Is FTP WOS available ?

Hello friends !

it makes a loooooooooong time i came here. it's fine to retrieve this good old site !

i tried to reconnect to the FTP , and i was surprised it's no more possible to "anonymous".
So is there a means to retrieve an access please ?

thank you a lot !

20060707090716744216838372.png

Comments

• edited June 7
    I think its been like that for ages as there was the odd link or so on infoseek pages that would show a 403 and the reason being due to it being and ftp protocol. There was a mirror at meulie dot net but afaik that's not been there for quite a while now too.

Internet archive perhaps ? I've not checked but there might be some iso of bundles or game packs maybe, as well as individual downloads if it was something in particular that was not here (newer games maybe?)

Failing that if you don't mind spending a couple of € / $ / £ (insert a currency symbol of choice here) perhaps just perhaps an ebay cd if its just some kind of 'big games bundle' you're after. Be aware most of those are likely to contain denied titles though...
    Post edited by spider on

• I suspect the OP might want to do an FTP download (via client) of a directory. I can't honestly say I've tried that with a htt protocol rather than ftp but its been ages since I even connected to here via that, never had a need. :)
  • spider wrote: »

I suspect the OP might want to do an FTP download (via client) of a directory. I can't honestly say I've tried that with a htt protocol rather than ftp but its been ages since I even connected to here via that, never had a need. :)
    I suspect he does as well but that sort of thing got the DB stolen for another website...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • FTP won't be returning, however we do have a new change coming shortly.

You will be able to download a zip of all files relating to a title. We will also be increasing the download limit on the new site to reflect this, as the new scanned images are very big, and some of the books are quite large.

We won't be allowing a free-for-all download of everything. This led to illegal copies of the site appearing elsewhere. Although with recent news, hopefully archive.org will be forced to close shortly.
    My test signature
  • I like the idea of having a .zip (built on the fly maybe, not too difficult, been years was php ziparchive iirc) of say when you view a game you can get a .zip of all of it, as in the inlays, texts and for example the two or three different tapes of it.

Point of waffle above is its an excellent idea, if I've understood correctly.

I.Archive, well I rarely use it at all although it is handy for the odd magazine browse and whatnot to be honest. I've got an open mind (read: I don't really know enough to make a sensible and logical decision) on my thoughts on the erm 'matters in hand'

I like the idea of having a .zip (built on the fly maybe, not too difficult, been years was php ziparchive iirc) of say when you view a game you can get a .zip of all of it, as in the inlays, texts and for example the two or three different tapes of it.

Exactly that. The zips are used as a cache - same with the mags zips/pdfs. Just means we can add/remove items without worrying about the zips. I have found that the google bot is a good way of creating the cache files :)
    My test signature
    Thanked by 1spider
  • thank you for all your answers

it should be a great solution to share the entire FTP updated in some 7z with .PAR on newsgroups or torrentzip.

Some years ago, i downloaded the entire FTP WOS with Flashfxp.

here it is my current checkpoint

20060802532416744216839744.png

i just need to get the changes (new & updated files) from this date. and i'll share to community if you want. (i'll get Optic fiber in one or two months !)

what do you mean about that ?
  • No, the database will never be available for download in it's entirety ever again. Especially since it was stolen to use on another site. Luckily there are so many errors and inaccuracies (literally in the thousands!!) in the current DB which we have almost completed correcting that the WoS DB will as always be the definitive DB for the ZX Spectrum.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • Oh do give it a rest
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • Was the FTP usage actually high ? (just curious) as in too many people downloading "too much"

Although not having a big bundle available is slightly inconvenient perhaps for some, ultimately as mentioned people can probably find a cd/dvd of a decent large selection cheaply if the need is there I suppose without any bother.

Regarding the .zip option for "all for a game" , I wonder if its worth doing this with magazines to include the download and the cover tape if appropriate in a .zip, just a random thought here.
  • Although with recent news, hopefully archive.org will be forced to close shortly.
    Classy.

• edited June 9
    I think some clarity needs to be brought in here as this thread's only getting one side of the database story.

The Infoseek database was NOT stolen. How do I know? Because, and I care not a jot who knows this, I supplied the data that populated ZXDB. Was it Infoseek's data? Certainly.

It most certainly was not stolen though, through a nefarious hack or some such. The fact of the matter is that years ago (around 2010) I had Martijn's permission to grab Infoseek data via WOS's API - which, let's remind ourselves, was publicly available at the time. I didn't need Martijn's permission for this - the data was publicly available - but as a matter of common courtesy Martijn was asked. He was more than happy.

So I wrote a script that grabbed the JSON results from the API and stored them in my database. This data sat there for the next few years doing basically nothing. Martijn eventually left, Lee took over and the old WOS server went down permanently. Lee got hold of the server, amazingly managed to resurrect things and eventually announced WoS 2.0. Because nothing was forthcoming and Lee was getting a load of flak he announced that he was leaving altogether (and I fully understood why). In that thread everyone was worried about what would happen to the data and, long story short, I remembered that I had that data from years ago and offered it to the guys who now build ZXDB (after transforming the JSON to database tables), just in case WOS suddenly disappeared.

It was a frantic time for all for those who remember and there was certainly nothing sinister behind it.
    Post edited by Vampyre on
    Thanked by 1guesser
  • I suspect he does as well but that sort of thing got the DB stolen for another website...
    No, the database will never be available for download in it's entirety ever again. Especially since it was stolen to use on another site.

You are clearly referring to ZXDB. How can I be certain? Because it's the only database that uses the original data from Martijn's WoS, and because you explicitly mentioned it when you made the same accusation back in 2018:
    ZXDB? Naah you're ok. I'd prefer to use data that wasn't pilfered from WoS

So I will explain it one more time. The data was not "stolen". All internal WoS files were given to me by Lee Fogarty for ZXDB in July 2016. Quoting from the ZXDB thread:
    OK, I just uploaded here the first few megabytes of WoS database conversion. Thanks a lot to Lee Fogarty, Peter Jones, and especially Gerard Sweeney for their help on this task!!!
    However I have now access to the "disjoint" files from WoS archive and I'm working to turn them into a real database (with help from some people I just mentioned).

This is something you already knew but conveniently forgot, because days later I posted:
    For the record, I'm converting the entire WoS database the "hard way", from the original internal WoS files.

And you immediately replied:
    You've done a really good job there Einar, and at least you've proved that it's not just an afternoon's work just to fix the database as so many of our critics believe.

Your post also complained about this data being "used on another site". You are obviously referring to SpectrumComputing, the first site to use ZXDB (launched by Peter in 2016 after Lee decided he didn't want to use ZXDB himself). However read again Lee Fogarty's post about it from January 2017:
    It's a fun project and I will support as much as I have - and if this or any project uses the WoS api or whatever we eventually agree for ZXDB - which we will one way at some point - all it proves is that idiots won't win. Peter and Einar are good guys doing a good thing - if it comes down to it, I am happy to host their work from my business account. We have "discussions" but neither Einar or Peter are doing anything WoS disagrees with or have argued against.

Later Lee Fogarty even made it official that this data (that both ZXDB imported from Martijn's WoS internal files, and Lee is using to build the new WoS database) was open source and fully available. Quoting from May 2017:
    The WoS database isn't open source, but the data in it is
    Like I said, the data is open source and fully available.

Come on, I'm tired of going back to the same discussions over and over again. I have no desire to participate in this forum anymore, but you keep dragging me back here. Please stop posting false claims, and I will stop posting counterproofs. It's that simple.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • Einar has informed me that the API extract I provided wasn't used in the end to create ZXDB, but only to verify things, so apologies for leading everyone down the wrong path. But it did highlight that a lot of the data was freely available for some considerable time.
    Was the FTP usage actually high ? (just curious) as in too many people downloading "too much"

Although not having a big bundle available is slightly inconvenient perhaps for some, ultimately as mentioned people can probably find a cd/dvd of a decent large selection cheaply if the need is there I suppose without any bother.

Regarding the .zip option for "all for a game" , I wonder if its worth doing this with magazines to include the download and the cover tape if appropriate in a .zip, just a random thought here.

You can download a zip/pdf of the mags at the moment. It is the intention to include the covertape where we can.
    My test signature
  • No, the database will never be available for download in it's entirety ever again.

why not ? From my point of view, the initial goal of the site was the preservation and possibly the dissemination of a kind of online encyclopedia of everything related to the ZX Spectrum. I do not see the problem of making available the immense work that has been accomplished. And then everyone knows that old programs, copyrights etc, everyone does not care now, this only concerns emulation enthusiasts, retrogamers, and users of the ZX Spectrum

• edited June 11
    For a database and repository of a lot of other people's work, much of which you assume a default right to copy even when you don't have explicit permission (and even when you do it's granted for free) this bunker-mentality about the data is pretty childish, and hardly 'community-minded'.
    Post edited by joefish on
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited June 11
    You can download a zip/pdf of the mags at the moment. It is the intention to include the covertape where we can.
    Does actually (for me) load a lot better now, the "live" site. I never said anything months ago but it was really slow on my slow connection. Its not as fast as raw HTML would be but its at an acceptable viewing/loading speed lately. :)

EDIT... That's a compliment not a complaint! ... Credit where it is due and it works OK lately!
    Post edited by spider on
  • joefish wrote: »
    For a database and repository of a lot of other people's work, much of which you assume a default right to copy even when you don't have explicit permission (and even when you do it's granted for free) this bunker-mentality about the data is pretty childish, and hardly 'community-minded'.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.
    As you can see from what is on the "live" domain, and the API documents, almost all data is available. In fact, a hell of a lot more than was ever released. The advantage with the API is that the data will always be the most recent in the archive. There is no need to keep getting all of it to keep updated.

The files are also all available - I am currently uploading over 100k book pages. I've added another 60k magazine pages this week too. The software will be on the live domain in the next week or so. What you can download then is the same as always - in the case of software, you get more than just the tzx files - you can download all material related to it in one zip.

The download restrictions are being increased to reflect that more info is available. There has always been restrictions. The original poster has been registered for 17yrs and made 3 posts. The first two were complaining at being banned from the FTP due to abusing the download policy!
    spider wrote: »
    Does actually (for me) load a lot better now, the "live" site. I never said anything months ago but it was really slow on my slow connection. Its not as fast as raw HTML would be but its at an acceptable viewing/loading speed lately. :)

I've upgraded the server, and spent some considerable time over the last few weeks increasing the speed of the site. I'm glad it's noticeable!

Imagine if everyone was trying to grab what is currently 530gb at the same time!
    My test signature
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited June 11
    What I mean is, accusing other people of 'stealing' this information is - to coin a phrase - a bit rich.

Post edited by joefish on
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited June 11
    I've upgraded the server, and spent some considerable time over the last few weeks increasing the speed of the site. I'm glad it's noticeable!

Imagine if everyone was trying to grab what is currently 530gb at the same time!

Yes it is quite noticeable for those on a slower connection. Its not -that- slow (have changed hardware a little bit) but compared to regular home broadband/cable it is painful but I only browse I don't bother with on demand TV or stuff etc.

Its appreciated, so I say "thank you" :)

530gb is a big chunk. Now imagine loading that from tape :p , by tape I don't mean what used to be used (might still be? I'm years out of date with server tech now I suspect) for server backups aka DAT and such, I mean Speccy tape... :D :D

Program: Loader
    Bytes: WOS backup

**** several millennia later ****

"READY" :)

:D
    Post edited by spider on
  • joefish wrote: »
    What I mean is, accusing other people of 'stealing' this information is - to coin a phrase - a bit rich.

