Editing Amstrad tape files

I did pose this question on one of the Amstrad groups on FB , I picked one that was not just full of nonsense or sales but never had a reply after a week, on reflection I probably should of asked here first!

What if anything tool-wise (real-mode DOS is OK if necessary as is Linux, but Win preferred really) is suitable to correctly edit unprotected .cdt files ? In theory you -can- easily rename and edit them with ZXBlockEditor and this works however it does not calculate the CRC correctly, resulting in a 'read error b' , roughly translated 'CRC Error!' , it does work correctly on a custom loader however in some cases but on the default typical 2067 byte length 'blocks' loader it fails.

I did try that 'CDT-View' tool too but that was just the same.

I may have to join one of the Amstrad forums I guess but figured there are bound to be some CPC464/6128 owners here!

Thanks for any info / suggestions etc. :)

Comments

• Kevin Thacker is the man to ask, he's the number 1 authority on all things CPC. Not sure where you'll find him these days though.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited July 2
    Thanks. :)

Forgot to mention I did try another 'Amstrad specific' type of Windows tool but the effect was broadly the same. I don't know enough about the system in general to be able to say do what I'd do with the Speccy, load in a block (or hack it in somehow) , modify it then save it back out again. Must read up on the tape format technicalities, but I'm half convinced there must be a tool to do this type of thing already.

Not in any rush as it was something I was looking at months ago, more a question of as/when.

One thing, if you park the CPC464 next to a +2/+3 , the speccy looks quite small in comparison! :D
    Spoiler:

EDIT... Daft to say but I did search for this type of question quite a bit (a while back I'll admit) and the only links/pages I found usually directed towards one of the tools I'd tried. Its not 'game specific' either so its not some odd protection system, any standard tape really.
    Post edited by spider on
  • Asking on cpcwiki is probably your best bet, but tape emulation is very much considered a second rate medium in general on the CPC. Most tools there tend to focus on the far more prevalent, and useful, disk formats.
  • Thanks. :)

Oh I'd agree the disk is more useful but I remain a tape fan (unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately) ;))