New game: a jet pack plataform game that can be played with only two buttons.

New game: a jet pack plataform game that can be played with only two buttons ('O' for jet pack left and 'P' for jet pack right)

Download:

82.223.17.101:8080/a.tap

Play online:

https://rodrigorc.github.io/raze/?48k=Y&tape=82.223.17.101:8080/a.tap

Instructions:
Eat blue squares.
Avoid grey squares. Avoid green blocks.
Magenta square: teletransport.

Screenshot:
jetpac2.png

Thank you.

Comments

• Neat. I love it!

Almost 14K, though. :-O Did you write it straight in assembly or was it compiled from a higher-level language?
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • Minimal in the extreme but good fun :)

How is the game called, then?
  • Neat. I love it!

Almost 14K, though. :-O Did you write it straight in assembly or was it compiled from a higher-level language?

It is written in plain C (no library).

Sorry for the huge size. I didn't optimize it: each screen is 32x24 bytes long.

• jose wrote: »
    It is written in plain C (no library).

Sorry for the huge size. I didn't optimize it: each screen is 32x24 bytes long.
    No worries. I wasn’t criticizing you. C explains the size. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what tools you use, as long as the result looks great—and yours does!

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

• Minimal in the extreme but good fun :)

How is the game called, then?

It has no name.

It's just a proof of concept: I wanted to try a jet pack that can be managed with two-buttons (instead of three), so it can be played with a 2-zone-touch smartwatch (I love old game watches).
  • An interesting exercise in minimalism!

Descending is more frustrating than ascending, and keeping the 2-button limitation on, I wouldn't know what to suggest.
  • it feels like a little fly or some.
    i wouldnt mind if the keys were Q-P since on the way back down i constantly use the wrong finger even with ONLY 2.... X(
    with OP tend to use my right index and middle finger, although i just could try both indexes on OP
    How many levels are there? 32X24 is only 768 byte per level. You could try a PNG type of compression with 0,1,2 as markers. but thats a next chapter for this proven concept!
    but maybe you could get it in an 16k with a 9472 byte environment? just pushing you a bit more now,
    :ar!
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler:
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • Crisis wrote: »
    it feels like a little fly or some.
    i wouldnt mind if the keys were Q-P since on the way back down i constantly use the wrong finger even with ONLY 2.... X(
    with OP tend to use my right index and middle finger, although i just could try both indexes on OP
    How many levels are there? 32X24 is only 768 byte per level. You could try a PNG type of compression with 0,1,2 as markers. but thats a next chapter for this proven concept!
    but maybe you could get it in an 16k with a 9472 byte environment? just pushing you a bit more now,
    :ar!

There are only a few levels. It can be optimized even without compression.

In version "2.0", I'll make it 16k-compatible. Perhaps more levels. And an option to use 'Q' for left ;-)

Thank you.
  • I like the game a lot. I'm not worried about the game size though. Most people complaining about that just make worse games anyway.
  • Aww . . . It’s too short. I want more levels! (And sound.) :D

• love it. infuriating too lol in the best way. :D
  • I see that the major Spectrum retro-sites are calling this game "Jetpac 2", but Jose said it has no name... :-)
  • Calling it "Jetpac 2" - I wonder why that is?

Really nice though - and yes infuriating in a good way :) Not a drinking game put it that way :)
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • Frustrating, and supremely addictive too - an interesting combination... Well designed and nicely implemented... I love it, but yes - definitely not a drinking game!!!!... ;)
  • alanspec wrote: »
    Calling it "Jetpac 2" - I wonder why that is?

It may be called "jetpac2" or "jetpac 2" because you go up-left or up-right with a jet pack. And you can play it with only two buttons, like the good old lcd game watches. ;-)