Putting a database out that is an exact copy of another database, with a tag line saying "created by" is a bit rich too.
    I've recently looked at the structure of ZXDB. It's an almost exact copy of the old WoS tables - considering we, along with Martijn helped him with it - all under the impression it was for the good of WoS (he was on the admin team at the time), is a **** take. It would have been much better to say he converted it rather than created it.

I've also had complaints about titles denied on WoS that are on archive.org. Because it says "WoS mirror", the assumption is that we are behind it or approved it. We didn't. So it puts a strain on relationships with copyright holders - particularly those that have given permission to WoS alone to distribute.
    My test signature
  • all under the impression it was for the good of WoS

It was...
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • Putting a database out that is an exact copy of another database

I suppose you are referring to Martijn's internal WoS files.

However you have failed to understand the distinction between data and database.

ZXDB contains all the data from Martijn's internal WoS files (and much more). But those files are not a database. How can ZXDB be an exact copy of a database that doesn't exist?

with a tag line saying "created by" is a bit rich too.

I suppose you are referring to the official ZXDB repository that clearly says I created the database, not the data inside it. This is exactly how the ZXDB front page starts:

ZXDB is an open database containing historical information of software, 
    hardware, magazines and books about ZX-Spectrum and related machines.

It was created by Einar Saukas, from the full content of Martijn van der 
    Heide's WorldOfSpectrum and Jim Grimwood's SPOT/SPEX archives (both 
    imported with consent, directly from their internal files). Afterwards
    it was expanded with literally tens of thousands of corrections, 
    additions, and integration from many other sources.

That's an accurate description, right?

I've recently looked at the structure of ZXDB. It's an almost exact copy of the old WoS tables

Again, ZXDB contains data from the old WoS files.

But the same structure? Really?

Let's take a quick tour at the old WoS files:

* maindb.dat, zx81db.dat, timexmaindb.dat, hardwaredb.dat, books.dat: each line, from each one of these files, was imported into ZXDB tables ENTRIES, RELEASES, LABELS (cross-referenced with file publishers.dat), PUBLISHERS, AUTHORS, MAGAZINES, ISSUES, MAGREFS, MAGREFLINKS, GROUPS, MEMBERS, and DOWNLOADS.

* typeinrefs.dat: each line in this file was also imported into ZXDB tables MAGAZINES, ISSUES and MAGREFS.

* compilations.dat, covertapes.dat, zines.dat: each line of these files was imported into ZXDB tables ENTRIES, RELEASES, COMPILATIONS, LABELS, and PUBLISHERS.

* fulltree.dat, remote.dat: each line of this file was cross-referenced with allnames.dat and imported into ZXDB tables DOWNLOADS (for lines with identifiable entries) and EXTRAS (for others).

* loadingscreens.dat, ingamescreens.dat, inlays.dat: each line of these files was also stored into ZXDB table DOWNLOADS.

* people.dat: each line of this file was also stored into ZXDB tables LABELS and LABELFILES.

* knownerrors.dat: each line of this file was also stored into ZXDB table ENTRIES. I particularly enjoyed converting this file since almost everything came from my own posts in this forum :)

It took me a month to import this data into ZXDB, working together with Gerard, with Martijn's support.

Anyway does it really look like the same structure to you?

Do I have your approval to make Martijn's files available for download somewhere, so anyone interested can compare them with ZXDB and draw their own conclusions? I suppose you will have no objections, since I would be releasing just another "exact copy of ZXDB", right?

considering we, along with Martijn helped him with it

Exactly. You really helped a lot, in 4 different ways:

1.) Allowing me to use Martijn's WoS internal files
    2.) Assigning Gerard to help me understand those files so I could import this data into ZXDB
    3.) Forwarding some questions to Martijn for the trickiest parts about those files
    4.) Declaring data from old WoS is "open source"

This is exactly what it says at the front page of the official ZXDB repository:
    Also special thanks to everyone that contributed to the creation of ZXDB, 
    particularly:

* Martijn van der Heide: for creating and maintaining the original 
    WorldOfSpectrum archive, and directly helping to import it into ZXDB 
    (clarifying our trickiest questions about the most obscure flags in 
    WorldOfSpectrum internal files).

