Best of the Major Clone Groups on WOS

edited October 29 in Games
There is a list of major clone groups on WOS:-

https://worldofspectrum.net/archive/features.html

The aim of this thread is to find the best one from each group . Any ideas? The major clone group is shown at the bottom of the page. The idea would be for WOSERS to mention their favourite from one or as many as they want to do with reasons why etc.
Post edited by harriusherbartio on

Comments

• edited October 29
    What the hell is a CLONE GROUP? A flock of sheep? Major or minor, its a term I am unfamiliar with.
    Post edited by mik3d3nch on
  • Easy, every single game in each group is the best.

You can prove me wrong by playing every group of games for an hour and tell me which one is better... It's faster than typing a whole post (for me at least).
  • mik3d3nch wrote: »
    What the hell is a CLONE GROUP? A flock of sheep? Major or minor, its a term I am unfamiliar with.

Hey Mike he means clones of other games and such.

Like Pac-Man clones, Frogger Clones, Space Invader Clones and so forth, copies of, homages to, or even improvements to an already existing idea. Of course a lot of clones are p*ss-poor imitations that fall short of the mark quite often, but there are some good ones out there.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
    Thanked by 1mik3d3nch
  • As an example, is Dandy a clone of Gauntlet or Gauntlet a clone of Dandy?
  • edited October 30
    Is the term "CLONE" ( or clone group) unsatisfactory ?

OK maybe it is but it does seem to be used on the main WOS site . If you look for a game like "BLITZ" and click on that then it refers you to "Other Clones of Blitz". So the term "Clone" does appear to have been accepted as usable on the main WOS site ( I think).

Is it possibe that there are "WOS" spawns out there? If so I apologise for going into uncharted territory . I suppose I just accepted the term "clone" as "other peoples conceptual work" and therefore worthy of respect . So I thought they were referring to a broad group of games that could be said to have derived in some way from a "major" work . This in itself is tricky as it involves the idea that one "work" is more important than another . I suppose I sort of thought that this was the direction that WOS had gone in . So it seemed (with what I thought I knew) to sort of make sense to align a bit with what had been "done before".It now seems that this idea of what had been "done before" could have been a bit of a misconception . The idea of "clone groups" does seem a bit odd ( so sorry I did not take a "broader" view)

So forgetting "clone" groups , what then is the best way of describing similar sorts of games and putting them into broad categories and then refining down from there if required? Words like "category " or "genre" spring to mind but there could be something better.

Here it is :-

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2947
  • arttu wrote: »
    As an example, is Dandy a clone of Gauntlet or Gauntlet a clone of Dandy?
    Neither. Dandy is quite different from Gauntlet apart from the overhead view.

Dandy came first (but not on Speccy), Gauntlet achieved wider fame. If we were using that term, I'd suggest that 'Gauntlet clone' would be the one to go with as it was more popular. Wolfenstein preceded Doom, but for the longest time all FPS were referred to generically as 'Doom clones' due to Doom being the publicly known reference point.

• So there appears to be 2 issues

1) The WOS issues
    2) The question of whether this use of "clone" in this context is a good idea.
  • So there appears to be 2 issues

1) The WOS issues
    2) The question of whether this use of "clone" in this context is a good idea.

Sorry mate! I wasn't being a pain in the arse on purpose, I just had never heard the word used in that context before. I'm out of touch, my wife had to explain what a 'meme' was!
  • edited October 30
    I am the same . Still at least the question of the "right words to use" can be discussed! (serious stuff)

And so this thread is formally renamed as :- "The Best Games within each of the Major Sub-Genres" (Also mistakenly sometimes called "clones")
    This "clone" area is all new to me as I did not get into this side of "ARCADE" stuff much first time around . So maybe there some others ,like me, who now will want to explore this unique BASIC arcade treasure trove and maybe learn a bit , as they look around ,about how it was all done back then!
  • Hmm, the inexactitude of what is actually a ‘clone’ or a ‘copy’...

And how this differs depending on who or what you are and your point of view on the matter.

What we call a clone when referring to a mammal, generally we mean that the clone has the same DNA as the animal it was cloned from. But when it comes to computing, it has a different meaning, in that it means something that looks similar, but is not exactly the same.

Ahh, humans and their vague languages...

<Spock, quick, beam me up and take me back to Vulcan!>

Mark
    Thanked by 1harriusherbartio
  • A lot of the early Spectrum stuff was clones of popular arcade games such as Space Invaders or Phoenix. A lot of bat and ball games as well. Such as Batty and Arkanoid which are so similar they are only separated by title (and Batty is the best!).
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
    Thanked by 1harriusherbartio
  • edited October 31
    Some of the differing approaches that can be used:-

Yup so it is now possible to take a "big picture look at it . How many ways sre there of doing it?

1) The Clone Approach . Well this was very useful a big "thank you" to the guys who dreamt this up and put the work in . We now have quite a few categories like this. One slight problem with this approach is that you run out of "clone road" pretty quickly because you can only go "so far" with it . And there is always the lurking question of whether the games are "clones" or "brilliant stand alone" efforts in their own right .

2) The "hard" categorization approach . Each game is only allowed "one shot" at it . Each game can only be fitted into ONE category or sub genre .

3) Mutli-slicing and dicing of the "Spectrum software cake" is allowed so in theory one game can be included loads of times in all the "sub categories under the sun" . There is no limit to the number of Speccy categories though each game can only be included once in each of these!!.

4) "EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING ON BOARD ": This approach could be even broader . On the "clone page" link on WOS ( see above) there are loads of other feature included ( eg Lenslok and similar) . So this this approach "ad hoc" features can be included . And people can "make up" their own categories "to taste" . For instance , I could make up my own "PWI" ( playable without instructions genre) from the existing ideas contributed by WOSSERS ( in fact I might just do that) . So with this appraoch unique individual ideas and conceptual sub categories can all be "thrown in".

• fe9d1002b4eeff04034e4caf35e26c10_400x400.jpeg
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Yes I agree entirely