What other 'retrotech' are you into, what hardware do you own?

edited August 2002 in Sinclair Miscellaneous
I suppose talking about machines, hardware & software other than Sinclair is off-topic, but my retro collection was kick-started at WoS!

I had heard about Emulators, and after surfing the net found my way here. Then someone on these forums generally donated to me their ZX Spectrum, assorted software and hardware. :) And so, my hobby of collecting 'retro-tech' began...

I buy stuff 2nd hand, from car boot sales, jumble sales, charity shops, junk shops, and I work for an Auctioneers too ( I recently got a Model 16 TRS-80 for a ?2 bid!). I sell some stuff on e-bay to raise funds too, (my seller i.d is thx1138ebn)

apart from the working Spectrum, and joystick interfaces and hardware, the highlights of my retro collection include;

Commodore 64
SEGA Master mk1
SEGA Master mk2
SEGA Megadrive mk1
SEGA Megadrive mk2
Sega Saturn
Nintendo NES
Nintendo SNES
Nintendo Gameboy
Various 'pong' machines
Tandy TRS-80 model 100 laptop

small collection of retro calculators, including a Tandy SR-52, various red led's such as Texet, and Commodore.

Lots, of literature, all 52 copies of INPUT (also from the generous WoS user :) )
piles of older magazines including
Kilobaud
Creative Computing
Byte

and more books about BASIC than nost people . :)

I think I am becoming addicted to collecting though, sometimes I think the thrill of the chase is more fun than using the hardware. I get quite excitable when I first get to a carboot sale to look around.

One of the things on my 'to do' list, is to write a decent BASIC programme, all on my own, on the Spectrum. As soon as I finish my 'A'-level this summer (yes, a bit late I know I am 30years old) that's just what I am going to do. Heh - I submitted a short story about the ZX Spectrum for one of my modules.

Oh well enough rambling, I should really be writing an essay about Much Ado About Nothing.....

Thank's WoS for kick-starting my hobby.

Post edited by thx1138 on

Comments

• edited April 2002
    Well, I have a 'small' collection of retro hardware too... I own:

2x Zx Spectrum 48k (with IF1 and +D)
    Spectrum 48k+
    Spectrum +2a
    QL (!!!)
    Nintendo (NES)
    Super Nintendo (SNES)
    Nintendo Gameboy
    Commodore 64
    Commodore 1541

...of all this stuff, I'm just sorry to see I can't really do much with my QL...
  • edited April 2002
    I own one copy of QL User, I didn't even know they made such a magazine until last week, it couldn't have been a big seller, as it appears to be a bi-monthly edition.
  • edited April 2002
    My retro collection is vastly growing, although I do sell some stuff on eBay.

My collection,

Every model of Speccy + loads of interfaces to go with them.
    2x Atari 800XL/Atari 65XE/Atari 1050 Disk Drive/Atari 1020 Printer/Atari VCS 7800/Atari 1040 STF/Atari 520 STfm/Atari 520STe/Atari SM124 Mono Monitor/Atari VCS 2600/Commodore 64/Commodore Amigas x3/Commodore 1084S Monitor/Sega Megadrive 1 & 2/Sega Master System 2/Nintendo NES/Nintendo SNES/Amstrad CPC 464 x2/Amstrad CPC 6128/Amstrad PCW9512 and a good old Sinclair ZX81.....plus loads more but will take far too long to list !

• edited April 2002
    Wow, all I've got is a Speccy 128, Gameboy and Game Gear. Where do you keep all those mountains of stuff thx1138?
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited April 2002
    Well, picture if you will a 3 bedroom terrace house...

Downstairs is extended, and our lounge is one of those 'two-in-to-one' knock throughs with an RSJ.

One half of that lounge, has two office desks in. Most of the consoles are on that, and on the dining table. The rest is in one of the spare bedrooms.

I have taken a few photos earlier thsi year, I shall a link when I get them devleoped.
  • edited April 2002
    I've got a c64 which I keep in a damp cellar (no really) just out of spite. I broke the 'datacorder' when I took it apart. I know this isn't the place but when I don't have my 'I hate commmodre' hat on I wouldn't mind buying another one if anyone has one going at a reasonable price.
    I also have 3 amigas (surely to my mind the spirtual sucessor to the speccy) and an Atari Jaguar and some other crap I found at car boot sales.
    But tell me this folks, how come at 'boot sales I can't move for cpcs,c64's and battered amigas, but very few spectrums?
    I'll tell you why, you rarely find anyhting worth buying at car boot sales!.
    (except once when I bought a black sabbath record for 50p)
  • edited April 2002
    Well, my collection isn't very big for now, but...

Black ZX SPECTRUM 128K +
    Timex 128K
    Elwro 800 XL Junior 64K (ZX clone)
    C64 (in old case - beautiful)
    Atari 800 (previous version of Atari 65)
    Amiga 500 1MB
    Atari 520
    Atari 1040

Greetz,
    Yerzmyey/H-PRG
  • edited April 2002
    On 2002-04-08 10:29, Anonymous wrote:
    Well, my collection isn't very big for now, but...

Black ZX SPECTRUM 128K +
    Timex 128K
    Elwro 800 XL Junior 64K (ZX clone)
    C64 (in old case - beautiful)
    Atari 800 (previous version of Atari 65)
    Amiga 500 1MB
    Atari 520
    Atari 1040

Greetz,
    Yerzmyey/H-PRG

Shit, I forgot about GameBoy (black&white), I don't know if it counts or not. ;)
  • edited April 2002
    Gameboy counts, sure.

I remember when I had just left school, reading a review of one in C&VG magazine,and started saving for one right away! On paper the Atari Lynx looked better, but the Gameboy sure had staying power. I picked one up for ?3 last week :)

Sharplois - I have a 'working' C64 if you want to trade it for something? Well, the sound apears to be faulty, but I have loaded software in and played it succesfully.

Re: Carboot's I agree to a point. Traders are just starting to cotton on to 'all things retro' now too, and they seem to infiltrate the boot sales, and put a minimum ?5 on nearly everything.

But, there are still bargains to be had. I picked up a very early Commodore LED calculator for 50 pence Sunday before last.

I wil often buy 'anything' if it is cheap enough..... i.e Picked up a non-working Tandy for a ?1 (boxed), bided my time and picked up a working Tandy (not-boxed)......... and sold it on.

• edited April 2002
    Oh, you wanted a 'datacorder, sorry. :)

I have a C64 datacorder, boxed for sale/or to swap for Spectrum stuff. (P&P will be ?5 in the UK if you want to buy it not swap it)

my e-mail

thx1138@ntlworld.com
  • edited April 2002
    My mate picked up a spectravideo computer, still boxed at a boot sale on saturday, for just a few quid ...

http://pelikonepeijoonit.net/kuvat/C4e1_27.jpg

Never heard on it before then!
  • edited April 2002
    That last post was mine btw - forgot to sign in!
  • edited April 2002
    Hi,

I didn't really think of my bits and pieces as a collection but suppose it is really.

I have:

2 ZX Spectrum + (one working, one not!)
    ZX Spectrum +3
    and quite a few games.
    Various add-ons for the above (ZX printer, Multiface, etc)
    Commodore Amiga A500+
    Nintendo NES
    Nintendo Gameboy
    Sega Megadrive 1 (faulty)
    Sega Megadrive 2
    2 Old "PONG" type machines

and an old 386sx PC, which must be slightly retro. It's so old it's massive and weighs a ton!!

I know I really should just just throw the faulty units but they hold somewhat of a sentimental value (got them as presents, etc), and I just can't bring myself to bin them!!

Thanks,
    Tony
  • edited April 2002
    I have a couple of 386's too! I use one just for running Emulators on! The other is my back-up word processor, 'cos I have had my main PC go down the night before an English assignment has to be handed in! :(
  • edited April 2002
    I have a small collection, including
    Atari 2600
    Atari 800XL
    Mattel Intellivision
    ZX81 (Timex version)
    And a bunch of Spectrums.

Still hoping to find a QL or Sam Coupe somewhere! But it's true, in the last two years people at car boot sales charge a lot more for these old machines.

No matter how cheap, I would never, ever buy an ugly C64. ;)
  • edited April 2002
    I have a small collection, including
    Atari 2600
    Atari 800XL
    Mattel Intellivision
    ZX81 (Timex version)
    And a bunch of Spectrums.

Still hoping to find a QL or Sam Coupe somewhere! But it's true, in the last two years people at car boot sales charge a lot more for these old machines.

No matter how cheap, I would never, ever buy an ugly C64. ;)
  • edited April 2002
    My collection is small now, but I plan to buy more machines.
    Actual:
    2 x ZX Spectrum + (one not working)
    1 x Didaktik Gama (Slovak clone of ZXS with 80k memory)
    2 x Didaktik M (another Slovak ZXS clone)
    1 x ZX Spectrum +2
    1 x MB-02+ (coolest FDD IF ever)
    1 x BetaDisk (handmade - not finished yet)
    1 x +D (handmade - not finished yet)

z00m
  • edited April 2002
    Oh, Lordy... right, let's see if I can remember my collection (as most of it's still in Blighty)...

All are British spec unless otherwise noted.

1x ZX Spectrum 48K
    2x ZX Spectrum + (only one works, though)
    1x ZX Spectrum +2
    1x ZX Spectrum +3
    1x Sinclair QL
    1x Memotech MTX512
    1x Grandstand Pong-style thing (black & white)
    1x Grandstand Pong-style thing (colour)
    1x Sega Master System
    2x Sega Master System II
    1x Sega MegaDrive
    1x Sega MegaDrive (Japanese/UK hybrid)
    1x Sega CD (USA)
    1x Sega Saturn (USA)
    1x Nintendo NES
    1x Nintendo SNES
    1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance (USA)
    2x Atari 2600VCS
    1x Atari Lynx
    1x Atari Lynx II (USA)
    1x NEC PC Engine GT (Japanese)
    2x Sony PlayStation (one with a dead CD-ROM drive)
    1x Microsoft Xbox (USA)
    1x 486/66 PC
    1x Pentium/200 PC
    1x Celeron/600 PC (USA)

Other machines I've owned but no longer have include Neo Geo Pocket Color, Atari 1040STFM (to my mind, the ST was the spiritual successor to the Speccy, since the Amiga was of course bought up and released by Commod(or)e), a USA spec Dreamcast, and a UK spec Sega Saturn and Game Gear.

I think I got all of 'em listed, but I may have forgotten one or two...

Thanks to my mum for currently homing most of those machines... :)

[ This Message was edited by: Jazzbeaux on 2002-04-18 02:23 ]
  • edited April 2002
    Jazzbeaux, are you Julian Rignall of Newsfield fame??
  • edited May 2002
    My collection (if you can call it that) consists of
    2 x 48K spectrums, both working, (one in mint condition, with manuals and in box with complete poly box) with various joysticks and Kempston Joystick interface.
    1 x Atari 520ST (upgraded to 1MB), my original one from 1987

[ This Message was edited by: MikeyB on 2002-05-19 22:38 ]
  • edited May 2002
    I had an original IBM PC, twin drive with CGA monitor ex-business thing. It was on it's last legs and is now in sillicon heaven.
  • edited May 2002
    Jazzbeaux, you must be real maniac. I own "only" two machines: Commodore Amiga+ (w/big hard, approx. 8MB RAM, joystick, mouse, printer and monitor) and one PC Celeron 266 with usual HW.

[ This Message was edited by: Dynamite Dan on 2002-05-23 15:08 ]
  • edited May 2002
    Righty, let's see:

2xZX81 (one with a Memotech 16K RAM pack, one needs a PSU)
    2xZX Spectrum (one rubber key 48k, one plus)
    2xAmiga (an A1500 and an A1200)
    1xBBC Master 128
    2xArchimedes (an A3000 and a RiscPC with 486 card)
    on the PC front I have an old XT, a luggable IBM 386 (P70) and an laptop IBM 386 (L40) from whence we head to 486, Pentium and above machines to quench by Linux thirst :)

..and a.. ..darn.. ..almost a QL, now I've still got nothing to use my microdrive cartridges in :(
  • edited June 2002
    Well, my newly started retro collection is slowly growing.

I got hold of an as-new Currah USpeech unit for the speccy.
    Also I've been given another Atari ST by a mate at work, got a rather nice Atari Lynx, and an Atari 2600 on its way.

Oh, and got an original Atari mouse for the ST, this is rather groovy this old stuff, havent had my PS2 on now for weeks!!!
  • edited June 2002
    On 2002-04-18 02:21, Jazzbeaux wrote:

[ ", Atari 1040STFM (to my mind, the ST was the spiritual successor to the Speccy, since the Amiga was of course bought up and released by Commod(or)e), ]

I dont know about 1040STFM,.. 520ST, STE or things like that.. but I dont guess Atari was Speccy successor because its games usually gots worst scrolls than Speccy.

[ This Message was edited by: Javier Alca?iz on 2002-06-08 10:37 ]
  • edited June 2002
    On Thursday I got a Timex Sinclair 1000 (boxed) with a Timex Sinclair 16k RAM pack!

That's the USA ZX-81.
  • edited June 2002
    I have a few all speccy's with interfaces etc saga emperor keyboard ,bbc b's with monitor twin disk drives roms etc,electrons with org cassette deck ,atari st 520 and 1040 with extra drives 'a hanimex pong machine ,b/w gameboy gave a mate a c64 all set up and work fine my old 486 sx25 is used for logging and data info for my retro and hamradio I also have a citizen swift240c printer and an old alpha 32 for speccy.
    car boot in Preston on Tue and Thurs don't turn up much but keep on looking.
  • edited June 2002
    last post was me bt disconected me
  • edited June 2002
    Today, I bought a +2 with PSU and 3 joysticks for ?15.

I know this is hard to believe, but I had never used one before. :)

IT seems to work fine.
  • edited July 2002
    Hi, my collection:

2x ZX 81 (1 OK, 1 bad membrane)
    3x Speccy 48k
    2x Speccy+
    2x C=64 (old brown case)
    2x C=64 II
    1x C128
    4x Sharp MZ 821 (with lot of stuff, ready for swap :)
    2x Sharp PC1211 (4 swap)
    2x Didaktik gama (Slovak ZX clone, 4 swap)
    1x Didaktik M + XT keyboard interface
    1x Atari 1040 (4 swap)
    1x Atari STE
    2x Atari 800 XL, XE (4 swap)
    ?
    And a lot of old TI programmable calculators like TI 57 and TI59 :)
    ---
    Looking for Sinclair QL, SAM or Z88.