Why is UK tv so crap?

Saturday early evening, time to check out the tv. oh look ITV are showing the latest Jurassic Park. Hang on, they played that last saturday, and a few days before that.

Have you notice that during the lockdown how terrible broadcast tv was? when we needed it the most? Our so called big five, just showed a load of drivel and repeats. It was like going back to summer in the 70s. Bit of a coincidence as it lned up with time they start BritBox. They could have showed all sorts of classic tv, but no they saved that for suckers that paid extra for it.

This has been bubbling up for me since i heard ITV are releasing the new Spitting Image on BritBox. i kind of feel ripped off as some of the license fee helps fund ITV and they can’t even give us some new decent content. i’m even more angry that this has got to so much. I know tv isnt that important but it reflects the large corporates **** you attitude.

Anyone else feel like this?
Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
Thanked by 1rholduser

Comments

• Okay, yes there has been a lot of repeats on. Saturday evening TV has been something that I have not watched for many years now. Of the five main channels, ITV is hardly watched my me anymore.

But there are some things to keep in mind:

ITV gets no money from the TV license. ITV is funded only by the advertising revenue. Since Sky, Virgin and now ‘internet’ TV have become popular, the advertising revenue for ITV has been falling over the years. Add to that the drop in revenue due to companies having to make savings due to COVID19 Corona virus and ITV is no longer the force it once was.

The license fee that funds the BBC is not enough to pay for all the current BBC services and provide free TV for the U.K. citizens that are over 65 years (previously the U.K. government paid the license fee for the over 65’s). So the Beeb has been busy cost cutting. Drama is expensive TV. Do you see where I’m going with this...

And all TV production in the U.K., as well as in various other parts of the world, has been affected by COVID19 Corona virus restrictions. Making it far harder to make new programmes.

Mark
  • Yeah there's now hardly any new content due to everything being suspended due to COVID. Oddly it hasn't featured at all in Casualty.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • I haven’t watched actual TV in close to 20 years, when I still lived in England I’d usually just have channel 4 on in the background or an old horror flick, while I was doing something else. Although at that time I was heavily into modding Jet Set Willy, and Manic Miner, that was mainly what I was concentrating on most likely.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I doubt TV anywhere else is any better, TBH...
  • Yeah BBC,SVT, NRK..and their Pravda style news. It's the same all over. Background noise really.
    On those afternoons in utopia..
  • It was like it before lockdown. Both ITV and BBC don't use their prime time slot on Saturday evenings anymore for live entertainment shows. Normally for ITV they usually show the complete series of Harry Potter films which repeats every 3 months or so. I miss the evenings when you had Noels House Party on the Beeb, and Gladiators on ITV. Radio has gone the same way with Capital buying up local stations so they can play the top 20 charts all day.
  • I think conventional TV is on the road out due to the rise of downloading and streaming channels such as Amazon and Netflix which the BBC and ITV can't compete with in terms of budgets and resources.
    The days of waiting a week to see the next episode of your favourite show are coming to an end.
  • I think the last two comments are very prescient.
    zx1 predicts how streaming will become the dominant "TV" force. But that really only covers the kind of documentaries, series and movies those platforms produce.
    They're never going to cover the kind of "event" TV we were used to watching that Spec-chum mentions.

I fear that kind of traditional TV we all grew up with will be lost forever... :(
  • There's simply too much TV nowadays, every show is billed as 'unmissable' but i can't watch everything or i'd never leave the house, i just choose what i want to see.
    A lot of it is shite anyway! Endless reality shows if rich, spoiled folk moaning how they are 'hounded by the media' then sign up to a 10 part documentary to follow them around! Most of those reality tv shows make me want to dip my head in acid :))
  • Well the fee use to help fund the infrastructure which the big five use, however that may have changed. But you must have a license to watch any live streaming broadcast, so that is as good as paying for ITV. I'm certainly not going to pay more to watch their 'good' repeats. Some of that 80s ITV would have been good to watch, but I bet they saved that for BritBox. ;)

I accept that new stuff couldn't get made, but there is over 30-40 years worth of TV that BBC own and could have shown. To me, maybe its just my tastes, but he repeated stuff was just bits of recent shows, and some real drivel. But hey ho, its not important, TV is just TV. And there are a thousand and one things you can do instead.
  • Plus for some reason and the BBC is the main culprit is that a lot of shows seem to be preachy or have some kind of hidden agenda and seem to have a liberal/race or political subtext, it doesn't always work.
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Plus for some reason and the BBC is the main culprit is that a lot of shows seem to be preachy or have some kind of hidden agenda and seem to have a liberal/race or political subtext, it doesn't always work.

Yes..very true. I don't think it ever works. Box office shows that..but is it supposed to work or is it long term indoctrination for new into this world. Whats their game eh? What are they up to? Whats it all about when you get right down to it eh? I have suspicions.
    On those afternoons in utopia..
  • A recent example was the excellent Penny Dreadful being transported to 30's LA and the main plot was about Mexicans taking a stand against the State Governor who wanted to bulldoze their neighbourhood for a new freeway, so that's one show with a race angle and was really just a detective show with Penny Dreadful stuck on the front, i watched a few episodes and gave up.
  • So what?
  • So what's wrong with having shows about Mexicans?
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • guesser wrote: »
    So what's wrong with having shows about Mexicans?
    Sometimes they can be based on questionable cultural stereotypes.
    60372b1e69b6e576e39f9d2b62389c2c.jpg

• edited August 10
    I don't get it either, but last week, there was this video going viral about how the BBC doesn't know how to cook rice. (I happened to look for a rice recipe last week.)

Oh well, I'm going to make potatoes tonight. :P

PS. Or perhaps I'm going for some salad, as it's over 30 degrees over here.
    Post edited by Timmy on
  • Did the show end with a 'Mexican stand off'.. ;)

I'll get me coat!
  • Parts of UK TV are crap.
    There is still a hell of a lot of great programming out there, and the streaming/catch-up services let you watch the classics.
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Plus for some reason and the BBC is the main culprit is that a lot of shows seem to be preachy or have some kind of hidden agenda and seem to have a liberal/race or political subtext, it doesn't always work.

I wholly agree with that, ZX1 and like Aelita, I too have my suspicions. My oldest and most sensible childhood friend in the UK, sounds very gloomy about the changes being wrought, mostly because of what they appear to imply, like the stage is being set for something yet to be revealed.

35 years ago when I decided to emigrate my father said "you're making a good move and if I was your age that's what I would have done too, except I'd have chosen Australia not the U.S."
    My brother DID choose Australia though I don't think he's all that happy about the choice right now.

• edited August 16
    Luny wrote: »
    Saturday early evening, time to check out the tv. oh look ITV are showing the latest Jurassic Park. Hang on, they played that last saturday, and a few days before that.

Have you notice that during the lockdown how terrible broadcast tv was? when we needed it the most? Our so called big five, just showed a load of drivel and repeats. It was like going back to summer in the 70s. Bit of a coincidence as it lned up with time they start BritBox. They could have showed all sorts of classic tv, but no they saved that for suckers that paid extra for it.

This has been bubbling up for me since i heard ITV are releasing the new Spitting Image on BritBox. i kind of feel ripped off as some of the license fee helps fund ITV and they can’t even give us some new decent content. i’m even more angry that this has got to so much. I know tv isnt that important but it reflects the large corporates **** you attitude.

Anyone else feel like this?

The only time I actually watch TV as its broadcast is if i am visting my mum, so I seen a few frames of the World Snooker without a live Crucible audience the last time I was round with her. With the freeview box, am not sure it is on one of the five main channels very much. I don't bother with anything else such as Catch-up TV. There is so much crap on at some parts of the day they should bring back the TV Test Card, espectially in the mornings! Also should be a close of the day, or sign off, like there used to be with maybe a just a late film to follow, or the Sky at Night with Patrick Moore, or a late night Laurel and Hardy ;-)

Post edited by dmsmith on
  • Sky At Night is on BBC Four monthly plus special episodes...
  • merman wrote: »
    Sky At Night is on BBC Four monthly plus special episodes...

My comment was partly humorous, and nostalgic.

But I do think the introduction of morning TV shows was not a good thing, likewise with all night TV broadcasts.

IMO broadcasts should wait until around mid-day with a few exceptions for instance during holiday times, so as not to encourage people to drop out and veg. in front of the box listening to showbiz gossip. Early in the day programs might be better to be home-economics related, for both men and women, with some attention to single men and single women living by themselves. Also some general Educational (Maths, and Hard Sciences and English Language) and Open University broadcasts. The TV wasn't created for broadcasting all the gutter tripe and crap its currently showing. A lot of TV broadcasts cannot be watched together with other family members: so more general interest shows needed: how stuff is made, great railway journeys etc.

But the reason people find TV crap is because a lot of it they seen it before and while there is 100+ Freeview channels that will remain almost inevitable.

Films like Jurrasic Park don't really translate well to the small screen.
  • dmsmith wrote: »
    merman wrote: »
    Sky At Night is on BBC Four monthly plus special episodes...

My comment was partly humorous, and nostalgic.

But I do think the introduction of morning TV shows was not a good thing, likewise with all night TV broadcasts.

IMO broadcasts should wait until around mid-day with a few exceptions for instance during holiday times, so as not to encourage people to drop out and veg. in front of the box listening to showbiz gossip. Early in the day programs might be better to be home-economics related, for both men and women, with some attention to single men and single women living by themselves. Also some general Educational (Maths, and Hard Sciences and English Language) and Open University broadcasts. The TV wasn't created for broadcasting all the gutter tripe and crap its currently showing. A lot of TV broadcasts cannot be watched together with other family members: so more general interest shows needed: how stuff is made, great railway journeys etc.

But the reason people find TV crap is because a lot of it they seen it before and while there is 100+ Freeview channels that will remain almost inevitable.

Films like Jurrasic Park don't really translate well to the small screen.

Most films generally don't but you can still follow the plot and enjoy the story, I just hate the fact when you turn on terrestrial, its the same film each day over and over. for weeks.
  • Small screens aren't always small any more either. Watching a 50" screen from just a few feet away isn't radically different from watching a cinema screen much further back.

Live TV is dead. I've been watching video on demand for well over a decade, there's really no need to stick to some TV exec's viewing choices and schedules unless you want to see live sports.
  • US TV is just as bad. I watch Netflix or YouTube these days.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Small screens aren't always small any more either. Watching a 50" screen from just a few feet away isn't radically different from watching a cinema screen much further back.

Is that not how Sinclair tried to sell his Microvision?

Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Small screens aren't always small any more either. Watching a 21" screen from just a few inches away isn't radically different from watching a cinema screen much further back.

I’ve adjusted your post to 1980s standards :))

Mark
  • dmsmith wrote: »
    There is so much crap on at some parts of the day they should bring back the TV Test Card, espectially in the mornings!

So how many people “enjoyed” the 1kHz test tone?

If there was proper teletext (not the modern rubbish so called “digital” version), pages from CEEFAX would be better ;;)

Not that there is any teletext on any commercial channels these days, and the BBC “digital” teletext has only survived so far due to COVID19. It was due to be killed off and may well still be chopped.

Mark