Disassembly's I'd love to see

This is not meant as some kind of request thread, as that would be grossly cheeky to ask for (however muchI wanted it) but I somehow felt a need to post this anyway, figuring there's a chance that someone may actually be considering or have one in progress. :)

Relatively simple games too in some cases perhaps. I did try myself a couple of years ago with limited (little) success on one game, but that's partly my interpretation of Z80 and partly not really understanding how to use SkoolKit properly, to be even fairer its had a few updates since then so it may be easier and my Z80 is also a tad better since then.

Anyway, in no particular order

Space Raiders (Not much code!)
Wanted Monty Mole
Kokotoni Wilf
Horace Goes Skiing (Realise there's an excellent Hungry Horace one)
Batty (Chose this over Arkanoid)
Ant Attack (half thought this existed)
Roller Coaster
Beach Head
Finders Keepers
Worse Things Happen At Sea (as its such an unusual game all in all)
Penetrator (or Chronos perhaps but I was thinking an early scrolly game)
Saboteur (either 1 or 2)
Wheelie
Three Weeks In Paradise (Realise there's an excellent one of Pyjamarama)
Gillian's Gold (There's some kind of weird charm to this despite it being crude and buggy)
Cybernoid
Daley Thompson's SuperTest (or Decathlon)
Elite

I should say I don't list my "fave games" here, some of these although I've obviously played them all they would likely not be part of my favourite 'desert island tapes' collection, but they in some ways stand on their own merits.

Comments

• Ant Attack and Cybernoid disassemblies can be found here

Regards,
    Derek.
    1985: ZX Spectrum+ 48K Interface 1 ZX81 16KB ASZMIC/SP ROM Philips 12" B/W TV Epson Dot Matrix Printer ZX Printer Now: Late 2015 iMac 5K 27" 4GHz i7 32GB RAM macOS 10.15.7 1TB Ext SSD USB C Drive Ext 4TB 3TB and 2TB USB 3 Hard Disks Ext USB 3 Blu-Ray iPad R7 32GB iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 14.0.1 Apple TV Gen 2
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited October 18
    Thank you. :) I did realise I'd forgotten one but I could not get back online in time to edit my post, but it was 'Slippery Sid' for what its worth, as even now its not a bad 'snake/centipede' type game, tried a few alternatives and usually came back to this one, perhaps for its simplicity.

EDIT: Extra thanks as I noted some info on the W.E SP-Dos unit too, something I was reminded of only a few days ago when I noted an advert for it, I'd completely forgotten about this disk interface and it was on my "todo" list to find out more about it.
    Post edited by spider on
  • Disassembly's you linked to are a good starting point thank you, also in other formats (I tend to look at the SkoolKit html if its there first) which is excellent.

Realise there's no comments as such as that takes ages and the main routines are split neatly so with a bit of care and I think even for me inserting breakpoints into a "not sure what this does" routine and then seeing when it gets triggered etc is a way for me to figure things out.

^ That's positive comments. :)
  • edited October 18
    spider wrote: »
    Realise there's no comments as such as that takes ages
    I agree that the current disassemblies are only at the initial stage of being fleshed out. When I posted them, I thought that I would be updating them with comments as I worked on them further but, to date, that hasn't happened :(

One day maybe...

Glad that you are finding them useful anyway.

Regards,
    Derek.
    Post edited by dbolli on
    1985: ZX Spectrum+ 48K Interface 1 ZX81 16KB ASZMIC/SP ROM Philips 12" B/W TV Epson Dot Matrix Printer ZX Printer Now: Late 2015 iMac 5K 27" 4GHz i7 32GB RAM macOS 10.15.7 1TB Ext SSD USB C Drive Ext 4TB 3TB and 2TB USB 3 Hard Disks Ext USB 3 Blu-Ray iPad R7 32GB iPhone 6s 64GB iOS 14.0.1 Apple TV Gen 2
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Thanks again Derek,

They -are- appreciated. Realise things like time and perhaps enthusiasm or maybe motivation (happens for me at least) can slow or hold things. No problem.

• If SkoolKit doesn't appeal, IDA 3.7 Freeware (google ida37fw.zip) can disassemble Z80 code - save the game as a .SNA file, then launch IDA with
    ida -c -pz80 <path to SNA file>

and load it at segment 0x1000, offset 0x3FE5. If you want to get fancy, you can then execute a script I've written (SNA.IDC) which marks the Z80 registers and Spectrum system variables.
    Thanked by 1spider