New "special" issue of CRASH (with tribute to Jonathan Smith)

Hi everyone,

so it's not really an issue of CRASH and also lacking a bit as far as page numbers are concerned. This is just me having a bit of fun, and also serves as a tribute to Jonathan Smith who died on June 26th, 2010.

un7SX1w.jpg

How to read this:

You may download a 14 megabytes PDF from here (use "book view" or w/e it's called in your PDF viewer of choice to display it properly) or alternatively use this link to view a couple of slightly higher resolution images than in the PDF, they're all 2180 pixels high (Protip: set your browser to full screen view, the pics will be much sharper that way!).

You'll find an awful lot of puns (sorry!), a bit of foul language and tons of inside jokes and references to people, games, names and events from the Spectrum scene. Most of this is based on WoS as it is what my magazine was based on at first, but I included some people from SC later on as I'm not biased towards any community.

I'm posting this on both World of Spectrum and Spectrum Computing, but if you liked it and wish to share it on Facebook or Twitter, please go right ahead! I don't do any social media myself but I'm certainly not opposed to my creation getting more exposure in the retro scene. The more the merrier!

In case you're wondering what this Oilboy 5 is all about - this is why you're actually seeing this whole thing in the first place! It was a fake game cover I made for my brother as a present for his 40th birthday a few years back. His first name happens to be Oliver and I remember seeing the "Oil" barrel in the 1st stage of Donkey Kong when we were youngsters - this prompted me to call him Oil too annoy him, which at some point (as we were recording our voices onto tape, talking crap) evolved to "Oilboy 5". The name stuck! So when I was looking at that cover a few weeks ago and what with Joffa's ten year commemoration date coming up, the idea was born. Most of the text was my own idea, but there are also bits and bobs taken/modified from various forum posts.

I hope Mr Kean and Mr Frey don't sue me! ;)
Post edited by XTM of TMG on

Comments

• Oli and Roger are busy working on the next Crash Annual...
  • Man only about 4 pages in and loving every second of it, the Scumsoft chart put a smile on my face ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Jesus Christ I just **** myself reading the long letter.

I wont spoil the ending.... :)
  • I just skimmed the pages and I already laughed out loud... Will try to read this later today. :)>-

It makes me wonder if I can make something like that too, but a parody of some other spectrum magazine.
  • edited June 28
    Don't underestimate the time it takes to write up all this crap ... I spent an awful lot of time browsing the forums and other sources for things to shoehorn into the mag. Oh, and the game mock-ups. Being a bit of a perfectionist doesn't help either!
    Thanked by 3Luzie Timmy 1024MAK
  • Excellent, have only skimmed most of it, but like what I see :)

Mark
  • This is an incredible bit of work! If you're planning on doing any more pages, you can have an exclusive on my recently-unearthed lightsynth Son et Lumiere (once I get around to making a .TAP file of it, that is...)
  • edited June 30
    Sorry, but I don't plan on adding any more pages, it was enough work as it is. Also your software actually exists, right? The reviewed games in my mag were all joke games I made up. Well, like everything else in it ...
  • XTM of TMG wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't plan on adding any more pages, it was enough work as it is. Also your software actually exists, right? The reviewed games in my mag were all joke games I made up. Well, like everything else in it ...

Damn, and just like that, my dream of being reviewed in Crash dies... again. Maybe I'll try for the next issue of Unclear User...

• Bad Horsey wrote: »
    XTM of TMG wrote: »

Damn, and just like that, my dream of being reviewed in Crash dies... again. Maybe I'll try for the next issue of Unclear User...

You could still be in the new Crash Annual... Message me
  • merman wrote: »
    Bad Horsey wrote: »
    XTM of TMG wrote: »

You could still be in the new Crash Annual... Message me
    Fame at last!!!!!¬
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • So, after a week has passed it's safe to say this was a failure.

When I sat down about a month ago, thinking about creating a little tribute to Joffa and the Speccy scene in general, at first I only had WOS in mind. I had a lot of fun searching the forums for material to use, then coming up with witty ways to shoehorn it into a review or letter, always pondering (with a bit of gleeful anticipation) the reaction it would prompt with the various forum members whom I've had known for so many years. After all, those Brits are funny blokes who enjoy a bit of a laugh and a pi*sstake, aren't they. They'll appreciate it.

Alas, I guess they never saw it. zx1, polomint, Mel, Scottie and so many others ... I made this for you. But of all the WOSsers I mentioned in the mag, Boozey was the only one to actually respond on here.

900 lines XTM - now don't do it again!
  • Aw shame. I think it was worth the effort. It gave quite a few people a good laugh, me included. It was brilliantly produced and very well written. I'm only sorry I didn't let you know earlier, but I've been a bit sporadic in replying to comments lately. So well done on the effort and the quality of the mag.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Its only been a week, I've not got round to reading it yet!
  • edited July 5
    Luny wrote: »
    Aw shame. I think it was worth the effort. It gave quite a few people a good laugh, me included. It was brilliantly produced and very well written.
    Luny wrote: »
    So well done on the effort and the quality of the mag.
    Agreed
    =D>

ETA: If you have not yet downloaded it, or not read it yet, you really are missing out :(

Mark
    Post edited by 1024MAK on
  • 153 Downloads massively outweighs the thread responses here yes but I wouldn't call it failure. I'm sure I've also seen some of the Speccy folk on Twitter sharing it around too, so it's got out there. I downloaded and read it not long after you posted it and enjoyed the old style Crash layout and comedy with modern Speccy personalities. I should have posted my thanks so sorry for that. I feel I'm in a big group of spec-chums that would love the old Speccy mags to make a comeback, and what you did quench our thirst. :)
  • Maybe like Mat the Chav people will discover it years later, and not even know it was you that did it? But post it here, and be like look what I found!

Then it will snowball out of control, and everyone will want to write their own spoof Speccy mag ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • This actually made my week better. I enjoyed the screenshots* and the humour. The WOS forum history and culture changes as we're getting older. Interest also changes and some people (like me) visit but post less. Well done!

Not a failure. The Knight Rider remake of 2008, that was a failure.

*Always found screenshots fascinating when seen in mags back in the day, and this made me want to play those games.
  • XTM of TMG wrote: »
    So, after a week has passed it's safe to say this was a failure.

I've replied elsewhere but I'll say it again here. I thought it was brilliant and one of the best/funniest things I've read in years. It was professionally produced and absolutely nailed the Crash-vibe. It's in my permanent cloud-based Speccy folder and, believe me, only things a bit special get a place of honour in that folder :-)

You should be really proud of what you've produced and it was a real tonic in these crappy days we're all going through. In no way was it anywhere near a failure in my eyes.
  • Hi XTM of TMG,

Don't worry, your 'crap' mag is brilliant. I read slowly (english is not my language) and have to read throught some times to believe understanding anything. I passed it to some other speccy fans here.

And do not forget, what you do around ZX Spectrum, first do it for your fun and just second to other fans. Response is not guarenteed.

Thanks for your excellent work, I hadn't got Crash or SU in my childhood but now enjoyed reading your mag.

Pgyuri
  • I've just read and enjoyed it, and I normally find in-joke stuff tedious. Good job.

If ever I write an spoof adventure game like The Boggit, I'm going to call it Mountains Of Ketamine. The names too good not to use.
  • Thanks for the replies, guys. Good to see more people here enjoyed my work. The reason I was a bit sad about the lack of feedback is like this ... I saw it was downloaded way over 100 times, yet only 3 or 4 WOSsers even responded, so it made me wonder if maybe my humour didn't quite hit the spot and people here considered it somewhat 'meh', especially as it was much better received on that other forum (despite me having dropped a lot of WOS-related names and references in the mag).

I guess zx1 still hasn't found that spliff then ...
  • edited August 10
    I put together a PDF-File "in Booklet-Format": Could be printed on A3 Paper:

(I´ve done it with Adobe Reader from the original PDF-File in two steps:
    1) Resized pages which seems to be A5 to A4 (with Options Size / Adjust and Page Size A4) in Adobe Reader)
    printing into a new PDF-File.
    2) "Printed as Book" as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-booklets-acrobat-reader.html
    into a new PDF-File called "Crap_2020-06_DIN_A3_Book.pdf" with PDFCreator).

Download here: https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/s5CFAWAH
    Post edited by Luzie on