Arkanoid / Batty clones ?

Although there is an old 2008 topic here , I felt a new fresh one instead of posting into that seemed more appropriate as so much time has passed.

Some of the suggestions within were not quite what I'd of expected and as so

What I'm looking for is vertical rather than horizontal bat/ball clones of the above. I've always found the horizontal ones a bit strange. Same for those that are not quite the 'traditional' game aka HotShot. Nothing wrong with new features / enemies etc though.

So aside from Ark2 and 'Though The Wall' :D , are there any worthy ones to try out ?

Either modern releases or older games, I don't mind or care if its written in Basic, compiled or otherwise!, if it plays nice its good. :)

Thanks in advance for suggestions! :D

Comments

• Have you ever seen Infogrames - The Light Corridor.
    That's a bat and ball game but going into the screen? I always thought this was a good new spin on the game though others might disagree?
  • Ah yes seen that :) Its quite reasonable and I've seen a couple of other '3D' ones too. Thanks.

Is a bit of a mindplay to me though with another dimension of depth added to it. :D
  • A little unique: Specball
  • Not traditional, but as it wasn't mentioned in that old 2008 topic (I think - I didn't see the name being dropped), I'll mention Traz.
  • Thanks both. :)

Downloaded for later testing today. Could not find Specball 'here' but found it elsewhere.
  • spider wrote: »

What I'm looking for is vertical rather than horizontal bat/ball clones of the above. I've always found the horizontal ones a bit strange. Same for those that are not quite the 'traditional' game aka HotShot. Nothing wrong with new features / enemies etc though.

What about Demolition that came with the User Companion tape for the +? It's not as full featured as Batty or Arkanoid but it plays a lot better than Thro' the wall.

• There are quite a few here:-
    https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/comment/196507/#Comment_196507

It is annoying me that I cannot remember one of these .

I tried Krakout on Kempston but could not get it to work .
  • Ragnablock, by computer Emuzone in 2006. It's one of the games from what I call the Reawakening Era (approximately 2005-08), which were hard to come by outside of the occasional Cronosoft tape.
  • edited October 7
    Still looking, I think I'm just being too picky. :\">

Ark 1 looks to me visually better, I think too much shading in Ark 2 which slightly spoiled it on the Speccy..

Might have a go at adding a delay loop into Batty if I can, I suspect there might be something like a DJNZ already probably just need to increase the loop value a bit, probably only needs a drop of 30% ball speed.
    Post edited by spider on
  • Breakthru (US Gold) 1986
  • Breakthru (US Gold) 1986
    That seems to be a sideways scrolling "shoot em up" game ? :)

Quick link to its WOS page here

Not sure if you meant breakthru but that's by Outlet and is horizontal.

:)
  • I am sure I have another one but is its the loft and I have forgotten its name so I am not much use on this . There is definitely something to be said for organizing TZX games in folders of similar games ( in this case Bat games)

Update 26 Oct 2020 . Yes I found it in the loft . It is called "IMPACT" (ASL) 1987
  • I think Batty would be much erm 'fairer' if it was slower. I was unable to locate a built in delay loop aka DJNZ to extend. I may have to (thankfully there's space) insert something , a call to leap out of the main loop into a delay then back again, maybe.
  • edited October 26
    And I found this .I did not realize that lists like this were on WOS . So checkinh here will be my first port of call . I am not sure how many genres or sub genres or sub sub sub genres have been done like this but I will look out for it now:-

https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/games/smashout-digital-image

See the bit at the bottom where it says "Other Breakout Clones" - so all all the work has been done on this . I wonder what happens if I try my own sub genre "battle games AD 450 to 1450" - you never know your luck!
    Post edited by harriusherbartio on
  • edited October 27
    Hi spider,
    spider wrote: »
    I think Batty would be much erm 'fairer' if it was slower. I was unable to locate a built in delay loop aka DJNZ to extend. I may have to (thankfully there's space) insert something , a call to leap out of the main loop into a delay then back again, maybe.
    "DI" command is the main loop start at $BB38. You can redirect to your slowdown cycle from the next command:

$BB39  $CD $00 $5D      call  $5D00    ; redirect 
    $BB3C  $00              nop

$5D00  $21 $00 $04      ld hl, $0400   ; delay time
    $5D03  $2B              dec hl
    $5D04  $7C              ld a,h
    $5D05  $B5              or l
    $5D06  $20, $FB         jr nz, $5D03   ; wait loop
    $5D08  $DD $21 $54 $9B  ld ix,$9B54    ; original overwritten command
    $5D0C  $C9              ret

You can set any value in HL register and play on your best speed.

Pgyuri

Post edited by Pgyuri on
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Perfect thank you :D :D

I found a delay of $0600 or perhaps $0800 was fine!
  • Is there a way for any of us mere basic beings to make that change in the game?
  • edited October 27
    And I found this .I did not realize that lists like this were on WOS . So checkinh here will be my first port of call . I am not sure how many genres or sub genres or sub sub sub genres have been done like this but I will look out for it now:-

https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/games/smashout-digital-image

See the bit at the bottom where it says "Other Breakout Clones" - so all all the work has been done on this . I wonder what happens if I try my own sub genre "battle games AD 450 to 1450" - you never know your luck!

There were about 135 special groups defined.
    Of which, the clones categories are about 12. For example, Pacman, Minesweeper, and Chess.
    Post edited by Timmy on
    Thanked by 1harriusherbartio
  • Renegade wrote: »
    Is there a way for any of us mere basic beings to make that change in the game?

I'll assemble a .pok file later rather than a game patch (too many loader variations)
    Thanked by 1Renegade
  • Renegade wrote: »
    Is there a way for any of us mere basic beings to make that change in the game?

Ready ? :)
    POKE 23808 , 033
    POKE 23809 , 000
    POKE 23810 , 004 < DELAY LINE , TRY 018 (V. SLOW!) OR 010 (SLOW) OR 004 (BIT FASTER)
    POKE 23811 , 043
    POKE 23812 , 124
    POKE 23813 , 181
    POKE 23814 , 032
    POKE 23815 , 251
    POKE 23816 , 221
    POKE 23617 , 033
    POKE 23818 , 084
    POKE 23819 , 155
    POKE 23820 , 201
    POKE 47929 , 205
    POKE 47930 , 000
    POKE 47931 , 093
    POKE 47932 , 000

Additional bonus , POKE 47633 , XYZ . Change XYZ to your preferred starting lives. 7 or 10 seems sane and fair.

Problem with .pok files is Spin in particular has issues sometimes with larger pok files, could split it I guess or something. Might write a patch loader over weekend for the couple of loader variants for this.
    Thanked by 1Renegade
  • edited October 28
    Yes on my todo list. :) I see a typo in the above list due to my fault. I struggle with hex/dec conversions. I will mention that it is your works and I merely converted it to pokes, unless you'd rather submit yourself ? :) I'll leave it a day to be sure.

POKE 23617 , 033

Should be:

POKE 23817 , 033

But it may even be obvious as the lines above/below are all 238xx , xxx

If a mod would like to edit my post would be appreciated. There's no 'report this post' button :( here unfortunately. See here :D
    Post edited by spider on