Can anyone with experience of releasing AGD games help me out?

My game is finished. I also have a loading screen, and I also have a wee tune I made in Beepola for the menu screen. It's all ready to be put together. But I can't save it out of AGDX, and I don't know how to make a loader or how to add the music to the menu as I know nothing about Assembly. It's a big ask, but can anyone help me put it all together?

E6bBrRN.jpg

Comments

  • edited October 14
    If you still haven't got any help, I could try to help you. I have no experience in AGD however, but I've put tapes together before for all my own games.

    First step is to know which part of memory your game is going to take, and which part the music player will be located. They must be in different locations, obviously.

    If you don't know how that works or how to continue from there, you can post here or DM me.

    (I can make the tap file myself but I'd need to intermediate products.)
    Post edited by Timmy on
  • Have you posed this to Alan or David on the Happy Coding ZX page Alan runs on Facebook?

    Alan has done some videos etc about loading/saving data as a .bin file.
  • edited October 15
    Timmy wrote: »
    If you still haven't got any help, I could try to help you. I have no experience in AGD however, but I've put tapes together before for all my own games.

    First step is to know which part of memory your game is going to take, and which part the music player will be located. They must be in different locations, obviously.

    If you don't know how that works or how to continue from there, you can post here or DM me.

    (I can make the tap file myself but I'd need to intermediate products.)

    I created a Dropbox link with the Beepola save file, the loading screen and the game still loaded into AGDX if that helps? AGDX shows onscreen memory locations for individual parts of the game.
    Post edited by The Lone Magpie on
  • edited October 15
    Something like that.

    I can tell you what needs to be done, in a technical sense:

    1) We need to determine where we can put the music code inside the game where it doesn't collide with the rest of the game. To do that I (or you) will need to know which parts of the memory the game is using on a version without the AGDX (so someone has to compile it, either you or me).

    2) We will also have to determine how large the Beepola song is, including the player, to see if it fits.

    2a) We then decide on the starting address of the music routine + the song.

    3) With the code and music location determined, add a call in your game to call the music player during title screen. (You will have to do that.) And then export it. You can't test the game afterwards, because the call will be to a place without the music player installed.

    4) We export the Beepola song at the decided starting address.

    5) With the compiled game, the music export code and the loading screen (all binaries), I can use a tap file editor to stitch them together, and I will add (and write) a specialised loading program for it.

    6) Then a tap file is ready to test.

    So yes, it's a lot of work and some bits back and forth.

    The more you can do at the 1) 2) 2a) 3) and 4) the less I need to do. :) But if not, it just costs me a bit more time.

    (Lots of edits to clarify the things needed to be done.)
    Post edited by Timmy on
Sign In or Register to comment.