Smallest playfield game?

What is the game with the smallest playfield?

I'm not referring to map size, but where the action takes place. Some examples:
- Jet Pac: The actions happens on almost all the screen.
- Jet Set Willy: It happens on two-thirds of the entire screen.
- Bloodwych: I haven't played it, but the screenshot shows two small "windows" on screen.

Thanks.
I was there, too
An' you know what they said?
Well, some of it was true!

Comments

• The Freescape games have a smallish window where the action takes place.
    Driller.gif

As does Carrier Command.
    CarrierCommand.gif
  • W.A.R. from Martech must be a contender.

I actually bought this bitd, though at least it was on sale.

W.A.R..gif
  • Without trying it (using PC without emulation installed so cannot check at moment) I think "Halls of the Things" also had a small 'playing' area.
  • Tau Ceti has a pretty small playing area, only 128x128. (Was it the sequel where you could edit the layout of your screen?)
    TauCeti.gif
  • Tau Ceti has a pretty small playing area, only 128x128. (Was it the sequel where you could edit the layout of your screen?)
    TauCeti.gif

Yeah, Academy had the UI editor :) Loved both of those games :)
    So far, so meh :)
  • Turbo Girl by Dinamic had quite a small playfield, coupled with not so small sprites. Really cramped.
    TurboGirl.gif

Generally speaking, you could find worst among CPC games, as it usually struggled with scrolling and its mode 0 was low res.
  • edited June 14
    I keep thinking that one of the 'Crap Game Competitions' may of had something really small, either that or maybe the infamous Cassette 50 ?

Actually one of these maybe...

This :

Startrek_3.gif

Or This

StarTrek_2.gif

>-) :D
    Post edited by spider on
  • edited June 14
    NoughtsAndCrosses_5.gif

Noughts And Crosses by Alan Evans, published by Outlet (who published three other Noughts and Crosses games, I guess they'd really cornered that particular niche market!) - I'd argue that the actual "playing area" is only 48x48 pixels.
    (If there's any "action" in this game at all)
    Post edited by i love the z80s on
  • It's not the worst by far, but the conversion of Salamander had a pretty terrible windowed view.
    Salamander.gif

A lot of scrolling games had small viewports to keep the game speed up. To keep things smooth and flicker-free you either had to deal with (a) having to draw to an off-screen buffer and copy the whole thing to the display every frame of the game (which was a big overhead) or (b) trying to redraw the entire game screen between passes of the TV display raster beam.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • Octagon Squad - the window on the bottom right:
    OctagonSquad.gif
  • Does Zoids count?
    Zoids-TheBattleBegins.gif
  • Gunfright and Nightshade were small. Sorry can't link images but archive is down for maintenance.
  • WAR was my first thought. Theres also Fury by the same people.

FuryThe.gif

Theres also Stainless Steel which has an a stupidly big sprite for the playing areas.

StainlessSteel.gif

But at least all the side bar contains information like score, lives, radar etc. WAR is just a picture, which isn't even pretty.
  • The Way of the Exploding Fist uses a wide but short height fighting area
  • Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
    LotusEspritTurboChallenge.gif

Turbo Esprit
    TurboEsprit.gif
  • War Cars Construction Kit
    WarCarsConstructionSet.gif

Clive Brooker had quite a few games featuring very small 8-pixel scrolling windows.
  • Definitely not the smallest, but Slaine deserves a mention.
    Slaine.gif
    Is this the strangest input method ever?
  • Not 100% sure, but believe the play screen in Mastertronic's Voyage Into The Unknown is this small red box here which is pretty small lol. Believe the game scored 8 or 9 pct in Crash

VoyageIntoTheUnknown.gif
  • I'm not sure Voyage Into The Unknown actually had a play area. Or any gameplay whatsoever.
  • I've been trying to post these 2 buggers for days but every time I tried infoseek was down foi maintenance, or wasn't working properly, but here we go better late than never as they say...

MasterOfMagic.gif

master of Magic has a nice little postage stamp in the top left corner.

GiveMyRegardsToBroadStreet.gif

...and Give My Regards To Broad Street doesn't have much you can play around with either...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Sorry for neglecting this thread.

On another forum, I was discussing about a spectrum trying to load a snapshot without corrupting screen. That's not possible without using extra hardware, but I was thinking about using a 128k to avoid most of corruption. I guess I could do it, but it would be unavoidable to use (at least) 12 bytes, divided on two lines of 6 bytes (48x2 bytes). I thought that putting those 2 lines on the playfield would result on screen corruption that disappears and leave no traces (if you corrupt a non-updated zone, like the screen frame on TMHT, you'll have screen corruption all time).

I was wondering if any software developer had made playfield so small... and you've found some examples at least as wide as my window. On the other side, those games uses very big scoreboards, that are usable to hide that corruption.

BTW, there was a space invaders mini-game on Short Circuit part 1 that had a very small playfield. I guess it doesn't qualify, as the host game has a bigger playfield.
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • It would be possible to write a version of Tetris where each piece was 4 pixels, with a playing area of 10x20 pixels.
    That would take up 0.004% of the display.
    I think you'd probably need a magnifying glass to play it, though.
  • It would be possible to write a version of Tetris where each piece was 4 pixels, with a playing area of 10x20 pixels.
    That would take up 0.004% of the display.

Of course, that should've been either 0.004 or 0.4%, not some messed up combination of the two.
  • That would take up 0.004% of the display.

Or a Lenslok
  • Sanxion had a pretty small playarea

114294-sanxion-zx-spectrum-screenshot-a-tougher-wave.png
  • Dun Darach

dundarach34.png
  • The playfield in Enigma Force (middle top) was pretty small too.

shadowfire10.png
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Shadow Warriors takes up loads of screen real estate with a fancy header.

ShadowWarriors.gif

Post edited by Maroc's Other Projection on
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Atic Atac has small playing areas on the staircase or corridor screens.
  • If i remember correctly Sidewize had quite a small playing screen.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg