Politically Incorrect Games I Love To Own .

By today's standards a lot of the 1980's freedoms seem to be seen as being politically out of date and sometimes abhorent even from some standpoints .Wih regards to ZX Spectrum Softare ,these bits of software have to have that more extreme element to be included in this category : so , to be included , they must not be merely culturally out of date ( as per my other thread) . With this category there has to be that extra zing of dodgy INCORRECTNESS! ( Ahhr I can just soak up the incoorectness of the 1980s as I smell the coffee!)

And we have to remember that the use of language changes . Words like Idiot , Moron and Imbecile were words included by the UK Government on the 1840s census . So that gives me my first candidate for this category . It is a game called MORON by Atlantis Software . Are there any more "good ones" out there?

Comments

• edited August 22
    Soho Sex Quest - a badly written and bugged text adventure written with The Quill, apparently. Never played it myself. :)
    Post edited by Nick on
  • edited August 22
    Haha there’s that other one as well Way of the exploding tits. Now that game is messed up, yet strangely amusing at the same time.
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • "Way of the Exploding Tits" . I never heard of that one And Soho Sex Quest . I wonder if they are in the WOs archive .

I did wonder if this thread would take off . Would people be policitcally incorrect enough to mention political incorrectness . Would they risk it in today's climate? . And of course there are things thay have become incorrect ot joke about in the context of Covid. So political incorrectness varies a lot with the times!
  • I remember Soho Sex Quest - i played it a few years ago, got it from the wos archive. I'm pretty sure one of the quests is you have sex with a dead dog, it's pretty sick but funny as well. Might play it again today :))
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited August 23
    While the game itself isn't un-PC, being able to shoot the refugees in Zzoom is, but it is also perversely funny.
    Post edited by Nick on
  • But here is a question . Are "scraping the barrel" games the same as politically incorrect games?
  • edited August 23
    There's always Gay Shot.

Now that game is bad, and it's actually not that old, and caused quite a stir if I remember rightly. If I remember correctly if the gays catch you it's game over, and you get bummed to death.

Although don't take this post as me saying I own the game and love it. I'm just mentioning it here because it is one of the least politically correct Speccy games I've seen.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Mr Wong's Loopy Laundry from Ocean, which has non-PC depictions of Chinese people.
    Frank Bruno's boxing uses racial stereotyping as well.
    Depicting Daley Thompson as white for no good reason would never fly these days.

• edited August 23
    There’s also that one game called Sex Crime, it’s not an English release, but it’s not exactly hard to work out what’s going on.

Let’s just say if Codemasters had released it, it would probably be called Coma Rape Simulator.

This isn’t a newer spoof release either it’s archived as being released in 1985.

• I am not sure about these:-

Bimbo (Joe the Lion) 1983 . But they are sure about the price :on Ebay its up for £29.99 .

Mr Wino (Firebird) . Sounds a bit insulting but probably not PC.
  • Contact Sam cruise and Stormbringer both allow you to wear a disguise making you appear as the opposite sex. That's probably forbidden these days.
  • Pobbit wrote: »
    Depicting Daley Thompson as white for no good reason would never fly these days.
    I never quite understood the furore behind this, and it's been continually peddled out as an infamous controversy from the Spectrum's past.
    I mean, is the graphic in the game really supposed to be Daley? That's not the way of things in plenty of other sports games endorsed by stars of the time. It's their name on the box, but they're not necessary in the game. I always just played it as a Decathlon simulation that had Daley's picture on the front. The in-game graphic never meant anything more to me than the one in the original Track and Field arcade game that spawned the whole genre.

It's not like the Spectrum even had a "brown" colour to depict Daley accurately! And I don't think making the graphic Spectrum-black-0 would have looked any better....!
  • edited August 23
    Doesn't Bored of the Rings, or another spoof LOTR text adventure possibly Fuddo and Slam, have Farmer Maggot, renamed as Farmer Faggot? Now that definitely wouldn't fly these days...

• Vixen featured a page 3 model both on the cover and, I believe, in digitised form as the title character. There did seem to be a bit of outrage in the letters pages of computer mags whenever a glamour model was featured, however loosely, in games.

I don't recall there being much hoo-hah when Lara Croft and her oversized knockers burst on the games scene, whether it was because she wasn't based on a real person and she appeared during the lad/ladette era I don't know,

Mr Wong's Loopy Laundry from Ocean
    Arctic, not Ocean. Ocean did Chinese Juggler

• And not forgetting the word "APPROPRIATE" which now applies to all sorts of human behaviour- we did not have this kind of approriatemess in the 1980s.For instance , in the past , the word appropriate was used like this, "Fill in the form and tick the boxes "as appropriate" but "tick box" appropriateness is no more . Instead , nowadays it more likely to be used as "age appropriate " or not "appropriate" to do this or that ( Is it appropriate to walk down the street?" - probably not . I exaggerate to make the point- "appropriateness" is everywhere nowadays!) .And is a twenty year old playing Spectrum games appropriate? Are ZX spectrum games ,at large , appropriate?
  • Yeah and if you’re not behaving appropriately apparently you’re “problematic” 8-}
  • Manic Muslim.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • Thats one I had not heard of . There must be more.
    Mr Wong's Loopy Laundry from Ocean
    Arctic, not Ocean. Ocean did Chinese Juggler
    Ooops, well spotted - I was merging the two games in my head Mr Wong's Chinese Loopy Laundry Juggler.
    Add Chinese Juggler to the list, I guess, from the cover artwork if nothing else.
  • There’s also that one game called Sex Crime, it’s not an English release, but it’s not exactly hard to work out what’s going on.

Let’s just say if Codemasters had released it, it would probably be called Coma Rape Simulator.

This isn’t a newer spoof release either it’s archived as being released in 1985.

The infamous Paradise Cafe managed to set the bar even lower...
  • edited August 25
    I need to refine my idea of what Political Correctness refers to . This is what Wiki thinks it is :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

So arguably it has little to do with sex and more to do with not causing offence (Phew!) I know its hard to get your head round it. So edgy humour (which has died out a lot recently) may be politically incorrect (a lot) sometimes. So edginess could be where this all meets up in the middle. Are there any edgy humour Speccy games?
    Post edited by harriusherbartio on
  • There are so many billions people in the world, there will always be at least one person who is offended.

Therefore, every single game is politically incorrect, whether you jump people on the head, or where you shoot someone, or where you kill someone, or anything else.

Wasn't Manic Miner meant to be politically incorrect when it was released, for example?
  • Good question . I do not know as I never got into it . But maybe there is a story about this...
  • Apple Jam had you continuously eating until you had a fit. That was pretty warped even back then.
  • Sounds ike a good one.
  • So when can I talk about top **** (or top ballcocks if the swear filter is still on)?

Did any games include such terms or other similar slang?

Mark
  • Yep, swear filter still operating at peak efficiency :)) :))
  • edited August 26
    English and other UK sub culturals themes is another area for consideration :- for instance Cockney lingo , Brumagum misspellings , and Mancopian dystopias could all be in there with or without a swear filter as long as they are all politically incorrect."Inclusivity" can thus be maintained at all times.
    Post edited by harriusherbartio on

• I spotted a bit of mild political incorrectness (by today's standards) in the game Stagecoach (Creative Sparks) . The instructions say " You can shoot the Indians ...." (Ok just mild incorrectness there) . Would we be allowed to just shoot Indians today?