Denis Through The Drinking Glass - Crash Review

Check this out - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/playonline.php?eml=2&downid=38341

A barely playable text adventure. Give it a go without a guide and tell me how far you get.

Then check out this review, courtesy of Crash.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxsr.php?id=6164

Madness. 85% for playability? I still have no idea, forty years later, what a 'purdy' is.

Comments

• edited October 19
    It's a misspelling of Purdey (James Purdey), a gunsmiths known for making very expensive shotguns which are usually just referred to as "Purdeys" and much favoured by the monied/gentrified classes, especially for blasting grouse out of the sky on the so called glorious 12th.
    Post edited by moggy on
  • I love the fact that you have no clue what is in each direction, and most directions are sudden death.
  • Pobbit wrote: »
    I love the fact that you have no clue what is in each direction, and most directions are sudden death.

Examine not being a recognised verb is cool too. And the fact that you can't make one mistake or else you'll die of sobriety. And typing 'HELP' just returns 'get knotted.'

• moggy wrote: »
    It's a misspelling of Purdey (James Purdey), a gunsmiths known for making very expensive shotguns which are usually just referred to as "Purdeys" and much favoured by the monied/gentrified class especially for blasting grouse out of the sky on the so called glorious 12th.

AH!!!!

Mystery solved.
  • edited October 19
    Are you one of those people who complains that Manic Miner isn't a good game because it's not in 3D, or that it doesn't have 128k music, or that you die really easily, or that it was released in 1983?

Well, Denis Through the Drinking Glass is another 1983 game. And it was probably a good game at the time. Back in 1983, adventure games were already good when it was in machine code. And this one was written in Quill, too, also released in 1983.

What you probably also missed is that there are instructions available. You can probably find them in the archive sites. I only tried the one on this site.

Also in 1983, words like "examine" in adventure games weren't in fashion yet. In this game, they used "look", while "r" is for "redescribe". (I got "look" before looking at the instructions, so it's not even hard.)

Bonus points for being a parody/satire/whatever (sorry, my english fails me here), or that all the location descriptions are in rhyme. It was also very contemporary in 1983 with a game about Thatcher (possibly, I was too young back then).

TL;DR This is probably a nice little game, for a 1983 text adventure. It's also fine if you don't like it. 10 turn deaths are considered harsh nowadays. I'd probably play it with a "POKE" (well, I say poke but I mean I'd strip the really unplayable parts out of the game using an editor. Or with a guide.)
    Post edited by Timmy on
  • Timmy wrote: »
    Are you one of those people who complains that Manic Miner isn't a good game because it's not in 3D, or that it doesn't have 128k music, or that you die really easily, or that it was released in 1983?

Yeah, that's why I'm on a Speccy forum... ;)

Denis is barely playable by text adventure standards. The writing can be amusing but for a game to have such a limited parser to then have limited moves, it's just far too difficult.

I shouldn't have to use POKEs or guides.

• There was a sequel to this - The Tebbit - but it was pulled due to the Brighton Bombing I believe?
    No one important.
  • Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    Denis is barely playable by text adventure standards. The writing can be amusing but for a game to have such a limited parser to then have limited moves, it's just far too difficult.
    For you, maybe. After playing a few times I think it's more or less of moderate difficulty. But then again I've played many adventure games.

Also, in 1983, no one would pay for an easy game that can be finished in less than the time it needs to be loaded.
    I shouldn't have to use POKEs or guides.

Some people who bought it in 1983/1984, could finish the game without POKEs or Guides (but with instructions). I could very likely finish the game without those tools too, but that doesn't mean I can't use them for a bit more enjoyable experience. And some people will never be able to finish the game without POKEs or guides (someone I know can't read English, for example), but that's not a problem of the game there.