Interesting TV show titles

Watch the first few seconds to this American kids' show and you may see a very familiar sight in the background…!

Comments

• edited July 31
    "...forgive them, for they do not know what they do..." :|

Things have a changed a lot, when I was a kid, Disney was all about reading comics of the adventures of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, etc but it seems nowadays it's more important to watch these (un)real life characters' hair and beauty salon flicks. :-&
    Post edited by Renegade on
  • Renegade wrote: »
    when I was a kid, Disney was all about reading comics of the adventures of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, etc but it seems nowadays it's more important to watch these (un)real life characters' hair and beauty salon flicks. :-&

Well, each to his own.

Personally I love what Disney produce. They still do the cartoons, but they've also been doing sitcoms for ages now (Boy Meets World was one of the first). Sure, they're cheesy, formulaic and unrealistic (some being worse than others), but I like them because they've wholesome and inoffensive—rather like the Spectrum.

In contrast, I have no tolerance for dark 21st centurty adult drama. Tastes have changed radically over the last three decades and I'm not on board with it. I couldn't name one modern show I like (apart from Life on Mars, which was set in the 1970s when society was still decent). The only stuff I watch any more is 20th century shows and kids' shows!
  • I disagree with 'wholesome', I feel these shows are just as damaging as dark / violent dramas. The characters tend to be selfish, shallow, all about looks and think the whole world is just their town. I think it gives the wrong message to the kids watching. All my thirteen year old watches is that Victorious and doesn't seem to vary her input. When I grew up I watched different programmes so my life wasn't all about Tucker and his mates, it involved Blue Peter (various things kids are doing around the country, how different things abroad are, latest sports), Newsround (a bit of realism), cartoons (Disney have still got that bit right, gives a bit of relief from the realism). Art programmes, quizes. I can go on. I grew up knowing kids were sometimes nice sometimes a pain in the arse. I knew the world wasn't just my town but varied around the world and more importantly I knew the western world we well off and other countries had nothing / starved / died in wars.

Oops sorry that turned into a rant from a single opinion. ;)
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • My apologies too.
    It's just that when I watched the video looking for the stripes in the background the rest was so striking I couldn't help myself and had to let it out.
    Anyway, who knows were they got the inspiration for adding the effect, maybe someone is familiar with the spectrum and thought it was adequate for the show intro.
    Although I find it a bit psychedelic show in full screen like that.
  • edited July 31
    Luny wrote: »
    I feel these shows are just as damaging as dark / violent dramas. The characters tend to be selfish, shallow, all about looks and think the whole world is just their town. I think it gives the wrong message to the kids watching. All my thirteen year old watches is that Victorious and doesn't seem to vary her input.

Well to be fair, these shows are purely about entertainment and escapism. I mean, I didn't watch Inspector Gadget and Transformers to learn about people dying in the third world!

But I do know what you mean. I like some more than others. I don't like Victorious (for the record, that's Nickelodeon, not Disney). I have no problem with the focus on 'looks'—it may seem superficial to grown men, but it's completely normal for young girls to obsess over beauty and fashion.

What bothers me really is that a lot of the newer ones shift away from 'family values' and don't have many adults in them, which I find a bit weird and imbalanced. Some of the shows promote the idea of kids running amuck, and being in charge of their own destiny, without any consequences or deference to adults. And that's definitely not good—slightly subversive. I prefer family shows, where parents actually discipline the children.

Nevertheless, all these kind of sitcoms are perfectly inoffensive to me. These are happy, pure, optimistic worlds, where characters are 'good' and there's no real 'evil'. There's also usually some moral value (even if it's hackneyed and obvious). And generally these shows have a beautiful, wholesome visual style with lots of light and colour. Nothing dark and gritty, or too heavy. That is to my taste! :-)

(Same reason I like old Star Trek but not new Star Trek!)
    Post edited by Lee Bee on
  • edited August 1
    Disney are poison simple as that, they buy up pretty much everything that people like such as Marvel, Star Wars, etc...and then try to push out a political agenda through their shallow products using these intellectual properties, that they think will appease every single SJW, and pressure group out there.

