Downtime

There will be a downtime on the server over the next couple of days due to essential maintenance. I will post more details as they arrive.
My test signature

Comments

• You should put that in a big red banner at the top of the screen so everyone can see it...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • Missed it, had no idea why I couldn't get in, just got 404s.
  • The forum feels much snappier now.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • I quite enjoyed the ZX 404 page. Nice touch.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Luny wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed the ZX 404 page. Nice touch.
    id rather have that than having to speak to you lot on here ;)
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling

Yes, it was smartly done.
  • Dear admins,

I've seen the system is coming back to life after upgrades.

I've prepared in these days a type-in for Disktape
    ( https://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0027515 ),
    which was missing so far.

Sadly, both the upload and the email-contact forms are giving out 500s.

Would you mind updating this thread when ready to accept new content??

Thanks!!
  • Lee, did you mean to leave this notice “There will be a downtime on the server over the next couple of days due to essential maintenance. I will post more details as they arrive.” on the forum “front page”? It is only visible if you are not logged in.

Or is the site still subject to going off-line due to maintenance?

Mark
  • edited June 16
    I just saw new website worldofspectrum.org and it is horrible :-( I am really sad, because it looks ugly, works very slowly, it is full of annoying animations, it is impossible download anything, which is really bad for archive website.

I don't know why author did it. But now i just considering World Of Spectrum as destroyed by modernization.

Cannot download anything, it only starting that stupid online emulator. WHY?

Too much animations, unusable on modern desktop. I do not want it use on touch device... i want work with it on standard desktop with any webbrowser, not only most modern ones.

Simple things are very often better! I liked old WOS.

I did not found better place for this discussion, so moderator can move my post or delete it... does not matter. WoS is dead for me.
    Post edited by cygnus on
    Thanked by 1solaris104
  • edited June 16
    I like the new WoS website but I am just sad that the many infoseek links that I have saved over the years no longer work e.g. https://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003523 for One Man and His Droid. I like the 404 page animation and I can search by title but it would be nice if there was some backward compatibility with the old links.

Also it would be nice if search result tabs and other tabs were expanded by default.

Great work otherwise and much appreciated :)

Regards,
    Derek.
    Post edited by dbolli on
    1985: ZX Spectrum+ 48K Interface 1 ZX81 16KB ASZMIC/SP ROM Philips 12" B/W TV Epson Dot Matrix Printer ZX Printer Now: Late 2015 iMac 5K 27" 4GHz i7 32GB RAM macOS 10.15.6 1TB Ext SSD USB C Drive Ext 4TB 3TB and 2TB USB 3 Hard Disks Ext USB 3 Blu-Ray iPad R7 32GB iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 13.6 Apple TV Gen 2
  • The new WOS is terrible. Missing advanced search. Animations on the home page are delayed. Old links are broken. Sorry, Spectrumcomputing is much better.
  • dbolli wrote: »
    I like the new WoS website but I am just sad that the many infoseek links that I have saved over the years no longer work e.g. https://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003523 for One Man and His Droid. I like the 404 page animation and I can search by title but it would be nice if there was some backward compatibility with the old links.

Also it would be nice if search result tabs and other tabs were expanded by default.

Great work otherwise and much appreciated :)

Regards,
    Derek.

Fixed the links..
    My test signature
    Thanked by 1dbolli
  • cygnus wrote: »
    I just saw new website worldofspectrum.org and it is horrible :-( I am really sad, because it looks ugly, works very slowly, it is full of annoying animations, it is impossible download anything, which is really bad for archive website.

I don't know why author did it. But now i just considering World Of Spectrum as destroyed by modernization.

Cannot download anything, it only starting that stupid online emulator. WHY?

Too much animations, unusable on modern desktop. I do not want it use on touch device... i want work with it on standard desktop with any webbrowser, not only most modern ones.

Simple things are very often better! I liked old WOS.

I did not found better place for this discussion, so moderator can move my post or delete it... does not matter. WoS is dead for me.

Click on files.. you'll see a link to download everything as a zip - this was never an option before - I can move the link to a more obvious place.
    My test signature
  • edited June 16
    Click on files.. you'll see a link to download everything as a zip - this was never an option before - I can move the link to a more obvious place.
    Thanks, i found it.

