Best early arcade conversions

2»

Comments

• I had an Atari VCS too before the Spectrum came out. Some of the arcade conversions played really well, like Asteroids and Space Invaders with it's multitude of different game choices. Invisible Aliens!
    But Pac Man was really just OK, while Defender looked awful but played alright.

By the time of the Speccy, the Atari's graphics simply couldn't compete for handling newer conversions. Sure there were a lot of naff arcade knock-offs to start with, but the likes of Pheenix and Galaxians were far superior to anything the Atari could manage.
  • Spector wrote: »
    I'm not talking about obscure technical differences here. British Atari games play 17% slower than American ones. 17%! You wouldn't play a pop single at 37rpm would you?

I thought it would be 7% slower?
  • RobeeeJay wrote: »
    Spector wrote: »
    I'm not talking about obscure technical differences here. British Atari games play 17% slower than American ones. 17%! You wouldn't play a pop single at 37rpm would you?

I thought it would be 7% slower?

No the 50hz that UK tvs run at are 83% the speed of the 60hz of USA TVs, and that's the root of the speed difference.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