Are people really so stupid?

In the North-West there is a small lock-restriction thing going on.

202084_16222.png

So, I am in Pendle.
I went to the store 20 mins ago, because Woody suggested it ( :D )

There were about 15 people in the store. Yet, 2 (or possibly 3, I cannot remember) actually had a mask on (3 or 4 including me).

Are people really that ignorant, or is the government making a mess of informing people? I commented to a few of them regarding them being idiots (ermm, maybe a little stronger), yet all I received was "F***off" and a warning from the staff not to say anything!

I've complained a couple of times to stores about letting people in without masks and they all state that they have been told not to stop anyone without a mask.

Maybe the stores should get bouncers (door men) that refuse entry to people who do not wear a mask while wanting access..

Yes, yes, I know the number of infections etc., are pretty low on average, but as we get towards the end of the year it may/can get a lot worse.
So far, so meh :)

Comments

• They probably all were from Nelson or Brierfield.
  • I know Walmart are no longer trying to enforce masks, basically because one of the people who greets you at the door refused someone entry because he wasn’t wearing a mask. When he offered the guy a mask he refused to wear one, so the guy told him he couldn’t come in. The customer stabbed the guy...

My place offers people not wearing a mask a mask, but for safety reasons we’ve been told we can’t force somebody to wear one and we can’t refuse them entry if they won’t take one of our masks.

There’s still a lot of stubborn arseholes who claim that wearing masks infringes on their rights, and freedom. After all who needs responsibility when you can hide behind the constitution? :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited August 4
    In the U.K. the police are the only ones who can enforce the rules. A lot of store staff have actually been instructed by their employers not to be confrontational with shoppers. Precisely because they don’t want any trouble. It’s the same with railway staff.

And I can’t say I blame them.

This and many other reasons is why I don’t think masks are going to do much to have much effect. And a lot of people just can’t help themselves, they can’t keep two metres away from other people.

If everyone had been fully obeying the rules during lockdown, the virus should have died out. But it hasn’t :-(

More interaction, and the virus can spread, find new hosts, breed and continue to infect yet more people...

Mark

Post edited by 1024MAK on
  • My aunt in Penzance told me about a shopkeeper friend there who complained when someone from the Leicester area walked in without a mask. The shopkeeper said "we expect our customers to wear masks for the protection of everyone". The shopper replied "Ugh ! I came here to get away from all that!"

Yes people really are that stupid
  • - Give me liberty or give me death!
    - Wait... why can't we get both?
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • edited August 4
    +++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR +++

Yes..it cant do no harm for the meantime.
    Post edited by Ælita on
    On those afternoons in utopia..
  • Ælita wrote: »
    +++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR +++

Yes..it cant do no harm for the meantime.

You're a big Terry Pratchett fan, aren't you? I recognize that line it's from Hex, Ponder Stibbon's thinking engine in the High Energy Magic building
  • I answered yes without even reading the 1st post...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited August 4
    My local chippy has a sign in the window which is all nice and polite which says "we would appreciate if you would wear a mask etc etc.." and guess what? Hardly any of the gormless bastards who come in has the whit of imagination or understanding to comply.

From my own personal perspective I'm too far down the road to worry about what may be and will take fate as it comes re my own welfare, but what I also truly and honestly believe is that I do not have the right to put some other bugger at risk should I not knowingly have the virus hence I wear gloves and mask when needed.

From what I've witnessed so far it seems that either some folk are just ignorant of the possible consequences or just monumentally thick.
    Post edited by moggy on
  • It all boils down to the “It’ll never happen to me” attitude, then of course the ignorant twonks get sick and want to sue somebody for not protecting THEM...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I've worn a mask when in any public building for the last 4 months.

I'm assuming those who choose not to aren't aware of the Darwin awards.
  • ZupZup
    edited August 5
    I've worn a mask when in any public building for the last 4 months.

I'm assuming those who choose not to aren't aware of the Darwin awards.
    But most masks only avoids that the droplets expelled while you talk reach other people. So the worst part is that you're avoiding that other people get ill, while non-masked guys will still be dangerous for you.

(Talking about standard masks, not medical grade stuff. Also, remember that even medical masks have a lifespan before they become useless.)
    Post edited by Zup on
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • Yes, people really are that stupid. Recently, as in yesterday, had to unfriend someone on ArseBook that I've known since I was twelve years old as the idiocy he's been posting was really starting to **** me off and it's quite frankly dangerous. It was amusing for the first few years as he's obviously one of these New Age morons who was relatively harmless with his living his life entirely by his horrorscope. Then he started pushing his agenda about alternative medicines, which was fine at first but eventually became an attack on traditional medicines in preference to crap like essential oils etc.

But in the last year it's started getting even more sinister. Pushing anti-vaxxing on parents he knows (this is a single, childless gay man BTW who will almost certainly never be a parent (one of those with a hectic love life - falls in love every other month kind of thing)) and telling them that they're putting their child in danger. Posting absolutely bullshit articles on things like MMR causing autism which we now know was a crock of crap. Didn't stop him though.

But the final nail in the coffin was his rallying call to imitate the Berlin "mask slaves" protest and how it was such a wonderful thing. That these morons have put so many in danger didn't matter to him as essential oils would protect everyone.

I know all that makes him sound a bit of a Cornishdavey type lunatic but this is a high-functioning business man - not that means anything I suppose - but other than all this he comes across as a normal guy. It's scary to think that he's actually influencing people.

And for that reason - I was out.
  • This is true, which is why I find it so surprising that many just don't bother.
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    In the U.K. the police are the only ones who can enforce the rules.

This is such a cop out. They might not be able to physically remove people but once the word got out that establishments were refusing to serve people they wouldn't need to.

My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • guesser wrote: »
    1024MAK wrote: »

This is such a cop out. They might not be able to physically remove people but once the word got out that establishments were refusing to serve people they wouldn't need to.
    My son works in a supermarket and he's been told he's not allowed to challenge anyone for not wearing a mask.

Makes the whole thing a bit pointless really. It's not like you've got police walking around shops checking that everyone is wearing a mask.

Week 1 - 2 or 3 people won't wear masks.
    Week 2 - 7 or 8 people won't wear masks.
    Week 3 - 19 or 20 people won't wear masks.

And so on.

• mik3d3nch wrote: »
    You're a big Terry Pratchett fan, aren't you? I recognize that line it's from Hex, Ponder Stibbon's thinking engine in the High Energy Magic building

Yes! But don't forget PEX! Brazeneck's rival supercomputer powered by a chicken!
  • On a different related unrelated but related note..

Italian lady in Italian parliament lays down some heavy words or warning.

• I unfriended a relative recently on FB as they kept posting all this bullshit and lies about the virus and also racist stuff. I told them i can't control what they post but didn't want to see it on my feed so i removed them and we haven't spoken since.
    I recently went out and called a taxi but in the rush i forgot my mask, i apologised to the taxi driver and offered to use a hankie across my face but he said he didn't care. I still felt like a criminal.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited August 5
    I'd imagine these people who are ignoring the facemask rules will be the first ones to complain if/when we are put in a winter lockdown and can't visit any relatives over Christmas.
    Post edited by Nick on
  • I've been getting a grumpy sod lately and not wanting to go out shopping, pubs etc. Fed up with just generally the way we have to live our lives these days. Maybe why some folk are flaunting the rules.
  • edited August 5
    I found out just how selfish many US citizens are. Not just I want all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer the shop has selfish, but I'd rather you die a prolonged, painful and scary death than inconvenience me selfish. I do think many in western citizens have had it too good, for tool long and are mentally unprepared for this.
    Post edited by Scottie_uk on
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • guesser wrote: »
    1024MAK wrote: »

I think a better way would be to offer a discount to shoppers that are correctly wearing a suitable face covering. No face covering, no discount.

Mark
  • Ælita wrote: »
    On a different related unrelated but related note..

Italian lady in Italian parliament lays down some heavy words or warning.

That woman is nuts. I can’t be bothered to check all the things she says (and I bored and didn’t finish watching the video), but it all rather sounds like misinformation, fake news and selective picking of quotes. Is she a flat earther?

Mark
  • edited August 5
    Scottie_uk wrote: »
    I found out just how selfish many US citizens are. Not just I want all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer the shop has selfish, but I'd rather you die a prolonged, painful and scary death than inconvenience me selfish. I do think many in western citizens have had it too good, for tool long and are mentally unprepared for this.

And you are surprised because?

It reminds me of those smokers, who got upset when smoking bans came in on indoor venues. “But I have a right to kill the non-smokers in here!”...

Humans can be very selfish.

Mark

Post edited by 1024MAK on
  • I still see many people going into shops with no mask but no one challenged them. What chance do we have?
  • zx1 wrote: »
    I still see many people going into shops with no mask but no one challenged them. What chance do we have?
    I have a very good chance. I wear a mask.
  • We're in lockdown in Aberdeen again.
  • Yeah saw that on the news yesterday.
  • My employer has provided us with a bag of about 6 washable face masks as well as a plastic face shield . The face shield is a full wrap around visor covering the eyes, nose and mouth and was developed by our rapid prototyping center. I am tempted to wear the face sheld when I go to the supermarket as the face masks do not stop droplets getting in the eyes. I do think many wearing masks have an unrealistic sense of safety when they cram themselves down the isles to get their crisps, chocolates and baked beans. I think that unrealistic sense of safety is a major risk.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos