NOMAD data format

Apropos of a discussion in the WoS Facebook group, I wondered how easy it would be to work out how the map and graphics are held in N.O.M.A.D. Just in case anybody happened to want to write an editor for it, or anything like that.

The good news is, it looks like quite a straightforward data format, not compressed or anything. My notes are at https://www.seasip.info/ZX/nomad.html .
Thanked by 1arttu

Comments

• If you already done research, what is left then?
    Heavy on the disasm
  • Bedazzle wrote: »
    If you already done research, what is left then?
    Just in case anybody happened to want to write an editor for it, or anything like that.

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • I think it might also be useful to anyone who wanted to do a 128k version (move the room layouts into sideways RAM, giving space for 256 rooms and freeing up a chunk of conventional memory for more tiles or an AY player) or ULAplus support.
  • Good work John. Nice to see some different games being exposed. NOMAD is one of the 'lesser' games that rarely gets mentioned.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • NOMAD was one of my favorite games on the speccy. The first time I saw it was at my friend's place who had it on a +3 disk along with a few other games like Gift from the Gods. I don't see any official releases of these games on the disk so am not sure why they were on disk. Anyhow, he claimed that they wouldn't run on my ZX Spectrum+ because a) they were on disk b) something about +3 being superior so obviously games that run on it wouldn't run on the 48k version.

So that night I took the disk home and spent the entire next day hacking the loader so that I could rip the games to a tape. Obviously, I did it for science and to prove that it could be done. I have to admit, I was quite proud to invite him around a few days later to show them running on my "humble" speccy.

Anyways, I digress. NOMAD quickly became one of my favorite games because it was quite different to any other game I had played on the speccy and the inertial movement system that was the source of many teeth gnashing as I careened from one end of the screen to a bullet or enemy. Eventually I acquired an infinite lives poke from my friend and that allowed me finally finish the game. Good fun!
  • edited September 15
    NOMAD, Mailstrom, Gift From The Gods, Cosmic Wartoad and Daley Thompson's Supertest were bundled with the +3. Bizarrely, these were all 48k games with no attempt to add support for 128K memory or the AY chip -- especially odd with Supertest when a bona fide 128k version already existed.
    Post edited by John Elliott on
  • NOMAD, Mailstrom, Gift From The Gods, Cosmic Wartoad and Daley Thompson's Supertest were bundled with the +3. Bizarrely, these were all 48k games with no attempt to add support for 128K memory or the AY chip -- especially odd with Supertest when a bona fide 128k version already existed.

Ah! So that's why they were on disk and ran perfectly well when I ripped them to tape on my 48k speccy!
    :)) I don't see any mention of this +3 disk collection on infoseek database though. Shouldn't someone upload the +3 disk version as well then?
  • Once upon a time, I tried to edit level graphics of NOMAD. It looked like this:
    [img]nomad.png
    Yes, it's a Robocop inside of NOMAD.
    If you are interested, I'll try to find it.