

Thanked by 1Luny
  • Is that the Scrabble game that challenges you on just about every word but if you make up a bizarre long word like “xypoolmeatztour” it says nothing at all? :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Is that the Scrabble game that challenges you on just about every word but if you make up a bizarre long word like “xypoolmeatztour” it says nothing at all? :))
    Yes lol.

Although I did at one stage figure out how to make it not challenge (with a couple of pokes) so that it would either always accept anything without question (easy mode) or always reject anything it did not know about (hard mode) , must look at that again, from memory its only a question of altering the 'read the keys and are we pressing Y or N' etc.

• edited August 23
    Proof is in the pudding as they say. Here are three games I played.

First one yesterday, against one opponent on Level 1 :

NwORldD.gif

I then thought I'd try a single Level 4 opponent, just for a bit of fun :D , and as you can probably imagine I was totally slaughtered :

9x91s5v.gif

Then again this early morning I thought I'd have a quick Level 1 game again :

sQ6q2V5.gif

Ahem. :\"> :\">

Just noted the leftover letters for the computer in the first game included ZX , how bizarre.
    Post edited by spider on
  • In your first game, you could've made ILL going down onto the L of CLOT, which would've given you a 202-178 victory. It's annoying when you don't spot these things at the time, isn't it? :P
    Thanked by 1spider
  • In your first game, you could've made ILL going down onto the L of CLOT, which would've given you a 202-178 victory. It's annoying when you don't spot these things at the time, isn't it? :P
    Indeed yes :) , it happens though! :D
  • I'm keeping it simple today, as I only have a short bit of time this morning to play stuff...

Harrier Attack by Durrell.

The inspiration comes from another comment.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited September 5
    Thanks. :)

Must admit the first time I saw this game was on the CPC464 many years back now (mid 90's so not "new" game) have played the Speccy (possibly BBC Micro version or MSX not sure, as well) version too but not recently so I'll fire it up later this evening.

Similar for me time-wise hence why I did not have a post ready this morning. Will sort something for next week ;)
    Post edited by spider on
  • zx1zx1
    edited September 5
    spider wrote: »
    Proof is in the pudding as they say. Here are three games I played.

First one yesterday, against one opponent on Level 1 :

NwORldD.gif

I then thought I'd try a single Level 4 opponent, just for a bit of fun :D , and as you can probably imagine I was totally slaughtered :

9x91s5v.gif

Then again this early morning I thought I'd have a quick Level 1 game again :

sQ6q2V5.gif

Ahem. :\"> :\">

Just noted the leftover letters for the computer in the first game included ZX , how bizarre.

zx1 lol
    Sometimes i set it to 2 computers players and watch the spectrum play itself!
    Post edited by zx1 on
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
    Thanked by 1spider
  • zx1 wrote: »
    zx1 lol
    Sometimes i set it to 2 computers players and watch the spectrum play itself!

It does not like spaces, too lazy to alter the code to allow that :) ,, I used to sometimes call them PL1 or Player1 , Player2 but it was too annoying.

best 'demo' is to have four Speccy players all on level 4. Set the 'do not wait between moves' to yes and 'show computer thinking' to yes (I have pokes somewhere to auto do that without asking)

Its not quite random I found, if you save a .sna or .z80 in the above demo situation when the game is over and its announcing who has won, if you start a new game (same players) , watch it place a word or two, then reset the speccy and do it again with the snapshot, its the same lettering. I've not looked into when it picks the tiles, I thought it might be 'FRAMES' but I think there's probably a bit more going on.

• It is permissible to nominate denied or otherwise unavailable games for this ?

I've held off while I thought about it, as I'd not want to encourage the searching for and playing game x etc, well to some degree anyway.

I'll probably have to sadly skip this weeks nomination of my own and will rely on if anything is posted from others this time around. :)
  • spider wrote: »
    It is permissible to nominate denied or otherwise unavailable games for this ?

I've held off while I thought about it, as I'd not want to encourage the searching for and playing game x etc, well to some degree anyway.

I'll probably have to sadly skip this weeks nomination of my own and will rely on if anything is posted from others this time around. :)

Nah, sod it, just declare the game. We worry too much about what other people will do. Live a little and lets declare those games, and compare to see who actually has them on tape. :)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Thanks. I do somewhere have it (honest!) but I only found its erm "released around the same time" games. I'll post up on Saturday anyway about it :)