Animated loading screens

Does anyone know how many spectrum games had an animated loading screen? The only ones i can remember are Technician Ted and I think, Manic Miner.
We must perform a quirkafleeg

Comments

• Not animated, but games like Quazatron and Deflektor showed different instructions screens while loading.
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • Does the Joe Blade 2 Pacman minigame count? Or does that go above and beyond the question? :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Most of the 'Search' loaders have something iirc, Tech Ted (48K) being one mentioned with the animated sprites. The 128K version uses a different variant of it with various bits of text/graphics, as does Costa Capers.
  • edited September 20
    zx1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many spectrum games had an animated loading screen? The only ones i can remember are Technician Ted and I think, Manic Miner.

Hi manic miner is NOT animated, its clever FLASH use.
    but the walking pupets during loading ,thats obvious well made use of the 358 tstate gab in the loading sequence.
    As a maximum i would recomend "Ahh the tape loading era!"

there are many games with a countdown in the screen, thats a 358 hack, just to give it a name.
    or was it 356 tstate?
    Post edited by Crisis on
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • Does flashing counts (Like in Manic Miner)? There are tons of loading screens animated just by flashing.
    Tech Ted is unbeatable. I also saw few games (Joe Blade 2, Deviants, ...) with games on loading screens, do they count as animated?
    And I remember crazy demo doing demo effects while loading from tape.
    There are also different kinds of loaders doing something unusual during load (progress bars, counters, strange raster bars (few blocks, or even all over the screen), pictures drawn in unusual order) do they count?
  • edited September 20
    Didn't Trapdoor have blinking eyes on the loading screen? (not flash)
    And I think Heavy on the Magick had different sections of the screen appearing and disappearing in different colours.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any scrolling text on a loading screen, it would be a good way to introduce the story while waiting for the game to load. Or has it been done already?
    Post edited by i love the z80s on
  • Locomotion by Mastertronic has a clever "fake" animated loading screen which appears to solve a sliding block puzzle while the game loads... but it's not actually loading in the background, it's just ignoring the tape sounds while the animation plays back! When the animation finishes it starts loading the rest of the game proper, with what looks like a plain old ROM loader. You can confirm this by pausing the tape during the animation then unpausing it once it's finished.
  • Yes, Locomotion was mindblowing until I pressed pause :)
    If anyone know a game where loading screen becomes animated after loading complete, please let me know. II mean loading graphics stays on screen and something cool happens with it. Like picture becomes alive. Examples: Harrier Attack, Fernando Martin Basket Master, Sabrina, City Slicker.
  • Yes remember Locomotion, might still have the tape. Good game actually but far too difficult. There was an arcade game that was very similar too , that was even harder!

Other platforms occasionally have such things as musak during loading, one version of Spiky Harold on the CPC for example plays a lovely tune during load, the later re-release just uses iirc the beepload affair instead.

There's enough 'free time' with a normal loader to do a few things I suppose, perhaps more if you lower the baud rate a fraction. I must check but I think TechTed 48K uses a slightly lower baud rate than normal
  • C64 Ocean Loaders... Brilliant!
    Always loved 4 :)

Loader 1

Loader 2

Loader 3

Loader 4

So far, so meh :)
  • TheShich wrote: »
    If anyone know a game where loading screen becomes animated after loading complete, please let me know.
    Combat Lynx.
  • Moonstrike is the one.

• Way better version:

• Vectron has the instructions scrolling at the top of the screen throughout the entire load. Also, quite unusually, instead of a generic countdown, it displays the number of remaining kilobytes to load.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • Whoa! That Moonstrike loader is impressive. I had no idea that was even possible.
  • The Moonstrike loader (from watching part of the video) slightly reminds me of the Search loader as that can do similar things. I don't think it is the same loader but I've not checked. :) Still quite impressive!
  • TheShich wrote: »
    If anyone know a game where loading screen becomes animated after loading complete, please let me know.

Brian Bloodaxe

• Ashamed to say I never saw that Moonstrike loader before. That was truly awesome!

Unfortunately, it creates a better impression than the game itself which surely needs to be included in the Smallest playfield game? thread...
  • Would Academy count for this cause? It's not that it's animated as such, but the raster bars (in red and yellow) are seen from a jet-trail-shaped area inside the PAPER as if a hole has been cut in it. I know there's another game out there - probably more than one - that showed the raster bars in a small window in the PAPER and blacked out the BORDER, and something's telling me it was a variant of an Alkatraz loader. Anyone know any more of those than Academy?
  • Not sure if you'd want to count some of the Alcatraz (possibly later Speedlock, not checked) games too ? These draw the screen in sometimes an interesting way.
  • Did Moonlight Madness have one? Been so long since i played it.
  • Vectron has the instructions scrolling at the top of the screen throughout the entire load. Also, quite unusually, instead of a generic countdown, it displays the number of remaining kilobytes to load.

Wow! That's advanced for the time! Didn't think that was possible.
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Did Moonlight Madness have one? Been so long since i played it.
    I checked. The title screen's animated, but the loading screen isn't.
  • Hi
    "desktop" , its not a game yet it has a count-down while loading, very simple
    https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/utilities/desktop-proxima-software
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • Locomotion by Mastertronic has a clever "fake" animated loading screen which appears to solve a sliding block puzzle while the game loads... but it's not actually loading in the background, it's just ignoring the tape sounds while the animation plays back! When the animation finishes it starts loading the rest of the game proper, with what looks like a plain old ROM loader. You can confirm this by pausing the tape during the animation then unpausing it once it's finished.

Lol :) Quite as you say, it seems like they literally have a bogus data block in there that never gets loaded in any way. I've looked at its contents out of curiosity, thinking it was a 128K music block meant to be skipped in 48K mode or w/e but apparently not. There seems to be (what I think is) a remnant of the game saving procedure at the beginning of it, however.

spider wrote: »
    Other platforms occasionally have such things as musak during loading, one version of Spiky Harold on the CPC for example plays a lovely tune during load,

It's also very possible on the Spectrum, just saying :)
  • Are there rzx file of these amazing loadings? and then even only the loading its selve?
  • edited September 23
    Why would you need an RZX? RZX is a game replay, replicating the various user inputs for the game being played.

Just turn off any flash load option in your emulator and load the game, or watch it on youtube.
    Post edited by Antiriad2097 on

IIRC, Bobby Bearing is similar.

I know there's another game out there - probably more than one - that showed the raster bars in a small window in the PAPER and blacked out the BORDER, and something's telling me it was a variant of an Alkatraz loader. Anyone know any more of those than Academy?

Zythum, by Mirrorsoft.
  • The musak during load is easier on systems where there's no tape loading noise or where it can be perhaps switched off (or lower level) :)
  • Anyone know any more of those than Academy?
    Action Reflex (rectangle)
    A Stroll in the Bleak Forest (Bart Bear 2) (rounded)
    Ball breaker 2 (two rectangles)

I can spend all day giving examples, but if I have to chose one game with loading animation, it would be
    "Removal Deluxe" https://worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0021840
    It's loading procedure boring on 48K, interesting on 128K and mind blowing on +2A, +3 or Pentagon machines.
    Moreover, if you will listen carefully, you will notice it's unique feature - entire game is a one standard block of BASIC. No code blocks of any kind!