Technically terrible games you like

Highrise Harry by Blaby is technically awful. It's got tiny UDG graphics, no animation, rubbish jump mechanism, dodgy collision detection, poor keyboard response and an auto-start. It's probably compiled basic too.
And yet, despite all of the above, I actually enjoy playing this game and find it addictive. Part of playing Speccy games is happily overlooking flaws, but the above game goes beyond even that. Which is your favourite terrible Speccy game?

Comments

• Not sure if these quality as technically awful, but High Noon and CDS Pool come to mind.
  • I must admit I have a soft spot for LA Swat. There's absolutely no redeeming feature there to speak of, yet I enjoy it like one of those cheap and trashy movies you watch only to laugh your ass off.
  • Transformers.

I mean it is TERRIBLE in pretty much all aspects but I used to enjoy playing it nonetheless.

It's a game that isn't far from being tolerable. If they gave it a proper ending and let you define your keys, then it'd be a lot better. There isn't much that can be done about those tiny graphics I guess or awful colour clash. In fact I'm going to play it right now and find out how much of an idiot I am.

EDIT: right, just had a quick play.

The controls are awful both in key choices and a weird lagginess, the game area is tiny, the collision detection is off, the map design is a bit hostile, colour clash is a problem.

I might get back into this!
  • I also have a soft spot for Highrise Harry, as well as Gotcha and Guido, both by Blaby as well.

Supergran by Tynesoft is another one that I do enjoy playing for some inexplicable reason.
  • I'm not sure whether it is entirely right to call Ground Attack and Orbiter by Silversoft crap, but I do enjoy those.

Abyss by CCS is marvellous.
  • I must admit I have a soft spot for LA Swat. There's absolutely no redeeming feature there to speak of, yet I enjoy it like one of those cheap and trashy movies you watch only to laugh your ass off.

ewgf once wrote a fairly lengthy letter to Crash magazine where he was harping on about that game ...
  • Everything he seemed to write was lengthy. Never seemed to answer with a simple yes or no.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • The Antagonists is a black-letters-on-white-paper, pure text adventure, with minimal text, and not in English either.

Technically it's just a nightmare.

However, if you have the accompanying book, the game becomes a nice little gem. >:)
    (You'd still need to be able to read dutch first, though.)
  • Star Trader

The graphics are bad, the trading system is simple, the random events in the towns are too frequent and extremely unfair, and even if you buy a load of ammo and weapons for your ship the space battles are practically unplayable if you decide to manually defend your cargo, probably resulting in game over, or mutiny from about half your crew. It’s a nice attempt, but really in a nutshell it’s crap.

Yet the game has a certain charm about it that keeps me coming back roughly 35 years after I bought the tape of it...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Maybe the charm is on the crude pictures of the people you meet.

Yesterday I found an old thread about "your most hated games" in which I'd nominated Star Trader as top of the tree - and though I couldn't stand it when I was a nipper, not really understanding the general idea of buying low and selling high, or indeed why they prices would rise and fall as they did, I revised my opinion slightly to the point where I considered trying to make an RZX of it.

However, my usual tactics of waiting until the price of one of the commodities had gone through the roof never quite worked, because it was inevitably something that the people of that planet needed RIGHT NOW and I was stuck outside the spaceport because YOU ARE HUNGRY, and I'd have to spend a couple of days eating sandwiches and drinking beer in the pub, eating into my profits, and spending the night on a park bench where I might get mugged, and then I'd get into the spaceport to find that the people on the planet I was heading towards were all dead.

Another trading game I'd consider having a crack at RZXing would be Planetfall, but it contains a game-breaking error every time something goes wrong on one of the planets (followed by a financial report for year -9000 or there abouts, and an error report). It's a BASIC game, though, so it should just be a case of unravelling the listing to see where the one errant GOTO or GOSUB should be going to, as opposed to where it does go to, correcting it, and seeing if that works...
  • NEXUS - a confusing spy game (i think). The graphics are terrible and flickery and the plot doesn't really make any sense and people behave irrationally but i find it interesting. It's very obscure and not very well known, possibly too advanced for the time.
  • edited July 29
    zx1 wrote: »
    NEXUS - possibly too advanced for the time.
    It’s quite nice on C64. Maybe it was just a lazy port?
    Post edited by arttu on
  • Another trading game I'd consider having a crack at RZXing would be Planetfall, but it contains a game-breaking error every time something goes wrong on one of the planets (followed by a financial report for year -9000 or there abouts, and an error report). It's a BASIC game, though, so it should just be a case of unravelling the listing to see where the one errant GOTO or GOSUB should be going to, as opposed to where it does go to, correcting it, and seeing if that works...
    I'm learning BASIC at the moment so this would probably be a good project for me. I'll have a crack after my latest lockdown project is done.
  • I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...

• Oh jeez that does look like a bunch of arse :))

But keeping with the theme I quite liked that Cricket game YS gave away, and that was a bit dodgy as well. But I played it quite a lot.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • The Flying Formula. Like the game for the in-air combat. Enemy fighter planes that move around well and randomly firing bullets at you, as they do kamikaze dives you must avoid. But I think the game could of been better if it had a scrolling and detailed background. Like large scrolling clouds to give the enemy planes some stealth and hide behind while they fire a shower of bullets at you, would certainly make it more challenging. To be fair it was a freebie with ZX Computing monthly though, so can't expect full-price, big label game quality.

Another game and should be on every Spec-chums list is Thru The Wall! :D

But keeping with the theme I quite liked that Cricket game YS gave away, and that was a bit dodgy as well. But I played it quite a lot.

I put plenty of hours Into the YS game.

Yeah, it was pretty poor but strangely addictive. And just like real life Australia always used to win.

I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • There was a terrible cricket game from Tynesoft called something like Ian Botham's test cricket - it's beyond crap :))
  • zx1 wrote: »
    There was a terrible cricket game from Tynesoft called something like Ian Botham's test cricket - it's beyond crap :))
    https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/games/ian-bothams-test-match-tynesoft

I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • I got it free with my +2, played it once then never again, not into cricket anyway.
  • Cricket’s a weird one for me I can’t stand watching it, but I used to really enjoy actually playing it. One of the few team sports I did like playing.

• I spent hours working out the way the rnd engine worked and tweaking it to try and make it more realistic - as it was programmed, a #5 batsman on 150 was as likely to be out next ball as a #11 facing his first ball, as it factored in weariness but not playing yourself in, and assumed a steady decline in prowess as you went down the order, even among the top order batsmen. Ah, the fun we had in those days...
  • zx1 wrote: »
    There was a terrible cricket game from Tynesoft

Well, weren't all their games quite terrible? Whenever I loaded (from a tape-to-taped ... tape) a "new" game I didn't know anything about and saw it was by Tynesoft, I knew it was gonna be a bit naff. Boozey must be proud of them!

;;)
  • Funny thing is Tynesoft’s office was in a Blaydon, how much more “Geordie” could you possibly get...and no I’m not particularly proud of them at all. Funny they originally started off wanting to make educational programs. Probably all too pissed to write something that serious. After tripping over all the empty brown ale bottles on the way to the C64 the main programmer probably said sod it here’s a Speccy aal just use it to write a few shite games to keep us in kebab money til’ the cleaner shifts aal them borrels oot the way....But the cleaner never came...

• Good call! Played that loads and one of the only games my dad agreed to play BITD. Some of the dodgy run-outs used to annoy me but it’s one of those games that pulled me in to keep playing.

If I recall there’s a bug that if you scored a run on the last ball of the first over of an innings it still counts as a maiden?

That YS covertape game was also pretty addictive, but only if you were batting. If I lost the toss and went in to bowl I’d load it in again.

Post edited by Maroc's Other Projection on
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Realm Of Impossibility. It had tiny, badly drawn and flickery sprites, as well as garish coloured backgrounds but I found it one of the most addictive games that I have played.
  • Striker. The one were you take the role of a football player and (depending on your skill level)may get a chance of a shot on goal, which is basically pressing a key to select an angle for your shot. Some games you could go a full 90 minutes and get no attempts. Each goal you scored put your skill level up (meaning you got more chances of scoring and the chance of progressing to a better team) each you missed went the opposite way.

Very basic graphics and sound and virtually nothing to do other than press the key to shoot, but incredibly addictive.

• Haha! I remember that game, i wasted two quid on that back in the day, only played it a few times then forgot about it. It was rubbish. Think it was written in BASIC like many of Cult's titles.
  • edited August 9
    Realm Of Impossibility.
    Realm Of Impossibility is really good fun despite the bad graphics. Haven’t really played it on Speccy, but it doesn’t look good on any platform.

Post edited by arttu on