Forum vs Home vs new tab/page

This might be intentional, but I thought I'd mention it.

On here the forum the 'WOS' logo is linked to the main front end page, and opens in the same window/tab etc.

On the main page the forum link has got the usual target_blank affair to make it open in a new window/tab.

Not a suggestion for change unless it was intentional although if you must know my personal preference says the link on the forum to the front-end site should probably open a new tab, simply as you may wish to retain it open. I can see why the front-end one opens in a new tab though so that people don't lose wherever they were on the site when wanting to visit the forum.

As I say just feedback... Not a complaint :D

Comments

• I'm happy to go with a majority decision. Personally, I don't like the logo on the forum going back to the main site.
    My test signature
  • Thanks! :) Random suggestion and further thoughts on this, partly based on your post:

Link the logo to the forum index, realise this means the breadcrumb nav will also have a home link but it does not matter I suspect.

Then add a new link to the main page in the header (and possibly footer) a text link maybe "Home" or "Main Site" (sorry can't really think of a better word at the moment) linked to the front-end. This should be ideally a new tab opening.

Off topic kind of: Seem to recall being told a few years ago that target blank was frowned upon in some ways , realise a bit of js can do it instead but personally I've always just used the target as its a simple no fuss method and its almost sure to work! :)
  • My thoughts are this:

A home page should be the sites main home page.

Then on the home page there should be links to all the relevant main website sections.
    So on the forum pages, there should be links back to both the sites main home page and the forums main index.

If in the future WoS (or indeed other websites) expand to have say, a Wiki, an online emulator and other sections, then I would expect links in these various sections to take you back to the sites main home page.

Personally, it is rare that I visit the forums main index, because I mostly use the Recent Discussions link on the top right hand side (when the screen display is in ‘landscape’ mode).

If someone can come up with a better way of having the link to the main site on the forum, that’s fine with me. But in the meantime, using the link associated with the WoS graphic logo is fine with me.

What is not satisfactory, would be to have NO link on the forum pages that takes you back to the main site. I

On the subject of whether links should open in a new tab/window, I’m actually NOT in favour of this. If I want a link to open in a new tab/window, I use the browser to do this
    . In fact I hate it when websites force new tabs/windows to open.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts.

Mark
  • I put a target_blank in because technically the forum is separate to the main site. The only reason I don't like the logo linking to the main site is because I am so used to clicking it for the forum home! I can certainly put a link on the menu saying something relevant to go back to WoS.
    My test signature
  • edited July 3
    1024MAK wrote: »
    My thoughts are this:
    1024MAK wrote: »
    On the subject of whether links should open in a new tab/window, I’m actually NOT in favour of this. If I want a link to open in a new tab/window, I use the browser to do this {right click in Firefox, press and hold on a touch screen iOS device (iPhone/iPad)}. In fact I hate it when websites force new tabs/windows to open.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts.

Edited my own quote to change the square brackets to curly brackets as otherwise the forum software thinks that I am instructing it in BB code #-o and then you get the weird output as shown in my post above :))
    Mark
    Post edited by 1024MAK on
  • I agree, links should not open in a new tab unless the user requests them to. That is why links in text etc have that little box-arrow next to the links to allow the user to open in a new link... Or the user can right-click-open-in-new-tab, or ctrl-click, or middle-mouse-click.
    The image at the top left does not mention forums so should go back to the WOS main page. The Home link on the breadcrumbs is good enough to go back to the forum home. I've never used it, I always click on "Recent Discussions" in the vertical bar on the right.
    So far, so meh :)
  • Must confess it is more intuitive to have the logo linked to the forum index, despite it may appear to be (and is) a link to the front end. I guess this simply stems from other forum software in general (going back to say Y2K if not before etc) where the logo was usually linked to the index.

Yes I realise there's a breadcrumb nav , guess I'm old fashioned! :)

Regarding links in new windows, I've sort of regard "anything external" as should be a new tab, whereas internal ones remain the same. The reason for this is perhaps a link in a post might not easily let you click "back" , trouble is I see the main site as a slightly separate entity for some reason.
  • spider wrote: »
    Must confess it is more intuitive to have the logo linked to the forum index, despite it may appear to be (and is) a link to the front end. I guess this simply stems from other forum software in general (going back to say Y2K if not before etc) where the logo was usually linked to the index.

Yes I realise there's a breadcrumb nav , guess I'm old fashioned! :)

Regarding links in new windows, I've sort of regard "anything external" as should be a new tab, whereas internal ones remain the same. The reason for this is perhaps a link in a post might not easily let you click "back" , trouble is I see the main site as a slightly separate entity for some reason.
    It's all about muscle memory, for the 1st few days I kept hitting the WoS button to update the forum page and ending back at the frontpage. But now I've trained myself to hit home instead and it's all good.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • My only use for getting back to the main site is for searching, if for instance I need to reference something form a command. So as long as I can easily pop-up a window, find a game, copy the link and paste it in a comment that would cover my personal scenario.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • spider wrote: »
    Must confess it is more intuitive to have the logo linked to the forum index, despite it may appear to be (and is) a link to the front end. I guess this simply stems from other forum software in general (going back to say Y2K if not before etc) where the logo was usually linked to the index.
    But not always, I don’t know about the past, but these days where it links to is optional.

Mark

• I say open it in the current tab, if someone wants it in a new tab they can right click it and choose to do so.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos