Is it me or is it a terrible year for luck.

edited September 15 in Chit chat
It has really been one of those years this year for me. Few health issues start of the year, then had holiday planned, couldn't go because of the covid situation, and long furloughed from work before being made redundant. Stresses all to do with the covid situation that I'm sure has effected all. To top that off I was driven into the back of in our car last week and the damage is too much to repair, so car is being written off. We've got a UK break booked next week which we need a car for, so great timing to have a car accident. Luckly the car does still drive though.

Anyone else found this year a bad one for luck?
Post edited by Your Spec-chum on

Comments

• To answer the last sentence, "yes" unfortunately, although one of the issues you mention applied to me (in some ways anyway) the others were related.

Sorry that's a bit cryptic, can't really go into detail on a public forum.

So you're not alone!

I'll say that the Covid situation has not been a huge factor in effecting "my luck" though, as in "this was going to happen anyway"

I'll brighten the post up with a couple of smilies to finish with > :) :)
  • spider wrote: »
    To answer the last sentence, "yes" unfortunately, although one of the issues you mention applied to me (in some ways anyway) the others were related.

Sorry that's a bit cryptic, can't really go into detail on a public forum.

So you're not alone!

I'll say that the Covid situation has not been a huge factor in effecting "my luck" though, as in "this was going to happen anyway"

I'll brighten the post up with a couple of smilies to finish with > :) :)

That's all you really can do keep smiling and carry on mate. Just want to scrap this year and start a new one. :)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • 'Your Spec chum' - I think this is probably 'Annus Horribilis' for the majority of people in the world, what with the Covid-19 virus and the fascist ascendancy in the West.

Keep on truckin' mate, to paraphrase what Spider said and he's not alone in having medical issues to haunt him either. My daughter is going in for a brain operation that frightens the hell out of me because of the danger surrounding it.

I'm not in great shape myself! Sod it, you can't give up, you just have to put a brave face on for the sake of the others that depend on you and give as generously as you can to help others when possible as what goes around comes around. Do as you would be done by, be done by as you did!
    (Charles Kingsley 'Water Babies')
    Thanked by 1spider
  • It's been a terrible year all round for most but one of my colleagues has had it particularly bad.

At the start of 2020 he had a heart attack. This is the fittest nearly 60 yr old I know. Ex professional footballer from the 80s (lower main divisions) as fit as a fiddle who does nothing to excess and looks after himself. Just got shite genes inherited from his dad who died from a heart attack at 58 with genetic heart disease. In and out of hospital from Jan to May.

May to August he's been silly, come back to work too early and making silly mistakes with big consequences that's costing the company money it can ill afford at this time. He's a director and pretty safe but the CEO is VERY **** off with him.

Mid August his best friend is in a coma from a bike accident that he saw happen. It was horrific - smashed (forced by a driver) into central reservation of dual carriageway at 60mph. Broke nearly every bone in body and damaged vital organs. Amazingly he's recovering when he should be dead. The description was "his torso looked like a porcupine with the ribs sticking out". I'm quite upset as I worked with this guy years ago too and he was a friend.

And to top it all off last week he got confirmed Covid positive.

As rubbish as this year has been, I'm counting my blessings.
  • That's all we can do as sad as it is.
    I still have my job, my home , my heath, my parents are still with us and my marriage is intact.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • I've already written this year off. Nothing but bad luck personally. I'm still alive so i guess that counts for something.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg