THE best arcade conversion??

edited June 2005 in Games
After thinking about the ZX Club Hypersports and other games such as Flying Shark what do you think is the best arcade conversion. What makes the grade for that game do you think?

For meee, I'm off to ponder... so many!
Post edited by Spectea_um on

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Chase HQ 128 is a fabulous bench mark in Spectrum history from within a time where Ocean were pumping out the greats!

The use of Ay and Beep sound to maximise the voices available for digitised speech and car sounds. The intro tune really gets things going after a really effective Miami Vice type of loading screen. The cops, groovy two guys on the right and wrong side of the law!

The game is magnificently smooth with great pace as it zzzooms and swings through the road layout. Tunels and helicopters add elements to the path to your escaping criminal. You want to bear down and get 'em as the siron is on and your turbo is maxing... run them off the road, timing turbos around bends and other vehicles and obstacles.

Tougher and tougher areas to race through make this one load 128K version trully a Spectrum racing experince. After WEC Le Mans demonstrated what could be done in an engaging road game Chase HQ took it further with a tight package of superbly realised code.
  • edited June 2005
    Bomj Jack is a terrific conversion. I prefer it on the Spectrum to the original on MAME.
  • edited June 2005
    Rastan was and is big sword play. Double headed polaxes, leaping and sdwinging on ropes, not so grabbed as Psion and Melbourne Houses Horace and The Spiders. Swing, hack and leap whilst under constant attack from ..well everything. Ohhh, nice use of white and bright settings, nice old stone wall with arches I was thinking as the denezin ran, flew and basically came for me.

A game I played and played, it looked magnificent on my Black & White TV and opened up to full colour!! The large play areas and death traps with the excellently drawn selection of the bowles of evel that attack. Learning responces and the fighting moves makes the game big and a challenge of sword play that a barbarian would like. there are few others apart from Barbarian from Palace that really hack and slash the way Rastan does straight from the arcades.

Groovy!!!
  • edited June 2005
    Eer not so grabbed in swinging since Melbourne Houses Horace and the Spiders.

• edited June 2005
    Green Beret is a great arcade conversion.

Daren
  • edited June 2005
    Green Beret is an excellent arcade conversion, another 48K nice little complete package!

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=9199&forum=2&11

:o))
  • edited June 2005
    Still easily sticking with Ocean/ Imagine I am thinking of the excellent Gryzor!

Big big big big
    Guns, 3D perspective bits and control rooms to attack. Large end of section/ level enemies and the first BIG accolade from the Spectrum magazines for arcade conversions due to the scale of the task and the scale of the acheivement!!!

A superb 128K single load game. the musci keeps playing and playing. AY driven gameplay.
  • edited June 2005
    Rainbow Islands is a classic arcade conversion for platform fans. The realisation of the Spectrum version is so playable and carries off the task of Spectruming the arcade machine superbly. People were continuously impressed with the Spectrum acheivements.

Maybe partly due to the myth of its colour problems carried thorugh much of the software industry. Although not the most agile colour computer the results of maximising the Z80 processor and board design thorugh clever design showed stunning results.

Ooohh look at all the colour in Rainbow Islands. :o))
  • edited June 2005
    All these newer later games....

Spy hunter is a US Gold classic, simple and engageing gameplay with effective devices you take from a truck by slowing, positioning and climbing the ramp. With brigdes out you take to the water, always watchful for enemy.

Superbly detailed and rendered a game from around 1986. Such a classic that Spy Hunter has been revisited on modern games consoles... oh can't remember which though.

Perhaps as classic then as Space Invaders and Frogger.
  • edited June 2005
    Perhaps impossible to find the greatest arcade conversion as there have been soo many! Inmteresting though to consider acheivements and expressed ideas and opinion.

Of course playing and appreciating a large piece of predominantly English and UK gaming history. We don't forget the other European countries contributions and interests though.

• edited June 2005
    Don't know if it's the best conversion but the one I played most was Ghost's and Goblins
  • edited June 2005
    Nice conversion. Best? I think I am meaning the one that is the greatest acheivement in terms of a gaming and artistic translation to the Spectrum. Elite published many excellent games, another is Space Harrier.

Not available for download from WOS as I believe Elite games have been restricted. If you like Ghosts n Goblins perhaps try and find a copt through a WOS forum or link.
  • edited June 2005
    Ghost's and Goblins, I get the games confused as there were tow games on the SPectrum.

Space Harrier though is another great Elite conversion!
  • edited June 2005
    Bubble Bobble
  • edited June 2005
    Very nice!

Bubble Bobble has really honed game play, especially in 2 player mode and the use of grahics for the platforms and play areas make it really magnificent.

The Tim Follin 128K sound adds an extra dimenion to the game play also. On a 48K machine the beep programming responds favourably and it plays exactly the same. :o)
  • edited June 2005
    Pac-mania was a classy conversion. Commando was awsome too. Or maby ArkanoidII?
  • edited June 2005
    bomb jack
    bubble bobble
    metrocross
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited June 2005
    Arkanoid re-invented the ball and wall game that is still so well explored today. A popular PC shareware game varient.

Arkanoid on the Spectrum is very simple. The use of coloured blocks and 'bright' colour use maximises simple and effective Spectrum screen attributes.

It plays magnificently on a 48K also and is an excellent conversion. The Arkanoid type games continue to draw interest. Arkanoid2 utilises the Spectrums monochrome techniques superbly and with the AY sound support creates an evolved expression of 'arcade' without taking anything away from the first.

If you like Bat and ball games then try the Infrogrammes Light Corridor game (respectfully of course). Should be on WOS.

• edited June 2005
    Pacmania if I remember is a 3D like game with jumping Pacman and the usual dot collecting. I purchased this Granslam game that may have been on an offer at the time and think it has proven consistant and excellent value!

Pacman started life on Spectrum conversion for many peoples eary efforts and was always fun to see. PacMania is something more moderna dn refined.

Try the Pacman game from Bubble Bus.
  • edited June 2005
    Haven't got into Metrocross, I think it is a US Gold game. I may have a copy somewhere, some sort of 3D like road game.

I still like the use of backgrounds in Bomberman as they add that groovy to look at whilst playing the game. Lovlie!!!
  • edited June 2005
  • edited June 2005
    star wars. renegade. puzznic was good but no nudy pictures. rainbow islands was pretty good as a conversion too.
  • edited June 2005
    R-Type

A very ambitious conversion. At the time lots of developers were playing it safe with conversions, games like Slap Fight had arrived on the Spectrum devoid of colour with features stripped from the game. I had got so used to getting short changed that R-Type was real surprise.

Solomons Key, could have been great. Pity the conversion left out most of the levels and most of the secrets with no good reason.

Yes, Ghosts N' Goblins was extremely faithful to the original though I have to admit I ended up preferring the Amiga version. The Spectrum version was insanely difficult in a few areas.

Space Harrier? Take away the dedicated hydraulic cabinet, fancy graphics and fantastic music what are you left with? Not much gameplay thats what. I always felt Sega pulled the wool over peoples eyes with these vapid games, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Afterburner etc. they're all practically the same game with different graphics and absolutely zero depth. Move around the screen a bit. Dodge. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot.
  • edited June 2005
    Midnight Resistance - A very dull Metal Slug rip-off becomes a rather excellent cartoony shooter. Well 128k version only I guess - without the tunes and the lack of loading it's no-where near as fun.

My second favorite platformy shooter after Probotector/Contra 4 on the Megadrive.

• edited June 2005
    Midnight Resistance is a big and colourful blast. Not mission impossible to finnish, but a rewarding fight that still takes me back for another go.

Big, chunky and sull of amusing graphics. It carries something of the heasrt of Cabal athough being fast paces there isn't so much time for your soldier to smile. :o)

The 128K version is magnificent with the 48K versionbeing a respectful and fine version of the game. Sometimes the 128K and resources does gives something extra. Sometimes though the classic remain in 48K as the resopurces have been so well utilised.
  • edited June 2005
    R-Type is a great 48K game. It only really lives when you play it. Big and clunky excellent use of colour opens up to a really impressive conversion when you give it some time.

I sneakily prefer the downloadable reworked version where all the levels have been worked into a 128K version. Wellll I got a 128K+ and got spoiled with not playing bwwWWeeep load tapes all day :o))

Space harrie is a nice little responsive game with runnig on the ground and basically having full movement about the screen. Difficult though.
  • edited June 2005
    wow, you post a lot!

Space Harrier is an impressive conversion of a rubbish arcade game and as such is still no fun to play.

Green Bert improves on the arcade original in some ways.

• edited June 2005
    TAPPER is a cracking conversion of the arcade game.

• edited June 2005
    On 2005-06-19 02:51, Bluce_Ree wrote:
    wow, you post a lot!

Space Harrier is an impressive conversion of a rubbish arcade game and as such is still no fun to play.

Green Bert improves on the arcade original in some ways.

I have to say I love Space Harrier/Galaxy Force/Panzer Dragoon/Rez etc. I know they're all about impressive gfx - but on the right machine the frenzy of dodging and destroying is really really good fun. Galaxy Force was best in the arcades when you had the absolutely huge hydraulic cabinet :D Ahhh, for the time when arcades used to be good..

• edited June 2005
    I have to say I love Space Harrier/Galaxy Force/Panzer Dragoon/Rez etc. I know they're all about impressive gfx - but on the right machine the frenzy of dodging and destroying is really really good fun.

Rez is one of the greatest games ever.

I can never sell my Dreamcast just incase I feel the need to see Level 5 on Rez, which is pretty much a work of art.