* Gerard Sweeney: for invaluable assistance on importing all 
    original content from the original WorldOfSpectrum archive.

* Lee Fogarty: for providing full access to internal files from the 
    original WorldOfSpectrum archive and declaring them as "open source".

all under the impression it was for the good of WoS

For the good of WoS, I still hope you reconsider and use ZXDB in your new WoS. You would benefit from years of data fixes and additions already done by lots of contributors in ZXDB, and integration with several other databases.

As I offered before, you don't even need to use ZXDB directly. If you reveal your new database model, I will import ZXDB data into it for you.

Or you can do it yourself without my participation. It's an open database, you have already downloaded it and examined its structure. There's nothing to stop you from using it.

(he was on the admin team at the time)

Your dates are wrong.

I published the ZXDB database model in July 2016.

I finished importing all data from Martijn's WoS internal files (and fixing inconsistencies) in August 2016.

I only joined the WoS admin team much later, in February 2017, exclusively to discuss how to import ZXDB data into new WoS. And my time there was wasted discussing privately exactly the same excuses from the public discussions.

is a **** take. It would have been much better to say he converted it rather than created it.

Creating ZXDB means: I designed the database model, implemented a program to import and cross-reference all content from WoS internal files, wrote and improved algorithms to analyze, detect and fix data inconsistencies, merged this data with SPOT/SPEX data, then exported these results into the database model.

Afterwards ZXDB was expanded with lots of fixes, new content, integration with other databases, etc.

Converting data was just part of the job of creating ZXDB.

I've also had complaints about titles denied on WoS that are on archive.org. Because it says "WoS mirror", the assumption is that we are behind it or approved it. We didn't. So it puts a strain on relationships with copyright holders - particularly those that have given permission to WoS alone to distribute.

I have nothing to do with the WoS mirror at archive.org. To the best of my knowledge, nobody involved in any of the sites using ZXDB participated in creating the WoS mirror either. You are barking at the wrong tree.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited June 12
    "Wos mirror" is this one? https://archive.org/details/World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror - there says "Uploaded by Jason Scott on June 7, 2017" (i don't know, or i can't remember, if he is a "Tosec" guy, or something like that...)
    Post edited by nitrofurano on
  • He co-founded Archive Team and runs textfiles.com
  • edited June 13
    Here's how I see it, as hopefully an (almost) impartial observer.

ZXDB is great. As a part-time DBA, the database schema is sound and makes perfect sense, and it's completely open source, with multiple contributors. Anyone can update it, anyone can use it.

ZXDB has been actively updated; WoS has been dormant for the best part of a decade. Every few months there's "major upgrades this weekend", "we're importing <blah> just now", but apart from a (imho) pointless self-congratulatory and broken splash screen, nothing's been changed. Not a criticism, just what I see as an external user.

The WoS admins throw out what appear to be false statements and then don't respond when asked to explain. The chip-on-the-shoulder attitude is something I'd expect from my teenage kids, rather than supposed custodians of a fairly niche retro-gaming site. I'm sure they think they're right and it's so unfair and everyone hates me and so on, but seriously - grow up guys, as far as I can see no-one's accusing you of anything.

You don't own the data, but it's public record that you gave permission to use it - and you've been publicly credited for this. Don't be bitter that someone made a better job of it than you, be proud that you stepped up to let that happen - especially as the reason ZXDB was created to keep the WoS data alive after Lee announced that he was leaving WoS.

Post edited by KenD on
  • What I would love is the chance to download the information pages on each game in the archive on infoseek. Not the links to tzxs and jpegs etc, but just the database of release dates, prices, publishers etc. I use it so much and it would be great to have a copy of it all.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • Spector wrote: »
    What I would love is the chance to download the information pages on each game in the archive on infoseek. Not the links to tzxs and jpegs etc, but just the database of release dates, prices, publishers etc. I use it so much and it would be great to have a copy of it all.

The plan is that you will be able to in a similar way to the current mags list
    My test signature