Corona Virus,

edited March 2 in Chit chat
Is is me or is the BBC sensationalizing this corona virus too much and creating hysteria?
Post edited by Scottie_uk on
Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos

Comments

• edited February 27
    Being as the reporting on the horrors of Brexit has dried up they've got to fill the 24 hour news drivel with something.
    Post edited by Vampyre on
  • Yeah they're going overboard as usual, they love bad news.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • Just a heads up. Don’t get COVID-19 now. Wait for the COVID-20 update, which will bring stability improvements and bug fixes.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • I for one am very worried about this coronal mass ejection event. Was that not how Spanish flue started? It mutated. It could be a thing like that. It's bird flu ..and you don't want some bird flu, do you. Co 19 or Co 20 even!

Well...here in my hospital bed they just tested me for it!
    On those afternoons in utopia..
  • From what I have seen the BBC has been quite level-headed about it. Other news outlets and newspapers haven't.

• I've got a vurus, the doctor made it for me :)

As for coronal mass ejection, isn't that something Polo gets when you talk about axes.. HA HA HA!
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Ælita wrote: »
    It's bird flu ..

Any flu you get would be a bird flu (see what I did there :) )
    Ironically - you're getting a beak operation :))

Hope you're all good in there btw.
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • edited February 27
    I think the media reporting is just symptomatic of today's sensationalist style.

However, I actually think the Covid-19 virus is going to have huge global impact. While it probably won't cause millions of deaths like the Spanish Flu did 100 years ago, I think the rapidly evolving situation changing daily this week demonstrates that it's going to be nigh-on impossible to contain. It's kind of inevitable now that it will spread as widely as regular flu, unless everyone is confined to their homes for weeks, which isn't going to happen.

In fact, it's impact will be larger than regular flu because there is already a certain amount of immunity to that, and there are widespread winter vaccinations programs. But there is nothing to fight Covid-19, and more worryingly it seems that carriers can be infectious for 2 weeks before displaying symptoms, which is what's making it impossible to contain in today's globally-connected world. In contrast, the superficially-similar SARS virus from 18 years ago typically only got spread by people starting showing symptoms. So that was easier to contain.

It's not going to be Armageddon, but the worldwide economic and social impacts are going to be huge, I think. Manufacturing and distribution in China have already been severely impacted and that's going to continue and multiply all over the world. Not to mention the effect on travel.

This is only going to get a lot worse before it get better...
    Post edited by Gwyn on
  • If anything its being under reported, at least in the US. The conditions are perfect for a pandemic, over population, fast travel, irresponsible government. If this one doesn't get us, another one will, its inevitable because of the conditions. Same thing in 1918. Organisms follow the food supply and expand to take advantage of an evolutionary niche.
  • Luny wrote: »
    As for coronal mass ejection, isn't that something Polo gets when you talk about axes.. HA HA HA!

I knew i should not have gone killing in that fish market!!!
    So far, so meh :)
  • It hasn't hit scotland as the virus is too scared to come here or we'll 'set aboot it' :))
  • Your all to picked to get effected.
  • edited February 28
    'Spanish flu' was bad, very bad, coming as it did at the end of WW1 - so far this COVID virus is nowhere near on the scale of that, though it is pretty serious, and hopefully sensible preparations, and precautions will alter the course of it.

They are saying about 80 percent of people who do get infected will only receive a mild dose of it.

Spanish Flu in spite of the name actually started in France, but due to Spain being neutral in the first world war, there were not the same reporting restriction as with other countries, so there was more talk about how it affected people there. The main problem was thousands of soldiers many of whom had been exposed to chemical warfare in the first world war where being treated at an army hospital in France, thousands were passing through it every day. Food was being sourced locally from a piggery nearby and that is where that flu pandemic started.
    Post edited by dmsmith on
  • I thought patient zero was a farmer in he US who had flu and spread it when he went into a nearby market. Someone mentioned this to me a while back.
  • edited February 28
    Its not just the BBC, its a lot of the news reporting, probably the BBC is one of the less sensationalist. I am cutting my intake of news down, as it doesn't help my anxiety/depression. Back when News at Ten was on in the 80s, the coverage of events even alarming ones, never was so feverish and sensational, though the reporting still managed to retain some verve. For the most part, it was calm, measured, and they waited till they had a clue what was going on, instead of going on blethering.

• edited February 29
    Well that takes me right back. What a tune.
    Man - that car at 2.25 just straight in.

I honestly don't remember it being that bad! I suppose it's water off a ducks back when you're 12/13...then again I can barely remember last week.

Post edited by alanspec on
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • zx1zx1
    edited February 29
    I'm not too worried if i get it as my health is quite robust but if my mother gets it she's finished as her health is very poor and she's 66, in poor health and housebound.
    Post edited by zx1 on
  • We need another no news day, so everyone can calm down.

• Here is the no news.

I've had my nose done and a lower face lift. Surgeon 'set aboot me' yesterday. I've have survived but my face is a swollen mess with a giant bandage around it reminiscent of dentist scenes in silent movies. Hello and good day. I thank you.

Never actuslly got tested for CORVID flu...was just a blood thinner inj.

That was the no news.

Back to the ... other thread.
  • Well done, and glad it went okay so far. How many rounds did you go with Tyson? :)
  • Over 5 hours!

Eye of the Tiger!
  • eh?

oh I see...

he he.. ADRIANNNNN!
    Here is the no news.

I've had my nose done and a lower face lift. Surgeon 'set aboot me' yesterday. I've have survived but my face is a swollen mess with a giant bandage around it reminiscent of dentist scenes in silent movies. Hello and good day. I thank you.

Never actuslly got tested for CORVID flu...was just a blood thinner inj.

That was the no news.

Back to the ... other thread.

I bet you looked awesome before the surgery! :D
  • ITV (ITN?) news is worse than Fox News, they try and sensationalise everything, the worst culprits are without doubt Tom Bradby and Julie Etchingham.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • I haven't watched ITN for years., or even ITV in general..
    So far, so meh :)
    Surgeon 'set aboot me' yesterday. I've have survived but my face is a swollen mess with a giant bandage around it reminiscent of dentist scenes in silent movies.

Glad to hear from you so soon afterwards - but don't forget to get some downtime.

Only advice I can offer is to stay away from here for a while. We're all so funny you'll bust your face open.
  • edited February 29
    alanspec wrote: »
    Well that takes me right back. What a tune.
    Man - that car at 2.25 just straight in.

I honestly don't remember it being that bad! I suppose it's water off a ducks back when you're 12/13...then again I can barely remember last week.

I think we have tendency to filter out things that might be too alarming to fully digest in one go. I vaguely remember the morning of that storm, TV am and Anne Diamond were trying to put a cheery face on it and saying things are not quite normal today, and I thought it was the usual TV am hick-ups, then she said in a rather understated manner, such and such pier has just been blown into the sea!!! Then it went over to Nicolas Witchell reporting about it, I was going to ignore the news and go on getting ready for school, but was like hang on something's up today, he looks like he's in some makeshift newsroom.

• ITV (ITN?) news is worse than Fox News, they try and sensationalise everything, the worst culprits are without doubt Tom Bradby and Julie Etchingham.

I was refering to it back in the eighties, seemed to be a bit more serious then, and of course the clip was about the worst storm to hit the UK in decades so it was a fairly dramatic day news wise, but I still felt they just reported it as it was across the country.
  • dmsmith wrote: »
    ITV (ITN?) news is worse than Fox News, they try and sensationalise everything, the worst culprits are without doubt Tom Bradby and Julie Etchingham.

I was refering to it back in the eighties, seemed to be a bit more serious then, and of course the clip was about the worst storm to hit the UK in decades so it was a fairly dramatic day news wise, but I still felt they just reported it as it was across the country.
    So essentially nothing has changed in the last 30 years.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited February 29
    dmsmith wrote: »
    ITV (ITN?) news is worse than Fox News, they try and sensationalise everything, the worst culprits are without doubt Tom Bradby and Julie Etchingham.

So essentially nothing has changed in the last 30 years.

Not sure what you mean, of course things have changed, but I was making a point about how the news was when something serious happened in the 80s - that is to say I think things have changed in the way news is reported.