Spectrum scene self destructive behaviour

edited July 4 in Updates
Elsewhere this was posted by me:
1024MAK wrote: »
And whatever the members here think, other people are talking about what’s happening with WoS elsewhere on the web.
1024MAK wrote: »
Here’s a thought, maybe the community should stop continuing to drift apart and try to get back to trying to work together. Whoops, sorry that last part was too radical, I’ll get me coat...

Most of the regular members here will need no introduction to the subject. If you are not aware of the subject that is being talked about, I strongly recommend you leave this topic well alone and enjoy your free time in other topics, or other areas of the site. You don’t really want to waste your leisure time reading about fighting and destruction, egos and accusations.

Despite my personal feelings, I’m trying not to take sides.

My aim, as I have indicated before, was to see if I could try to turn this thing around and try to get the community working together a bit more.

Please note none of the following is aimed at any particular individual. Each person reading this needs to consider if it may apply to them...
Yes people have said nasty things. People have done nasty things. Nothing can erase the history. Nothing can undo the bitterness that has happened. But the only way for the community to come together, is for the fighting (for want of a more suitable word) to stop. If the fighting was to stop, if the people involved were to step back and put their emotions aside, if they were to think about where this is going. Maybe, just maybe they would see that all that they are achieving is damage. Some of them are damaging their own interests and maybe their own dreams. Others are using this as a method, a channel to to put in public their frustrations, their disappointment, and maybe their anger (possibly from some long standing issues in the past). Whatever, the result at the moment is a large split and continuing damage to the whole scene. If left unchecked, the fractures will continue. This has happened elsewhere and the result is that parts of the scene, parts of the community will end up dying back and shrinking as they become less popular. The bad vibes however may infect other areas as well. Is this really what people want?

Sharing is good, helping one another is good. Fighting over intangible things like who used who’s data, or who’s copied who’s data when the vast majority is user supplied content or copyright material from long abandoned products is not good. Fighting over who is right and who is wrong isn’t getting us anywhere good.

It not my job to tell anyone here what to do. I just make suggestions. At the end of the day, it is up to every individual to make their own choices in life. I’m not religious (in fact I’m an atheist) but one thing the Church has got right, is that there are times when each individual should look back and think about what they have said and what they have done. What was your motive? Have your actions been for the greater good, or just for short term personal gain, or to make you feel better? If it was for personal gain or because at the time it made you feel better, just maybe you can start the ball rolling by forgiving past actions (regardless of the reasons, regardless of the rights and wrongs) and apologise to others for your comments and actions.

And just in case my earlier comments got missed, I will repeat myself: this is NOT about me taking sides, I am not backing or defending anyone. This post is NOT aimed at any particular individual. If you think it applies to you, do consider what you have done and then think about what you can now do. If you don’t think it applies to you, think to yourself why do you think that. Would other people who have not had any involvement in this reach the same conclusion?

Please note: the bulk of the text above has also been posted in the Spectrum Computing forums.

Mark
Post edited by 1024MAK on

Comments

• I only do WOS, so I've missed this. It sounds nasty and I'm shocked but not surprise. Most people feel the need to say things they probably wouldn't say face to face, that is the 'power' of the internet.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • "update your behaviour" so to say.
    I turned into a grumby guy, true. i got loads of stupid remarks not even adressed at my software but at myself. that makes grumby and then others are 'touched' by my grumbyness..a bit its a biljard-ball effect, which is worse then that well known domino-effect.
    like if i dont "snatch back" then the remarks will stay comin, so i do 'some back' to make others stepdown a bit. thats not the good way so last time i put down a PM with "stop pestering ....." with a name

in dutch we say "waar 2 kijven hebben er 2 schuld" meaning both sides(or even more then 2 sides) should reconcider their own actions.
    as a little extra remark, people who comment on people and NOT EVEN have some software or ideas about to SHARE, what do you WANT from people and from wos?

my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • edited July 6
    in 50 years most of us will be dead, no one will care about the minutia of who was responsible for what, or who had the most influence. The curators are never/rarely mentioned in the history books. What future generations will care about is the legacy which we leave the next generation, what we have managed to document and save about this important chapter that occurred during the emergence of the computer age, not who won at performing this task.

Post edited by Scottie_uk on
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • To err is human, to forgive divine

Or to put it another way - given the choice between self righteous whiners and rude boys, I'll take the rude boys every time.

Lee and Rich get my support regardless of who said or did what to whom (see first line)
  • Scottie_uk wrote: »
    in 50 years most of us will be dead, no one will care about the minutia of who was responsible for what, or who had the most influence. The curators are never/rarely mentioned in the history books. What they will care about is the legacy which we leave the next generation, what he have managed to document and save about this important chapter that occurred during the emergence of the computer age.

I totally agree, and well put by the way, but whilst we still have our mortal coils on this planet then the here and now is as equally important. Eventually this will be a minor footnote but at the moment it isn't, and it's a shame it's come to this.

Kudos for someone finally of WoS Admin, past or present, finally breaking the silence. To heal this it's going to need all sides to start talking as ignoring is not helping matters.
  • mik3d3nch wrote: »
    Lee and Rich get my support regardless of who said or did what to whom (see first line)

Lee should be commended for taking over Wos and trying to maintain it.

However, I can't throw my support behind people making false allegations against Einar who has posted evidence proving he has not stolen from Wos.

Rather than engage with him, they ignore him and then regurgitate these false claims a few months down the line.

So if Rich and Lee get your support regardless that's great, but they don't get mine.
  • edited July 7
    Having once run my own bulletin board, I know what a thankless task it can be. I don't think that it's polite to use a site (that someone is running for our benefit) to whine and complain about either the site or the persons maintaining it. By all means direct your dissatisfaction via private messages or email but throwing childish tantrums in public view is offensive and counter productive.

I don't have a dog in this race, in truth one could argue that I really don't belong here since I'm neither a programmer (not for want of trying!) nor a games player. Other sites in support of the Spectrum don't allow much if any off topic posts so I'm particularly grateful to both Lee and Rich and any other mods whose ID's I'm unaware of, not to mention some of the other users, for allowing me to participate.

Let me make this quite plain. I'm 73 or will be on Friday and one unfortunate fact of aging is that ones friends and acquaintances have this unfortunate tendency to croak and its damned hard to make new friends. So finding a site that discusses a topic with which I'm slightly familiar and definitely interested in, is even more of a plus especially since being an ex-pat I am happier to share experiences and observations with my fellow Brits as well as any other people.

Since the self styled purist elite have S.C to inhabit and bask in the warm glow of self satisfaction, it would seem to me that they'd be better off roasting their perceived foes over there, rather than here.

That's all. MIKE.

P.S. - Like I said, I bear no ill will towards anyone and find the bickering both amusing and slightly irritating
    Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • What I would -hate- to see is a situation where software was not sanely stored/catalogued at least (for forbidden stuff, at least its listed so you can read about it if nothing else) , unlike some other platforms where software is scattered across a few sites, with shedloads of MIA things and lots that have been long forgotten about.

I do when browsing these other sites which will remain nameless, stop and think how lucky the ZX scene really is in terms of software, in that you get untouched original files as I say elsewhere its either awol / unheard of / only 'cracked/trained' available etc etc in some cases.

• edited July 7
    mik3d3nch wrote: »
    I don't have a dog in this race, in truth one could argue that I really don't belong here since I'm neither a programmer (not for want of trying!) nor a games player. Other sites in support of the Spectrum don't allow much if any off topic posts so I'm particularly grateful to both Lee and Rich and any other mods whose ID's I'm unaware of, not to mention some of the other users, for allowing me to participate.

one unfortunate fact of aging is that ones friends and acquaintances have this unfortunate tendency to croak and its damned hard to make new friends. So finding a site that discusses a topic with which I'm slightly familiar and definitely interested in, is even more of a plus especially since being an ex-pat I am happier to share experiences and observations with my fellow Brits as well as any other people.

Forgive the snipping of your post Mike but from one dinosaur to another I share your sentiments,especially the second paragraph.
    I am the last of a gang of seven who once enjoyed each others company sharing both joy and sadness,one by one they have now passed and like yourself I find sites such this one are a boon for the likes of us and I do find the technical sections fascinating to read even if a lot of it is above my head!

Happy birthday by the way you old bugger! :))
    Post edited by moggy on
  • Thanks Moggy, you're a voice of sanity and I'm very happy to have 'met' you here.
  • Like wise Mike.
  • moggy wrote: »
    mik3d3nch wrote: »

one unfortunate fact of aging is that ones friends and acquaintances have this unfortunate tendency to croak and its damned hard to make new friends. So finding a site that discusses a topic with which I'm slightly familiar and definitely interested in, is even more of a plus especially since being an ex-pat I am happier to share experiences and observations with my fellow Brits as well as any other people.

Forgive the snipping of your post Mike but from one dinosaur to another I share your sentiments,especially the second paragraph.
    I am the last of a gang of seven who once enjoyed each others company sharing both joy and sadness,one by one they have now passed and like yourself I find sites such this one are a boon for the likes of us and I do find the technical sections fascinating to read even if a lot of it is above my head!

Happy birthday by the way you old bugger! :))

Great. I'm running a frigging care home. :P
    My test signature
  • Yes and for two days running you have forgotten that I like my toast done on one side only,my mattress is too soft and....ZZZZZZ.
  • Seems like the bad behaviour is on one side...
  • Great. I'm running a frigging care home. :P

Of grumpy old men....
    WOS is not a happy place anymore....