But it is still horribly slow. I really hate JavaScript and this modern style of making websites...

(I just deleted original post.)

Post edited by cygnus on
  • edited June 16
    Fixed the links..
    Yay! Many thanks for that. Links are now working again.

But when I click the Infoseek link I get an error message:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /var/www/vhosts/worldofspectrum.org/public_html/addons/shared_addons/modules/wos_core/models/opengraph_m.php on line 139

See, no good deed ever goes unpunished :)

Regards,
    Derek.
    Post edited by dbolli on
    1985: ZX Spectrum+ 48K Interface 1 ZX81 16KB ASZMIC/SP ROM Philips 12" B/W TV Epson Dot Matrix Printer ZX Printer Now: Late 2015 iMac 5K 27" 4GHz i7 32GB RAM macOS 10.15.6 1TB Ext SSD USB C Drive Ext 4TB 3TB and 2TB USB 3 Hard Disks Ext USB 3 Blu-Ray iPad R7 32GB iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 13.6 Apple TV Gen 2
  • My test signature
  • andidonbas wrote: »

This will take a day or two. I'll create an advanced search for things like this.
    My test signature
  • andidonbas wrote: »

This will take a day or two. I'll create an advanced search for things like this.

ok
    thanks
  • cygnus wrote: »
    WoS is dead for me.
    and for me

• goodboy wrote: »
    cygnus wrote: »
    WoS is dead for me.
    and for me
    And you don't even say why...

• I liked minimalist text design, Why should I digest so much?
    is it possible to make a choice of new/old design on the main page?
  • edited June 30
    You can use the filters (Column Visibility) at the top of the page to remove (or add) as many fields as you want, Infoseek remembers your selection so the next time you search only the fields you've selected will be displayed. You can also select how many results per page you want from 10 to 500.

New Infoseek give you a lot more flexibility, which is what people asked for. You can be minimalistic like yourself or have the full ranges of fields like others wanted. The choice is yours.
    Post edited by rich_chandler on
    id rather have that than having to speak to you lot on here ;)

Judging by your forum picture you must be a Sontaran. Very much in character, then!
    :))
  • On a side note, can I ask why there was a need to change the old WOS to what we have now?

IMO the old adage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind here. I appreciate the time and effort it's taken for the new design, but I wish there was an option to revert back to the old site if we wanted to.
  • What's up at the moment is a very small set of hundreds of pages. The original was 25yrs old. It's not mobile friendly - and therefore not search engine friendly, it's not accessible, etc... there were virtually no standards 25yrs ago. There are now. If you think you can put together a site that has all of the links to the hundreds of pages scattered around, accessible to screen readers, mobile friendly and is exactly the same as the old one, go for it. In the meantime I am sectioning everything.
    If you look at the FAQ pages, there are many pages hidden and linked in there - some I have put back, some still to do. IIRC there are around 20 pages hidden in there, not easily found. One thing I will be adding to the basic infoseek engine is page searches, but these things still need to be easily accessible.
    The amount of sections makes a top menu difficult. So to keep items visible, there is a side menu. This is per section.
    On the old site, a lot of pages had zero navigation. You had no idea where you were on the site, and had to click the back button to get anywhere.

That's a small set of reasons.
    My test signature
  • About this new layout:
    The game section.
    Where is the inlays, rating system, all the adverts/magazine scans, cover music etc ?
  • Dasse wrote: »
    About this new layout:
    The game section.
    Where is the inlays, rating system, all the adverts/magazine scans, cover music etc ?
    Check out Manic Miner for example.
    Look under Files. The inlays, adverts, mp3 music are all there. The rating system has been dumped as it was flawed and being abused.
    You can also go to SPOT*oN (Under Searches in the Menu on the lwft)and you'll find pages of adverts features etc for Manic Miner,
  • When a website is base on a computer that came out in 1982, I'd expect there to be some resistance to change.
  • chop983 wrote: »
    When a website is base on a computer that came out in 1982, I'd expect there to be some resistance to change.
    Haha!!!!