Bub bub baaarrrr bub bub baaar baar baarrr!!! - For the love of weird and wondeful music.


I have a very eclectic taste in music and recently I have been discovering to a lot of Library music from the 70s particularly those Keith Prowse Music (KPM) which appear to stand out from the mediocre others. When I mean library music, I mean the stuff film, radio and tv stations used as theme tunes or background music. Incidentally, most theme tunes were not composed to order but came from library's intended for licence in TV shows, Films, radio and advertising.

It's a genre of music unlike no other, its soaring orchestral, brassy wonder, funky, sometimes funny and sometimes like a porno sound track, but I've really been enjoing it. Mind you the people who walk past my office have been giving me some odd looks as in 'what are you listening too?!?'
Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
Thanked by 1mel the bell

Comments

  • yeah love a nice bit of the old 50s, 60s, 70s funky, cheesy music, the stereo 2 lps i collect as they are just that lol
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • i was listening to tha pa thingie and i realy HAD to turn the volume down, probably becouse of the missing bass tune in my monitor but, probably, thats the only way to listen to it. "poapapappeaeaeae"
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • Another one:
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited September 22
    Crisis wrote: »
    i was listening to tha pa thingie and i realy HAD to turn the volume down, probably becouse of the missing bass tune in my monitor but, probably, thats the only way to listen to it. "poapapappeaeaeae"
    It really helps to have things warm and tight in the bottom end, that is what really makes this music really work on a level more than cheezy old background music.
    Post edited by Scottie_uk on
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited September 22
    Good choice Scottie, I've always like that sort of stuff, being a big fan of the cinema from that era.
    Makes me think of



    by good old Burt Bacharach.

    I've been having a search around in You Tube and found some good ones. But also noticed the address on some of the covers. Denmark street in London, a very famous musical street which use to hold the original Forbidden Planet.
    If you go there now, its like a island of old buildings surrounded by modern development, especially Tottenham Court Road station and Centre Point.
    Post edited by Luny on
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Ah yes Denmark Street as known as Tin Pan Alley. Somehow Denmark Street has much more gravitas. Here is another one you may know. This was one of the many excellent Keith Mansfield tracks to get famous because of a certain TV show. Can you remember which one?

    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Scottie_uk wrote: »
    Ah yes Denmark Street as known as Tin Pan Alley. Somehow Denmark Street has much more gravitas. Here is another one you may know. This was one of the many excellent Keith Mansfield tracks to get famous because of a certain TV show. Can you remember which one?
    That sounds like House of Fools. The Vic and Bob sit com.

    Post edited by Maroc's Other Projection on
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Luny wrote: »
    Good choice Scottie, I've always like that sort of stuff, being a big fan of the cinema from that era.
    Makes me think of



    by good old Burt Bacharach.

    I've been having a search around in You Tube and found some good ones. But also noticed the address on some of the covers. Denmark street in London, a very famous musical street which use to hold the original Forbidden Planet.
    If you go there now, its like a island of old buildings surrounded by modern development, especially Tottenham Court Road station and Centre Point.
    funnily enough the sex pistols have links to Denmark street too lol
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited September 23
    I imagine Vic and Bob regularly raid these archives. They use this type of stuff all the time. :)
    Their 'version' is a lot quicker on the tempo, but it does give that old sitcom feel doesn't it.
    Post edited by Luny on
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • OK, so being called Water Sports it was either for TV shows about surfing or background music for a porn. Either way it works. :)

    I still haven't got over the first time I ever saw one of those dodgy videos it had the music from Sale of the Century. Very off putting, thinking about Nicholas Parsons.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Library music is a wonderful thing.

    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited September 27
    I know its also Keith Mansfield's theme used in the Chanel 4 news, but it seems too modern and clean and synthesized for that film. The tune sounds more like it would suit a film about high class universities and law than frontier cowboys. For that film you would need more old timey fiddle music and maybe banjos, mountain dulcimer, but not big orchestras.
    Post edited by Scottie_uk on
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • If Carlsberg made porno music.....
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • If you like this kind of music, you should definitely consider our two Pieros - Piero Piccioni and Piero Umiliani.



  • You may sure know this one:
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited October 2
    Ah, memories of being a kid. You know, the more I think about the 70s as I get older the more I realise what a terrible era it was with Pedos, cover ups, strikes, power cuts and poor-ness. But when I hear stuff like that from the tele it reminds me of my own personal 70s, which being a kid and ignorance being bliss, it was great. I had a good time and I don't apologies for it. :)
    Post edited by Luny on
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
Sign In or Register to comment.