Which would be fine if they weren't taking a massive amount of Chinese money, and also pandering to Chinese censorship.

Prime example Star Wars, pushes as much fake LGBTQ+, and forced diversity crap into the new trilogy thus saving the world from all phobias, and racism.......But in China John Boyega's image on the poster was shrunk to the size of a postage stamp, and he was put behind all the other characters.....Hmmm Racist much? Yes I think so....But they're racists that pay billions of dollars....Hello Disney blind eye much?

It's all bullshit!

When it all goes wrong they backtrack and try to apologise to all the "fans" they lost in the first place, whilst trying to pander to the 6 people who were offended by something they made in the past.

Sad thing is the fans they try to apologise to were never their fans in the first place, they were fans of something that was made by someone else years before they bought the IP....

Disney should have stuck to making childrens cartoons with dicks hidden in the background

RANT OVER!

Oh but that show in the clip is also the type of crap that's been on TV for about the last 25 years, and literally is the type of shite that's responsible for the majority of young American kids putting on that fake "Dude? Like really?" type attitude......the type of stuff the people they're pandering to are against...It's pretty pathetic :))
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Ye gods! Yuck! That Disney stuff you show? What the hell happened? God knows Uncle Walt was no saint but at least the stuff they put out under his fief was reasonably balanced though frankly I thought the Mickey Mouse cartoon legacy was naff and not a patch on Warner Bros and the other. My personal favourite was Popeye but thats before your time.

My kids almost never watched TV they did kid things like ride bikes, climb trees, play cowboys, go exploring often we played together. As they grew older they still didnt watch much TV and generally speaking TV was a family affair. My sons watched Star Trek and Dr Who with me and my daughter watched Ab Fab with mum and dad, the boys didnt get it.

This horrible plastic fake **** that Disney show seems to promote would turn my kids and my grandkids right off!
  • Lee Bee wrote: »
    Well to be fair, these shows are purely about entertainment and escapism. I mean, I didn't watch Inspector Gadget and Transformers to learn about people dying in the third world!

Did you watch that episode where Gadget went it Ethiopia and fought the evil Warlord whilst feeding the children with his rations pipe.... But to be fair it was balanced, you watched a few escapism cartoons and then something like Blue Peter / Magpie and learn about stuff. The same channel would throw in different types of programmes.
    Lee Bee wrote: »
    But I do know what you mean. I like some more than others. I don't like Victorious (for the record, that's Nickelodeon, not Disney). I have no problem with the focus on 'looks'—it may seem superficial to grown men, but it's completely normal for young girls to obsess over beauty and fashion.

MY bad, I assumed it was Disney because of the style. It's an easy mistake to make with US tv, as they are sooooo formulated. But I do find myself watching bits of it over the kids shoulder.. I'm a big fan of TV production and even the 'bad' ones [to me] are fascinating. I like to spot the obvious direction that matches all the other series.
    What bothers me really is that a lot of the newer ones shift away from 'family values' and don't have many adults in them, which I find a bit weird and imbalanced. Some of the shows promote the idea of kids running amuck, and being in charge of their own destiny, without any consequences or deference to adults. And that's definitely not good—slightly subversive. I prefer family shows, where parents actually discipline the children.

I'm with you on this one. Although I'm sure there are a few 70s shows where the kids did their own thing and never seem to get caught.
    Nevertheless, all these kind of sitcoms are perfectly inoffensive to me. These are happy, pure, optimistic worlds, where characters are 'good' and there's no real 'evil'. There's also usually some moral value (even if it's hackneyed and obvious). And generally these shows have a beautiful, wholesome visual style with lots of light and colour. Nothing dark and gritty, or too heavy. That is to my taste! :-)

Good for you, I'd never try and stop people watching what they like.
    (Same reason I like old Star Trek but not new Star Trek!)

I agree, DS9 onwards just lost it all. DS9 had some nice ideas and I do like a bit of gritty sci-fi, but Voyager just became waffle, Enterprise was just pants and Discovery was disappointed, but I did like Picard even though some of the contuinity u-turns anoid me. ;)

• I think DS9 was the best of the lot by a wide margin. Voyager was pathetic, they stopped even pretending to be sci-fi, I'll never forgive that ridiculous hologram episode where they doubled the size of the ship!
  • I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when it comes to Star Trek I’m one of 4.5 people in the world who can proudly say I thought Enterprise was good :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Oh no you're not alone Boozy! I forgot to add that I put Enterprise as second only to DS9. Excellent basis for a continuous story line to return to and then the finale which was excellent. I wanted them to find a way to enter fluidic space and kick the asses of those interfering witches! I liked that fluidic space idea so much I swiped it for my ongoing sci fi story serialised on my website
  • I think the biggest problem with disney is that they can't write good stories any more.
    I watched that star wars movie (I think it's #8) and it has nice effects but the story was like, let's do a boring sidetrack of an hour that does not have any influence to the rest of the story.
    So much budget and they can't spend a cent on story writing, it's sad. Instead they're just remaking old movies.

As for those disney sitcoms, I guess it's nice if you like to watch stories about 'role models' being intolerant and doing stupid things instead of just acknowledging that they have health issues and should go visit a doctor.
    (Or perhaps it's because their health system is so expensive that they have to make these kinds of shows instead.) 8->
  • Gosh, I made this thread as a bit of fun but it's got awfully serious! (Boozefreek, I'm looking at you!)

Disney is a very large corporation, employing countless different production teams, and people of many different political persuasions. In fact, you might say Disney covers both ends of the spectrum…

The kids' shows haven't really changed much in decades, and there's a down-to-earth, conservative-minded core behind them, with very little trace of the intolerable radical liberal agenda.

The movies, on the other hand, have become dreadful, and a beacon for all that is wrong with the 21st century, and another good franchise destroyed!

I did watch the first one (Force Awakens) and was appalled. Apparently they got even worse, so I'm glad I stopped there!

Quickly, my opinion of Star Trek is that I love all 4 series, including Voyager. I didn't like Enterprise (sorry) and don't see it as real Trek. And the new series, I consider utterly disgraceful, as would Gene Roddenberry!
  • edited August 2
    [Double post and no way to delete]
  • Yeah sorry I may have gone in all guns blazing, but Disney is one of the few things in life I may be able to safely say that I actually hate....I've never liked them, even as a child I found their stuff weird, creepy, or just partially embarrassing to watch. As the years have gone by enough has been uncovered about them to prove my suspicions weren't so wrong afterall. I was one of the few kids who really did not want to got to Disneyworld, or Disneyland or whatever....I did go recently, but that was with my nephew who was 2 at the time and loved every second of it. Had he not have been around I'd never have ever gone near the place. My bank balance would've really thanked me for that.

As for Enterprise I wouldn't go as far as to not call it "Real" Star Trek, it's every bit as real as any other spin off, if anything's not real it's Voyager I absolutely hated that show. DS9 was watchable, and was aired at a time when there was pretty much nothing else decent to watch on TV, so I watched it because it was on not cos' I thought it was great. The original Trek is my fave though, but I'm not strictly a trekkie, or infact not at all really.
  • I'm glad you boys enjoyed Enterprise, very please for you. But it was shite, it f**cked up the whole continouity and inject stuff where ever they want with disregard to the holy series... :) Hated it.... And a sexy Vulcan... Come on, she was there just as a w**k fest... pure and simple.
  • edited August 2
    Others are welcome to their opinions but the reason I don't consider Enterprise 'real' Trek is because for me there are a number of key factors to the Star Trek universe which I love, which make Trek what it is, and Enterprise lacks some of those - particularly visual beauty and a world where the human race is a morally enlightened one, with no "sin". For me, Enterprise is too ugly and just too "close to home".

The Enterprise is supposed to be a place of fantasy and frolics, somewhere you would love to live yourself - not an industrial-looking workplace!

Oh and I don't recall seeing any sexy Vulcans? All I recall is feeling like I wanted to puke every time T'Pol came on screen. :D I hated that character so much. The only characters I liked at all were Archer, Trip and Hoshi. Especially Hoshi. Especially when she had her hair down!
  • In defence of Voyager, it's the show that got me back to Star Trek after the awful Next Generation. I retrospectively watched DS9 after that and liked it. Enterprise is the only other one of the shows I've bailed on, but T'Pol is surely one of the redeeming features of it. We watched Picard, but it wasn't up to much, Discovery was on the whole a lot better (though the Klingons look terrible, especially in season 1).
  • I like Voyager. It was badly cast, and most of the actors look fed up most of the time. But it has a great captain, is very true to the Star Trek ethos, and sets just the right tone for me.
  • edited August 2
    I like Voyager. It was badly cast, and most of the actors look fed up most of the time. But it has a great captain, is very true to the Star Trek ethos, and sets just the right tone for me.

My personal issue with Voyager was the stories. The techno babble just made my ears bleed, the plots were somewhat lacking, give or take the odd episode. But the whol thing suffered from what most TV of the era and now.. and thats spending most of the story on character building and throwing in a last minute plot. US tv is terrible for this and has got worst in the laster few years. And as usual we are following.

I love your reaction to T-Pol Lee Bee. I should have put 'sexy' in quotes. It **** me off the way she strutted around with that walk they do on the catwalk. She was not 'Vulcan' at all. :))
    Post edited by Luny on
  • I find your analysis illogical...
  • I'd give her a good Vulcan.
  • Lee Bee wrote: »
    I did watch the first one (Force Awakens) and was appalled. Apparently they got even worse, so I'm glad I stopped there!

No apparently about it, TFA is a masterpiece compared to the utter drivel of the next two movies. The Last Jedi isn't a bad Star Wars movie, it's a terrible movie period. It's right up (down?) there with Beverley Hills Cop 3 as a travesty of movie making that the entirety should have been left on the cutting room floor. The final movie, although slightly better, is still awful.
  • The number 1 thing that put me off T'Pol was the hair! In fact, girls' hair on Star Trek was absolutely dreadful across the board IMHO…

Dreadful hair in Star Trek…

Troi = Her quiff got bigger and bigger, as her character became more bitchy
    Crusher = An array of horrible, scruffy wigs
    Dax, Kassidy, Seven, Hoshi = Hair always pinned back in an unflattering style
    Kes, T'Pol = Little boy hair
    Tasha Yar, Kira = Dyke hair + hair dye
    Leeta = Ugly hair dye and too short
    Janeway, Guinan = (Not supposed to be pretty!)
    B'Elanna = Anyone who finds that attractive has problems (Tom Paris, you sicko!)

I wouldn't give any of them "a good Vulcan"! LOL

IMHO, the only half-decent hair in Star Trek was:
    Early Troi = Young Troi was pretty, especially season 1 with the bun :-)
    Ensign Ro = Not bad hair overall
    Keiko = Occasionally had a fringe and looked really hot
    Plus a whole bunch of girls from TOS.
    Vampyre wrote: »
    No apparently about it, TFA is a masterpiece compared to the utter drivel of the next two movies. The Last Jedi isn't a bad Star Wars movie, it's a terrible movie period. It's right up (down?) there with Beverley Hills Cop 3 as a travesty of movie making that the entirety should have been left on the cutting room floor. The final movie, although slightly better, is still awful.

It's great that Star Wars continues to unite fans. It used to be that we were united by our love of Star Wars. Now we're all united by our hatred of it! :-) LOL
  • Hair? WTF are you another Mr Teasy Weasy? GRIN! No offence meant mate but really...hair? Let's stick with the more down to earth pass/fails like tits for example!
  • Doesn't help my credibility that my avatar is pink :\">