Its Saturday, my favourite day, and I'm going to celebrate by playing...

12346»

Comments

• And here is my choice for today: Pssst

No original tape = no play, sorry :)

The keys -are- annoying like some other games, I guess its far easier to read one half-row space wise than anything else. At least these days (aside from chopping the code about too much to turn it into a QAOP+M arrangement) its possible to set Kempston to be sane keys! :D

• spider wrote: »
    And here is my choice for today: Pssst

No original tape = no play, sorry :)
    Is it ok if we play with cartridge? ;)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Is it ok if we play with cartridge? ;)
    You know I forgot all about that, even though at one point I had one (Space Raiders) cart too.
    :)

• Or play via the compilation disk too , now I think about it ;)

I've never got beyond the second plant/flower on this without cheating though :( just gets a bit too fiddly to manage. I don't think the original control keys help in that matter greatly though. :D
    And here is my choice for today: Pssst
    The keys -are- annoying like some other games, I guess its far easier to read one half-row space wise than anything else.
    Are we really still excusing the Stampers for this atrocity?
    For all their innovation, slick programming and pushing the boundaries early in the Spectrum's history, do we really accept that their pathetic control keys choice is justified simply because it's "easier" to read the keys that way?

BITD, that single, crappy space compromise completely undid all of the programming and game innovations they achieved in the finished product.

Of course, I say that with the revised wisdom that comes from that fact that I never actually paid for any of the early games, so was purely judging them based on copies obtained from friends: "Hmmm, nice game, slick graphics, should be fun, but unfortunately rendered unplayable by the inexcusable choice of control keys!"

Even the crappy games I tried to write in BASIC (and later, compiled BASIC) could be considered way superior to the early Ultimate games if judged solely by their control keys!
    :D
  • No although it was my thought that it was less byte space and easier to deal with the bits from one 'half row' , but I've not looked into it. It made sense to me when I thought about it.

But no the control keys are bad like that, I suspect they thought most would play via joystick.

Which to be fair is a reasonable thought until you remember iirc that a Kempston and stick was likely somewhere between 14.99 and say 25.99 back then! :)
    But no the control keys are bad like that, I suspect they thought most would play via joystick.
    I agree 100% - the QWERT keys are terrible.

BUT ... is it not just a matter of getting used to them? I happily place my paws on the keyboard and use keys 56780 to controls games with cursorkey controls - and that combination is not much different from QWERTY.
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never had problems using Sinclair aka 67890, I guess I just got used to it at some point. But I don't remember the QWERT layout in those Ultimate games, was it left/right/down/up/fire in that order, just as with Sinclair?
  • Just seemed difficult I guess, I do know what you're saying though as this and others were released before the + machine aka separate cursor keys (even if on occasion they did just produce the numerical character due to a sluggish membrane) :)

I was going to add something else but I think it deserves its own topic actually. :)
  • Now that I think of it, I actually remember how I got used to Sinclair: In Skool Daze, your character could walk when using the regular keys, but if you used 67890 he would run instead, so I'd completely ignore the regular keys. Since this was a game I played lots after getting it sometime in 1985, it probably was responsible for me getting used to those keys.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Yes shifted movement keys (QAOP accepted too) would cause Eric to run.

I brought this 'back then' too, was quite impressed at the time with the loader, was one of the first higher speed 'but not speedlock with clicking' one's I'd seen, more so as it was a red background! :D

SkoolDaze "Always Run" > POKE 25941,24
    BackToSkool "Always Run" > POKE 28144,24 + POKE 28227,24

May not work with some 're-releases' , not tested on those as the code is fractionally different iirc. Pokes via SkoolKid's disassembly so credit to him for those.
  • I wanted to do something slightly different today, as its 36 years today (10/10/84) that I purchased my first Speccy. :)

With the above 'Speccy-Versary' in mind I make no apologies for offering a choice, which is the 'six pack' that said Speccy had with it. Of course, there's Wall from the Horizons tape but I felt this time that was perhaps best excluded. I do realise not of all these are 'games' but anyway:

kAHLlnk.jpg

Enjoy! :)
  • he he 'terrible' choice. I bought the speccy with a six pack and remember spending the 1984 summer hols going through those games and programs as I only had those, jetset willy, and Beaky. I didn't keep the box to keep me amused., which is a shame.

I'm going to run through them as well, just to keep that nostalgic smell back. :)
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • edited October 10
    Yes on reflection (these days) I did think it was not a great selection, but I can see the thinking in this:

2x Arcade/Action type inclusions (Horace and Chequered Flag)
    2x Traditional 'board games' inclusion (Scrabble and Chess)
    1x Educational(ish) inclusion (Survival)
    1x Productivity/Tech inclusion (Make A Chip)

I do note a later revision of that pack had Tasword and (or sometimes as well iirc) Vu-3D instead. AFAIK these replaced 'Survial' and Make A Chip, can't be sure on this as various images you see via searches tend to sometimes be people's own boxed variety, but I do recall something being replaced.

Thanks for positive comments @Luny :)

From my own point of view I'd of probably wanted to replace Make/Chip with a WordProcessor app (Tasword or something) and Survival with Space Raiders. Does mean there's three 'arcade' type things present I suppose though. But my machine was 84 so I guess it was already well established as a games machine at that point, however IDK when that pack was actually 'created' or 'decided up' , realise that perhaps things like Space Raiders were good sellers own their own merits hence including might not of been the best plan.

EDIT... For what its worth, although I no longer have the outer box I do -still- have those titles from 'then' , although these days I have another tape of at least two or three of them in various bundles I've picked up over the years.
    Post edited by spider on
  • my memory is not too good, but im sure I got something else instead of chess, now I think about it. Gonna have to think real hard about this.
  • Luny wrote: »
    my memory is not too good, but im sure I got something else instead of chess, now I think about it. Gonna have to think real hard about this.
    Something like Tasword or VU-3D replaced 'one of them' , I keep thinking Survival but those two were standard size cases, not a 'big case' like Survival. However I guess it was quite possible the plastic insert was remoulded to suit.

Although I've never been interested in the boxes or polys etc (realise some can fetch money) I do wonder if having said that an empty box of the above with the insert in decent nick would fetch a few ££ given they don't appear to be around that much.

A quick cursory Google seems to show a bit more 'Tasword' than VU-3D but the former somehow does not seem right for a Sinclair inclusion at this stage, aware of it being microdrived however. Having said that VU-3D was not a cheap tape, I did actually end up getting it back then! Looking back I may of been better off with VU-File or Calc perhaps. Then again...

But please let me know if you do have any conclusions / findings. :)
    I wanted to do something slightly different today, as its 36 years today (10/10/84) that I purchased my first Speccy. :)

With the above 'Speccy-Versary' in mind I make no apologies for offering a choice, which is the 'six pack' that said Speccy had with it. Of course, there's Wall from the Horizons tape but I felt this time that was perhaps best excluded. I do realise not of all these are 'games' but anyway:

kAHLlnk.jpg

Enjoy! :)
    I got that for Christmas 84 (joint present with my sister). Luckily we also got Manic Miner and Scuba Dive :)

Cheeky Funster (53)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • I got that for Christmas 84 (joint present with my sister). Luckily we also got Manic Miner and Scuba Dive :)
    Another '84 owner :D

Did you mean you (and sister) got the Speccy for Christmas with that pack and the extra's or just the pack+extras ? :) I only ask as afaik some were sold packs, possibly by design and in some sneaky retailer cases*** selling 'just because'

*** Think of newsagents who would sell cover tapes on occasion, did not seem common but happened.
  • Three's a user group isn't it? This a very niche club. :)
    Three's a user group isn't it? This a very niche club. :)

I tried to think of a sane but (ideally Speccy based) joke around 1984 but could not really think of anything suitable unfortunately.
    Luny wrote: »
    Three's a user group isn't it? This a very niche club. :)

I tried to think of a sane but (ideally Speccy based) joke around 1984 but could not really think of anything suitable unfortunately.

Orwell at least you tried...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Orwell at least you tried...

I did think about that ;) :D

I guess there's I'm " a day after " in replying to this too!

No recommendations from me this week for games, sorry. I've not finished going through the previous week's erm 'bundle' yet!
  • Me neither, I've been filling a skip. Hopeful after this half term I should be done on the house and I will be able to focus on computer stuff at the weekends.
    Me neither, I've been filling a skip.

Throwing out your Speccy stuff?

• :) I guess it means there's plenty of time to find a suitable candidate for posting about then.

No idea why but when you mentioned the skip I had visions of "One foot in the grave" the scene were Victor Meldrew finds a 2CV in his skip...

lol @ Speccy stuff in the skip.

I am sadly now reminded of when they closed the small offsite tech building at the school I attended (in 89) there was a skip full of about a dozen if not more CBM Pet's :( , Interesting thing is they were never "out on display" as such, they must of been in a storeroom (small site too) whereas they did have a couple of BBC Master 128's out with some dreadful vague CAD type software on floppy disk. Thankfully I never had to use it!

Shame about the Pet's , I honestly think most of them would of worked too.
  • Did you wave at them and say "Auf Wiedersehen Pets"?
  • XTM of TMG wrote: »
    Luny wrote: »
    Me neither, I've been filling a skip.

Throwing out your Speccy stuff?

Over my dead body.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited October 18
    XTM of TMG wrote: »
    Did you wave at them and say "Auf Wiedersehen Pets"?
    Was a long long time ago :) , upon reflection I suppose (the skip was in the public area car park, not walled or gated etc as some residents used to park there) one or two should of been saved, however it would of been impossible for me to do this back then, and probably theft of some kind I suppose ie: taking stuff out of a skip even though I guess even these days it is not that uncommon, happens around here quite a bit!

I suspect although I do not know for sure the same thing happened to the main buildings 'collection' of BBC Micro's too a couple of years after I left but I don't know for sure.

Have to remember this was about 1989 so there was not a mass interest in saving these items then...
    Post edited by spider on