English Aristocratic Games

How "nobby" do you want to go?

Well I reckon "Lord Harry" is worthy of consideration .

Yup, all the games about "toffs" can be listed here .But should "Dennis Through the Drinking Glass " be Included? ( some would put Dennis ,if they can remember him , in the Meritocracy - but I am not sure whether a thread on Spectrum "meritocratic" games could be justified!)

Comments

• Flunky
    Batman - He has a butler so he must be a toff!
  • Well his super power is "being rich".
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Snodgits should count.
    Thanked by 1harriusherbartio
  • Could Head over heels count? It does have the Dalek that looks like Prince Charles?
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited March 26
    Could Head over heels count? It does have the Dalek that looks like Prince Charles?
    Well considering that the Prince Charles lookalike is a mindless automaton that the player can move at his/her own leisure, I'd say it does not count.

Foxx Fights Back seems to me an example of an anti-aristocratic game instead.
    Post edited by Alessandro Grussu on
  • I dunno your description makes it seem all the more authentic now that I think about it :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited March 26
    What about the obvious...

JetSetWilly.jpg

He's got money, wears a top hot....
    Post edited by Luny on
    Thanked by 1p13z
  • Luny wrote: »

JetSetWilly.jpg

Wasn't he a miner before?
  • Yes, Prime Minister?
  • Luny wrote: »

JetSetWilly.jpg

Wasn't he a miner before?

He bought his title! :)
  • Could Head over heels count? It does have the Dalek that looks like Prince Charles?

It's not. Read my Jon Ritman interview in the forthcoming Crash Annual...
  • There's an obscure game called Baron, which was released in 1983. It's a strategy/management type game set in medieval times.
  • edited March 27
    Ok

Lets make it a bit more specific :lets limit it to English Aristocracy from the 19th century to date . So if there was a game called Downturn Abbey or Belgroovia they could well be in! so far , with the "new criteria " only qbout 3 so far would make it onto the list . It is hard to get into "Aristocracy"!
    Post edited by harriusherbartio on
  • Will King's Keep work in this thread? I know I've thrown it out there before ;)
  • There's Hampstead and Urban Upstart text adventure s for people on the up. And Stifflip And Co and Terramex for those already there.
  • I think we are struggling to find proper English Aristos .

So lets broaden it out to European ones :-If there are any games out there about the ( in the19th-20th century ) , Baroness of Batvia , or the Margrave of Mecklenburg , or the Count of Cordoba , lets hear about them!
  • How about Count Duckula?
  • edited March 28
    Hey the name fits : well done!!!

And there was Count Duckula 2!

And I suppose we should not forget the BURGHERS , but they have probably B*gg**** OFF
  • King Kong? Prince of Persia?

• Thanks for that

I found one "Lord Bromleys Estate" (Amstrad) 1990
  • And there was Count Duckula 2!

Yes, but we don't talk about that one!
  • It depends where you draw the line
  • There's The Plot, which is based on Guy Fawkes's attempt to blow up a lot of aristocrats. There's also Cromwell At War.

You'll probably struggle to find many games based on real life aristocrats as, despite the romantic idea of it, most of them probably lived quite uneventful lives.
  • Thanks Nick

Good thinking . I had not heard of The Plot
  • Nick wrote: »
    There's The Plot, which is based on Guy Fawkes's attempt to blow up a lot of aristocrats. There's also Cromwell At War.

You'll probably struggle to find many games based on real life aristocrats as, despite the romantic idea of it, most of them probably lived quite uneventful lives.

What like Princess Anne, Lord Lucan and Lord Mountbatten (who got involved in a failed coup against he gov.) ;)
  • edited March 31
    Reply to Luny

I remember the "vibe on the street"

Yes I remember at that time being told that "something was up" . There were a lot of rumours . There was definitely something going on circa "1977 ish", which was later largely covered up .Part of the elite were definitely getting into scrapes back then! Did it even come close? Why was there no Speccy game for that !!!?
  • edited March 31
    Treachery (C&VG) 1984 is an interesting one . I paid ( on Ebay) about a fiver for some "tokens" for it . I hope they were not out of a Corn Flakes packet !

It is a strategy / management game so it go in my "sister" thread for that! In the WOS archive there is only a Z80 file for it . I had a quick look but could not figure it . Maybe the tokens will reveal all!

And there is "War of the Roses" CCS

The Gunpowder Plot (Jaxsoft) is MIA

I think the one that Nick mentioned is "Gunpowder , Treason and Plot" (Redwood Deigns) 1988
    (but I do not think that "Plotter 3D" by Ziga Turk fits the bill as it is a Maths Utility!) I thought it meant they were just doing their plotting right out in the open!)

• Reply to Luny

I remember the "vibe on the street"

Yes I remember at that time being told that "something was up" . There were a lot of rumours . There was definitely something going on circa "1977 ish", which was later largely covered up .Part of the elite were definitely getting into scrapes back then! Did it even come close? Why was there no Speccy game for that !!!?

According to sources, if you read up on it, the coup was ready to go I think (not sure how much of that is just drama). They encouraged Lord Mountbatten because he was the chief of the Defence Staff and was very well respected. They wanted him to so they could have the army behind them. However the government intelligence caught wind and Wilson told the queen. She slapped his wrist and told him to stop being naughty as anything he did was in the name of the Windsors. Who knows <shrug>
  • Another one :-

Sir Francis Drake (LCL) 1984 . Also a Management/Strategy Game