Best achievement in a Speccy game

I'm rubbish at most games. I can complete Atic Atac, Manic Miner, Highway Encounter, Skool Daze and er, Bruce Lee. That's about it.

However on playing Skool Daze the other day I managed to go up a year without getting any lines at all. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Of course I got a couple of lucky breaks along the way, but I'm pretty amazed at this feat.

What's been your best achievement on a Spectrum game?

Comments

• edited October 20
    Completing Camelot Warriors, which is something I never ever want to do ever again!

Oh and managing to beat Gus at Tug O’ War in Supertest. I’ve told the story on here before, and I actually injured myself doing it :))
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I suppose it's completing Aliens, UK version. Yep, I used rollback, but even with that it was still a major pita.
  • Nomen Luni wrote: »
    I'm rubbish at most games. I can complete Atic Atac, Manic Miner, Highway Encounter, Skool Daze and er, Bruce Lee. That's about it.

I think Atic Atac might be the only game I've completed on the Speccy! (looks sheepish)
  • Nomen Luni wrote: »
    I can complete Manic Miner

Thats no small achievement.

When finally taking down Big Bertha in Renegade, by realising that you had to kick her mid-run in the same manner as motorbikes, I punched the air so hard I pulled a muscle in my arm and couldn't write for a couple of days. The teachers thought this a very odd excuse.
  • Completing Camelot Warriors, which is something I never ever want to do ever again!

Oh and managing to beat Gus at Tug O’ War in Supertest. I’ve told the story on here before, and I actually injured myself doing it :))

I had this really weird way of beating the opponents in the Tug 'O War. Can't remember if I ever beat Gus but I definitely beat the one just before him. I had one of those old Atari joysticks and it wasn't a case of waggling it as fast as I could. I'd push down on the top of the joystick (quite hard) and then rhythmically go left and right at what would be a fairly slow pace. And for some insane reason it would work! I have no idea how I came up with that system - and it was a good job those joysticks could stand up to some punishment.

I was the third person to complete Three Weeks In Paradise. I actually phoned Mikro-Gen and asked them if I was the first. I beat it on release day and couldn't believe it. I didn't tell them that I accidentally found the infinite lives cheat though - I got nobbled by that native who walks between screens, mashed the keyboard in anger, got a funny noise and... infinite lives!
  • I beat a lot of them back on the day, but I think it was completing Head Over Heels with all the crowns that I'd say was the best achievement. Took me years to finally figure out Blacktooth, as there was a bit you could walk off the side of the screen (rather than through a door) that wasn't at all obvious, from what I remember. Probably couldn't do it now though!
  • edited October 21
    Vampyre wrote: »
    I didn't tell them that I accidentally found the infinite lives cheat though - I got nobbled by that native who walks between screens, mashed the keyboard in anger, got a funny noise and... infinite lives!

I accidentally found the "cheat" in Mugsy as a kid. Out of boredom/not knowing how to play the game properly, I typed "12345678910" as a response to "how many to buy from the syndicate this year" and ended up with loads of money and clients. It's not particularly helpful though and pretty much breaks the game, but it was still a cool thing to accidentally stumble across. :)
    Post edited by GreenCard on
  • I managed to complete Wriggler once. Usually I end up going round in circles in the underground section, but one day, by complete accident, I managed to get onto some new screens which eventually led me to the finish line.
  • Well, I activated infinite lives cheat in Side Arms accidentally (don't know how still).
    IIRK, I have done this games without any cheats: Benny Hill, BruceLee, Curse of Sherwood, Raid over Moscow, Freddie Hardest 1, Game over 1(never again), Goonies, Hong Kong Phooey, IJ Temple of Doom, Kane, Metal Army, Cyclone, Stop the Express, Robin Hood (CM).
    But most funniest thing: My bones save the princess in Ghost 'n Goblins final. I died just under(?) her, but the game considers it as a success :)
  • Completing the Rocky Horror Show with literally 1 second to spare!
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • I used to be a bit rubbish at Speccy games, and had no patience to even have a proper attempt at completing any of them, even though I liked a lot of them. Since starting my comparison blog 7 (?) years ago, I've been completing Speccy games on a semi-regular basis. I have to say, one of the hardest to beat was 180!, because the game controls a bit differently on all platforms. Sabre Wulf was also a bit of a bother, because it's really hard to keep a track of your whereabouts in it.

Other Speccy games I've beaten: Jet Pac*, Cookie*, Pssst*, Bruce Lee, Zorro, Batman the Movie, Goonies, Stop the Express, l'Abbaye des Morts, Scumball, Ghostbusters, Kong Strikes Back*, Raid Over Moscow, Beach-Head, Rambo, Saboteur! and Saboteur II (neither on very high difficulty settings, though), UWOL - Quest for Money, Rallybug, Aliens - Neoplasma and some AGD games like Kyd Cadet and some others which I've forgotten the names of.

* = if you count looping the game once through as a completion.
  • I typed random Randomize USRs and ended up seeing the end of Strip Poker (the first one) without knowing anything about machine code.
  • zxbruno wrote: »
    I typed random Randomize USRs and ended up seeing the end of Strip Poker (the first one) without knowing anything about machine code.

trail ON error
    we did aexactly the same !!!

about the game :
    glass, quite swift those pilars
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • I've completed WTSS loads of times but i guess it's more luck than anything as monsters sometimes appear at random.
    Also completed The Great Escape after taking a few weeks to work out the correct combination of items to take.
    I also completed Mikie only to discover it loops back to the start so doesn't really end.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg