New Spectrum, new Spectrum... what about the old one?

Suppose Amstrad were to release not a new spectrum but the old one, plain and simple. Well, "rapackaged", say the 128k with a proper keyboard, or whatever, even just exactly the same (after all, Fender is selling 'vintage' guitars "treated as old", aren't they).

For as cheap as a similar thing could be produced for nowadays.

Forget general sound or no colour clash, I'd get myself one if the price was fair. :)

(dunno about 'fair'.)
Post edited by Alessandro Tommasi on

Comments

• edited October 2004
    That would be Amazing !

How much do you think they could produce it for, if they had the sense, considering the fact of how cheap everything seems to be nowadays, if reasonably large production?

I`d buy one :)

Perhaps when the English version of The Apprentice has happened and someone gets hired, he or she will suggest it, hopefully (The American version was way cool on BBC2)

Agree by the way about the colour clash, whilst I like the newer `upgrades` to spec technology, for some reason I love the spectrums screen the way it is :)

[ This Message was edited by: CKay on 2004-10-26 20:01 ]
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-26 19:46, Alessandro Tommasi (after all, Fender is selling 'vintage' guitars "treated as old", aren't they).

If you want a Spectrum with burn marks and missing keys, why not try eBay? :)
  • edited October 2004
    I always say that you can't beat that hue separation effect on the original TV screen - the picture lacks something without it.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited October 2004
    Around 1986, at a trade computer exhibition, I saw an expensive graphics card with "hardware anti-alias".

To me, it looked exactly like the Speccy's dot-crawl. ;)
    I never make misteaks mistrakes misyales errurs — oh, sod it.
  • edited October 2004
    I would buy it for sure.

Although I suspect it woudn't be 128, but rather +2 or +3.

But if they would want produce real ZX, there would be no GS or better GFX (like in ZX PROFI or others...)

Old-school, but new ZX? Yes, for sure.
    And not only me. Many my friends would buy it too.

(Hey, hey, let somebody forward link with this discussion to Amstrad!!! ;) ).
  • edited October 2004
    Although I liked the original 128K most due to its stylish design and it being a genuine Sinclair machine, I think a +2a is the better choice for retro gaming (due to built-in tape recorder and the real keyboard). Two additions would be nice:

- Tape counter and volume control
    - Ordinary joystick socket wiring

I would immediately pay as much as a Gamecube costs these days, so that's about 75 Euros in Germany. Might sound a bit steep, but with thousands of games available for free on WoS, I think it's a good investment.

Yet, the rubber-key model might be the best choice to catch the retro hype. The whole machine should fit on a single chip these days. Everything would be 3.3V or 5V. Less power consumption, smaller, maybe integrated mains adaptor. Would be clever to have a built-in joystick port. Maybe should come with a joystick because you can't get Atari sticks anymore these days.

The only problem is that many people don't own a tape recorder any more and wouldn't want to bother with real game tapes if they did. For the mass of thirtysomethings who'd just like to have a quick glimpse at their own past, a machine with built-in games or one of these 10-in-1 joysticks would be preferrable. So I suppose that would be the way to go for Amstrad, unfortunately (though I suppose I'd still buy one, sentimental as I am).
  • edited October 2004
    a +3 with a proper floppy drive sounds most viable, altough I doubt it would happen, altough Amstrad do have a tradition for odd ideas....
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-27 16:54, thx1138 wrote:
    a +3 with a proper floppy drive sounds most viable, altough I doubt it would happen, altough Amstrad do have a tradition for odd ideas....

... I suppose they bought that tradition together with the rights to the Sinclair computers? :)
  • edited October 2004
    If they made one as small as possible (like an original 48k sized machine) with the full 128k spec and a built-in 3.5" drive I'd buy one for certain. No trailing power supply would be a big bonus too.

Actually... I think I just described a Sam Coupe. :)
  • edited October 2004
    well, yes - a standard joystick port would be required.

although typical 8bit joystick isn't very popular nowadays... maybe they would have to be added into a 'set'. ;)

and tape...? I can't see any problems, as it can normally work with audio-CD.
  • edited October 2004
    hmmm.... so maybe at once they could add some CD's with the best games (recorded in the best TURBO of coz). :)