The Social Dilemma

Has anyone watched the NetFlix documentary 'The Social Dillemma'?

It pretty much told me what I already know about how these tech giants are able sustain themselves. However, it was sobering to see how much culpability there is for the negative impact of social media especially on teens. So it seems the algorithms and features of things like Facebook and snap-chat are designed to addict users so that they can harvest more monetization off their user's interactions. It's very interesting that the actual creators of this tech who worked on it in the mid 2000s are now having a call to arms, a call of conscience about what a monster they have created and now want to push silicon valley towards a more ethical user interface.

I know when friends or acquaintances on Facebook send you those awful quizzes with the likes of 'Which Friends Character are you', I have always told them that if someone wants to survey me, they'll have to pay me and it will have to be anonymous hoping they will get the hint. They don't and they continue to share this junk and other fake information that they think is interesting.
Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos

Comments

• Yeah. Like you, I already knew at some level what was going on behind the scenes. But the depth of it was eye-opening. I had noticed that I had been spending way too much time on reddit, twitter and youtube when I should be doing something useful (like posting on WoSF), and the documentary more or less made it clear why I found them so compelling. I have no proceeded to wipe out all the social apps from my phone. If I want to know what's going on, I need to log onto my comp, which is at least bothersome enough that I am not on them apps on a regular basis.
  • I'll watch that series as soon as I've finished Hunters. Sounds like it's trying to confirm some things I have suspected with social media for a few years now. I used to be quite an avid user of Facebook (never used Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram) but I found it to be such a toxic sh*t-hole over the last few years that I've weened myself almost completely off it.

Don't get me started on those ridiculous surveys that try to subtly (and some not so subtly) mine personal details.

Then to top it all off the people who are obviously narcissistic nut jobs. Vague-bookers I used to like to troll but nothing would get my hackles up more than someone who posts a "remove me from your friends list if you don't agree with me" or the classic "I've decided to have a friends cull". Arrogant tossers. Unfriend.
  • The owner of Mewe is pushing this doc as he hates the bigger companies and their practices
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited September 19
    Scottie_uk wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the NetFlix documentary 'The Social Dillemma'?

It pretty much told me what I already know about how these tech giants are able sustain themselves. However, it was sobering to see how much culpability there is for the negative impact of social media especially on teens. So it seems the algorithms and features of things like Facebook and snap-chat are designed to addict users so that they can harvest more monetization off their user's interactions. It's very interesting that the actual creators of this tech who worked on it in the mid 2000s are now having a call to arms, a call of conscience about what a monster they have created and now want to push silicon valley towards a more ethical user interface.

I know when friends or acquaintances on Facebook send you those awful quizzes with the likes of 'Which Friends Character are you', I have always told them that if someone wants to survey me, they'll have to pay me and it will have to be anonymous hoping they will get the hint. They don't and they continue to share this junk and other fake information that they think is interesting.

I haven't seen that, sounds interesting. While I have a facebook account I rarely use it. I felt what it was becoming with its new technologies was like something Mr Silva would have been pleased with!

It all began when we agreed to cookies!!
    Post edited by dmsmith on
  • The owner of Mewe is pushing this doc as he hates the bigger companies and their practices

I am so not clued in, that i thought that mewe was a cat!

• I appreciate (now that know what it is) what MeWe are attempting. I welcome it as alternative to Facebook, even though I don't really use these apps very much.
  • One thing they did say in that documentary was that when Facebook, was designed the dev team looked to slot machines (fruit machines/ one arm bandits) for inspiration and what it was about them that kept their users hanging on. That tells you something about their motives.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos