CSSCGC 2020

The return of the famous, the one and only...

https://www.connosoft.com/csscgc2020/

More details and an official announcement to follow soon...
Host of CSSCGC 2020
Currently working on Postie's Peril, a point-and-click adventure game for the 48K Spectrum made with my ZX Adventure Designer engine.

Comments

• Excellent news!!! I did miss it in 2019 *big thumbs up*
  • Well, the web-pages are fully uploaded and done and dusted. Have a look over at connosoft.com to see the full HTML/CSS glory! (clear your cache if you've already viewed the page, so that you get the updated stylesheets. Press Ctrl+F5 to do a full reload.)

I will be considering submissions submitted from the 1st of January 2020 onwards. Get crackin'! :D
    Timmy wrote: »
    So what happened in 2019? Are you reviving it? Great news! :)
    A 2019 competition never happened. A loser was selected by the 2018 host, but nothing ever went on from there. Hence, I decided to get it going again.
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
    Currently working on Postie's Peril, a point-and-click adventure game for the 48K Spectrum made with my ZX Adventure Designer engine.
    Thanked by 1Timmy
  • PROSM wrote: »
    A 2019 competition never happened. A loser was selected by the 2018 host, but nothing ever went on from there. Hence, I decided to get it going again.

So a *real* loser then? :D
  • The submissions are now open! You have until the 24th of December to submit your game.

Good luck!
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • Well, we have the first game of the competition: "Escape the Room" by Stephen Smith! You can see the full review here:

https://connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/001.html

Also, we have a Twitter account! Why not give us a follow? ;)
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • We have the second entry, by Dario Ruellan, titled Aliengun!

https://connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/002.html
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • The third entry: quite a controversial topic covered this time, with Suicide by an "edgy nine-year-old" version of djnzx48.

http://www.connosoft.com/csscgc2020/reviews/003.html
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • Great to see such a lot of original SIXTEEN K progs

its promising for 2020
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • Well, we have two new games! Another Fruit Machine Simulator by Juan F. Ramirez, and Explosion by Luny.
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • edited January 21
    Yay!

ha ha, thanks for the terrible review. I did my best. I actually purposely introduced the flicker to make it CRAP! Didn't think about any background or game play or anything. I just coded some crap to put together a game of crap. Kinda lost its purpose that way.

Sorry about the TZX, but thanks for the conversion. I think I saved it using Retro Virtual machine. I'll use Fuse next time, something a bit more reliable.

<edit>
    Actually I ****** up, the bomb is suppose to be invisible, but I've left it visible for testing purposes... <Holds head in hands> B*ll*cks :)
    Post edited by Luny on
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Luny wrote: »
    Actually I ****** up, the bomb is suppose to be invisible, but I've left it visible for testing purposes... <Holds head in hands> B*ll*cks :)
    The game's even better now that I know the bomb wasn't meant to be visible! I look forward to seeing more of your stupid mistakes genius ideas. ;)
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • edited January 22
    PROSM wrote: »
    Luny wrote: »
    The game's even better now that I know the bomb wasn't meant to be visible! I look forward to seeing more of your stupid mistakes genius ideas. ;)

I was thinking out it this morning as I was walking to work and I have some stupid ideas on how to write a game in a style I would have used back in the day!

ONe thing I'm confused about, if you give it a high gameplay score, does that make it less crap?
    Post edited by Luny on
  • Luny wrote: »
    ONe thing I'm confused about, if you give it a high gameplay score, does that make it less crap?

Yes, the games are rated the traditional way - the higher the score, the better it is (hence the worse it is at being crap). The total is simply the mean value of the four columns (Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Innovation).
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
    Luny wrote: »

Yes, the games are rated the traditional way - the higher the score, the better it is (hence the worse it is at being crap). The total is simply the mean value of the four columns (Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Innovation).

Yup gottit. My brain just couldn't pair together crap and high score!! :) Cheers.
  • To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the ZX80, I've posted a new challenge. If you'd like to participate, you have until the 26th of February (28 days to deliver your game, in true Sinclair fashion). Good luck!
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • After receiving an entry today which the author was hesitant to send due to rights issues, I feel that it is best for me to clarify my position regarding copyrighted materials.

Just go for it! If the rights holders are really so bothered as to interfere in a games competition for an 80's microcomputer, then they ought to be more worried about their state of mind than loss of earnings! :D

To give you a better idea of what's alright to send, none of the past CSSCGC entries would pose a problem in my view.
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • Right then, time to work on my "Horace big boy takes Same Fox up the Khyber, whilst playing cards" game.
  • edited February 9
    A new entry from BloodBaz: Crapic Attack! Try to guess which game it's ripping off. :D

Review and download available from connosoft.com
    Post edited by PROSM on
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • Another entry, and this time it's not a game! RWAC has sent us Advanced Art Simulator, so get out your easels!
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • 10 PRINT "Winner of CSSCGC 2020 competition."
    20 PRINT "Congrats to Arjun for the mad skillz!"
  • Arjun wrote: »
    10 PRINT "Winner of CSSCGC 2020 competition."
    20 PRINT "Congrats to Arjun for the mad skillz!"
    30 POKE 23692,255 : GOTO 10

I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited March 12
    A new challenge to get the creative juices flowing! This time, the theme is spring/autumn.
    See Challenge No.3 here
    Post edited by PROSM on
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • I'd been visiting a month or so back and saw the ZX80 challenge, and thought about making my first CSSCGC submission in 16 years... but the required creative juices were flowing about as freely as a tiny dribble in the Atacama Desert, and it never happened (not within the time scale anyway).

A couple of days ago, though, I had the sudden brilliant idea to take the ZX81 program "Kaleidoscope" from the pages of Sinclair Programs in early 1983 and make a ZX80 version.

The ZX80 doesn't have a PLOT command... all right, I'll use the Battenburg ROM graphics, even if half of them have to be accessed with a CHR$ function, and I'll PRINT them AT the correct positions instead of... oh, wait, the ZX80 doesn't have PRINT AT either. Still, there must be some way to store the characters in an array (I'll need an expanded machine for this one, probably 16K) and print them line by line... what do you mean the ZX80 can only handle one-dimensional, numeric arrays? Gah. Right, I'll define a series of numeric arrays, put all the values in manually with loads and loads of LET statements, and revert them to the correct characters with a load more CHR$ functions. Now all I have to do is build up some string variables with all the characters in and... what do you mean the ZX80 can't concatenate string variables into one big string?

And at that point, I ran out of workarounds.Trying to POKE the display file might eventually work, in a completely different way to what I'd originally intended, but a quick bit of research shows it's considerably harder to handle than on the Spectrum as it moves around all over the place in memory and it'll be like chasing a fly. Something tells me it is possible, but might take the kind of genius who can get a crude version of Space Invaders running on a ZX80 (which took until about 2010 to do, didn't it?)

Maybe, at some stage this year, I'll write something for a ZX80 that might have made it into Sinclair Programs in 1982/83 in its own right. But given the diabolical restrictions of the old white yoghurt pot that I've just been painfully reminded about, it might take a while...
  • [...]
    Maybe, at some stage this year, I'll write something for a ZX80 that might have made it into Sinclair Programs in 1982/83 in its own right. But given the diabolical restrictions of the old white yoghurt pot that I've just been painfully reminded about, it might take a while...
    You'd probably be best off trying to write a machine code version, given how limited the ZX80 BASIC implementation is, but then you've got to do some serious code-fiddling to get it running in constant time so that the display can still render properly (unless you don't mind straining your eyes with the flickering).
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • The amount of machine code I know that isn't defining UDGs on a Spectrum can be written on a Rizla with a Sharpie and would still be legible. That route would take even longer...

...but it will be possible, and maybe, if I have no distractions, I might get it done some time this decade.
  • A new game from Juan F. Ramirez (to whom I must apologise for taking longer than usual with the review): The Hangman!

Review and download at ConnoSoft
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
  • I am now working on my first CSSCGC entry in 16 years (that will actually be completed, though in retrospect I'm somewhat glad I didn't get it done in 2017). With the way it's snowballing into something big (two custom character sets and two large character arrays have been defined before I've even started on the actual gameplay), it will probably take at least all of this week, if not all of next week as well.

Will it be worth the wait? Well, this is CSSCGC after all, and I'm not in the big programming leagues... but it will keep me amused for as long as is necessary to get it done.
  • I am now working on my first CSSCGC entry in 16 years (that will actually be completed, though in retrospect I'm somewhat glad I didn't get it done in 2017). With the way it's snowballing into something big (two custom character sets and two large character arrays have been defined before I've even started on the actual gameplay), it will probably take at least all of this week, if not all of next week as well.

Will it be worth the wait? Well, this is CSSCGC after all, and I'm not in the big programming leagues... but it will keep me amused for as long as is necessary to get it done.

Two character sets? Two character arrays?! Sounds suspiciously good for a crap game. I eagerly await your entry! :)
    Host of CSSCGC 2020
    Two character sets? Two character arrays?! Sounds suspiciously good for a crap game. I eagerly await your entry! :)
    Yes, two character sets... well, 1 25/32 character sets, really, seeing as the second is hosted at address 64768 and the characters from "k" onwards are overwritten by the UDG section - but it does what I need it to do. And they're all loaded in one block, CODE 64000,1536. How do you like that, eh? I can almost hear the howls of morth from machine code programmers who have been doing that for 38 years...

When I said above that I'm not in the big programming leagues, believe me, that will come shining through. I do what I can, with what I know in BASIC, occasionally pull a few tricks with POKEs (see the RPN Calculators for an example, i.e. how I made the calculator buttons light up, which no machine code programmer would ever think was impressive but I was over the moon with it), and then embellish it as much extraneous junk as I can, usually involving PLAY commands to stop the game working in 48 BASIC. I expect to score very highly for unoriginality (this is pretty much by design), lack of gameplay (though there will be some - just like there was in the most pared-back 1K ZX81 listing from 1982) and style over substance (plenty of that is assured).

I intend to take my previous entry, Super Mario Fruit Machine, to the cleaners. In retrospect, I should have paid out the money in yen in that game rather than dollars, but what's done (16 years ago) is done. And looking to the future, if my upcoming entry is deemed "least crap game in the competition", I'm already planning my strategy to host CSSCGC 2021...
    Post edited by The Mighty Dopethrone on