Preaching to the choir about the Next

Nevertheless I thought this video gives a very clear, non technical introduction to the SpectrumNext by an American who had no previous knowledge of the Speccy but nevertheless seems to be well pleased with what he's learned so far.

Thanked by 1rholduser

Comments

• edited September 12
    Metal Jesus does some alright vids on other stuff as well. He did buy the C64 mini, but actually says he didn’t like it much cos’ he never had one as a kid.
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • One more review from Nostalgia Nerd which goes into a lot more detail and don't overlook the SHOW MORE button because its full of useful info.

• If this had a rubber keyboard... I'd buy it. But the +2 keyboard was (for me, anyway) the very very worst of the Sinclair keyboards. And yeah, I include the ZX81 in that.
  • edited September 14
    Bad Horsey wrote: »
    If this had a rubber keyboard... I'd buy it. But the +2 keyboard was (for me, anyway) the very very worst of the Sinclair keyboards. And yeah, I include the ZX81 in that.

From what I have read and heard there's a lot of praise for the Next keyboard which I believe the team spent a lot of time on perfecting. I'd definitely see if I could get a go on someones Next to check it out for myself before I wrote off what promises to be a really exceptional piece of kit.

Failing that you could always get the bare board and stick it in the dead flesh version case or even one of the various alternative keyboards since it accepts PS2 which should give you the option of an IBM keyboard which are generally regarded - some models are - as being about the best you can get.

Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • For me, the dead flesh keyboard was an integral part of my Spectrum experience. I've never been able to replicate my gaming 'fist' on any other controller.

I have pondered the bare boards option, but given the lack of success that I've had getting my Recreated ZX Spectrum to talk to RetroPie, I'm not hopeful.
  • I was sorely tempted by the ZX Spectrum Next as well as the Issue 2 more recently. But the cost including shipping and no doubt the customs duty I will have to pay for it means that I'm paying nearly double the actual price (or at least 50% of the actual cost as additional). *sigh* Looks really good and the whole thing seems to have been done so professionally. Genuinely happy to see an actual next-gen ZX Spectrum that's not a rip-off attempt.
  • Arjun I just checked out your blog, nice Basic for beginners, I'm glad I found it. Will probably read, type in and try modifying to get back into my long forgotten Basic which was pretty minimal really as it was mostly to do with UDG designs.
  • Hope you find it useful mike! I wrote the BASIC tutorial for complete beginners so hopefully it should serve you well. It's best used with the speccy manual as reference as the manual points out other practical examples of the same BASIC command while I focus on just using it for the purpose of making the game mentioned in the tutorial.
  • Dont tel anyone this, but.....

I was an early backer of the next ( issue 1 ) and it's still in it's box other than a check to see if all was ok.

I just haven't had the time or inclination since it arrived to even contemplate setting it up and 'do my homework' with it.

Mores to the point, i have not used any of my existing speccys for over a year or really applied myself to any of my gaming consoles much either.

I think, mainly cos I am the IT dept in my company and I haven't stopped during the Covid crisis, that I can't even face sitting down in front of a screen when I get home.

Does this make me a bad person ? I may even have a clearout and ebay a load off.
  • Saboteur wrote: »
    Dont tel anyone this, but.....

I was an early backer of the next ( issue 1 ) and it's still in it's box other than a check to see if all was ok.

I just haven't had the time or inclination since it arrived to even contemplate setting it up and 'do my homework' with it.

Mores to the point, i have not used any of my existing speccys for over a year or really applied myself to any of my gaming consoles much either.

I think, mainly cos I am the IT dept in my company and I haven't stopped during the Covid crisis, that I can't even face sitting down in front of a screen when I get home.

Does this make me a bad person ? I may even have a clearout and ebay a load off.

Us in the IT world, especially over the last 6 months or so, just don't have the inclination to get home and do other stuff :/

I've just gotten hold of an Amiga A500, it all works, ordered some stuff I needed (mouse/joystick/battery for mem expansion/gotek. However, I just know that I will not be bothered to do anything for a couple of months yet :(
    So far, so meh :)
  • I'm on my computer every day from 6am till 10pm because I live in an isolated rural area and the computer is my lifeline to the outside world, Polo and Saboteur.

So I often ignore stuff I meant to get on with because I'm too busy reading newspaper websites or wallowing in nostalgia via YouTube and Amazon Prime (mainly WW2 stuff especially planes).

Also I'm at my best before midday so anything brain wrinkling better be done in that small window or it wont get done at all. Basic programming gets shoved onto the back burner although I do a lot of diagramming on paper and pencil.

• Glad i'm not the only one Polomint.

Just because users have been working at home they think they can work non-standard office hours and expect 24/7 support. It's been a nightmare I can tell you.

I just hope the boss doesn't start asking for some sort of timesheet check on users hours cos most of my users think i can't see what hours they are actually logged in ( which they have to be to do any work :( )