Demo's without releases

edited September 17 in Games
Was thinking earlier, were there any cover-tape 'demos' either playable (usually time or level limited) or fully automated (just watch) demo's that never actually materialised into a released game ?

Would be OK to include games that say had a Speccy demo but never were released on our platform but perhaps made an appearance on the Amstrad or Commodore etc etc as a full game.

I'd also perhaps think about excluding things that were released but as a freebie with something else and/or on a later cover tape aka "here's the full version of that demo we had last year" , but I'm not sure on that point.

I can't really think of any off hand but there's bound to be a few surely ? :)

EDIT... If any exist would be OK to include something that was included on 'side b' of a different game as in "here's a playable demo of our other game xyz" , but said game never appeared.

EDIT2... Thinking again original Scooby Do game perhaps ? Not sure if it was thrown out as it was as a demo, recall seeing screenshots before it got a rewrite though.
Post edited by spider on

Comments

• Wasn’t the rolling demo of Barbarian 2 a completely different game to what got released?

Although I’m not 100% sure about that, and it’s not like I can check it. But I’m sure the sprites were solid black sprites in that demo, and the backgrounds were a lot more colourful.

Not even sure which mag it was now either? I think it was SU, but it could have been Crash! Perhaps?
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited September 18
    I thought for a moment MeanStreak (there was an automated demo on one of the Crash Sampler tapes, I vaguely recall it, that and Trantor too) but the game was about the same iirc. Nearly brought Trantor because of its demo actually! I did buy Athena after the first 'demo' though.

Never played Barbarian or its sequel.

EDIT... I think in this listing / discussion its perfectly fine to include erm 'shown features' provided they are on the demo either automated or manual (as in not screenshots printed somewhere) that were never in the released game too, if that makes sense! That may help to expand the game list.
    Post edited by spider on
  • edited September 18
    Wasn’t the rolling demo of Barbarian 2 a completely different game to what got released?

Although I’m not 100% sure about that, and it’s not like I can check it. But I’m sure the sprites were solid black sprites in that demo, and the backgrounds were a lot more colourful.

Not even sure which mag it was now either? I think it was SU, but it could have been Crash! Perhaps?
    Timmy wrote: »
    Barbarian 2 was in SU, on the astroclone tape iirc.

Yes - except for the backgrounds that were less colourful and detailed than the final game - and yes. Issue 77, August 1988. I still have both magazine and Megatape by the way.

Games of which only demos (playable or not) or working versions remain are:
    Atomic Robo-Kid
    Acolyte
    Galactic Patrol
    Thunder Jaws
    Death Stalker
    Caveman Ninja
    Lycos
    Trojan
    Zeus
    Saucer
    Ardonicus III
    Deception Of The Mind's Eye
    Armalyte
    Mega Twins

Source: https://tzxvault.org/time.htm
    Post edited by Alessandro Grussu on
    Thanked by 1spider
  • I'm one of those people who remembers things but not names... I remember there was a topic on WOS where someone mentioned modifying a demo to make it playable. I can't remember the name of the game. It was buggy but they unlocked it enough so people could enjoy it. Or maybe it wasn't a demo. Maybe it was one of those games that Ralph modified so we could enjoy graphics, features and other things that were hidden by the original coders, because they were buggy.
  • zxbruno wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who remembers things but not names... I remember there was a topic on WOS where someone mentioned modifying a demo to make it playable. I can't remember the name of the game. It was buggy but they unlocked it enough so people could enjoy it. Or maybe it wasn't a demo. Maybe it was one of those games that Ralph modified so we could enjoy graphics, features and other things that were hidden by the original coders, because they were buggy.

Yes, you need to total recall which game that was? This one (link here) was unlocked twice.

Mega Twins (link here) had a fix too.

There are probably others.

Thanked by 1zxbruno
  • Now I've read that I keep thinking of the 'automated' demo of Driller (or DarkSide) pretty sure it was Driller though likely on one of the early Crash cover tapes. I have some vague thought it was possible to gain control over it, but I could be 100% wrong here and thinking of something different, perhaps a playable version of it on a later tape.
  • I know this is slightly off-topic but did I dream that the Speccy version of the Bubble Bobble demo on an early issue of Ace was *almost* the full game? They realised at the last second?
  • edited September 22
    Vampyre wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off-topic but did I dream that the Speccy version of the Bubble Bobble demo on an early issue of Ace was *almost* the full game? They realised at the last second?
    I think that actually happened once with one Amiga cover disk game, the full one was on it apparently. No idea what/when.

On topic I'm aware the demo of Athena was the full game minus the level data, confirmed by loading it in from the full tape (I brought this based on the demo actually back then) find it really annoying now though lol.

I had 5-10 minutes research for you on this. Nearest with Bubble Bobble (checked NewZealandStory and RainbowIslands too for some reason!) is the 'musical' one as that is the same byte length (40536 bytes) as the 'demo' on the Ace CoverTape:

"Musical 1 S.A. (Spain)"
    "A.C.E. [3] (UK)"

Post edited by spider on
  • I class all of the my unfinished projects from the 80s as 'Demos without releases' ;)
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Luny wrote: »
    I class all of the my unfinished projects from the 80s as 'Demos without releases' ;)

:) Perhaps we should if you wish hear (read) more on those at some point, assuming there's not an older topic already.
  • spider wrote: »
    Vampyre wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off-topic but did I dream that the Speccy version of the Bubble Bobble demo on an early issue of Ace was *almost* the full game? They realised at the last second?
    I think that actually happened once with one Amiga cover disk game, the full one was on it apparently. No idea what/when.

On topic I'm aware the demo of Athena was the full game minus the level data, confirmed by loading it in from the full tape (I brought this based on the demo actually back then) find it really annoying now though lol.

I had 5-10 minutes research for you on this. Nearest with Bubble Bobble (checked NewZealandStory and RainbowIslands too for some reason!) is the 'musical' one as that is the same byte length (40536 bytes) as the 'demo' on the Ace CoverTape:

"Musical 1 S.A. (Spain)"
    "A.C.E. [3] (UK)"

I had a quick look through some early issues of Ace and couldn't find any reference to it (didn't look hard) but I found a couple of C64 posts that suggest they did leak a full copy but realised before too many were sent out:

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39747&sid=996b5a9e6166a087035168cde4ee7d4a

https://fgasking.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/unlocking-game-preview-secrets/