What's the maddest a Speccy game ever drove you????

edited July 2005 in Games
What's the maddest a game ever made you and what did you do about it??
I have plenty of memories of punching TV's, myself, sofa's etc. as, for example, I missed the last bomb drop in Penetrator after making it all the way there on one life for the 10th time in a row!! I also knew someone back then who broke his bedroom door, his foot and a mirror with one Exolon induced kick(flying) - boy did he get in trouble!!
ASpec.

Post edited by alanspec on
"I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.

Comments

• edited June 2005
    The maddest I have ever come to is giving the Speccy a round resound thump when the keyboard membrane began to act up and I couldn't type in the quotes (so necessary to load the games - I could play them with a joystick!)!

In fact there was a weird problem and I'm hoping someone can explain this. As mentioned some keys on the keyboard wouldn't respond when I started the Speccy for the first time in the day. But after around 20 or 30 minutes of excercising the keyboard (by pressing the keys repeatedly) things would start improving and gradually life would flow back into the keyboard.

But I had to follow this ritual every single day for 3 months until one not-so-fine-day the Speccy just refused to co-operate!
  • edited June 2005
    @Arjun

Maybe the keyboard membranes were sticky and needed a little warming up to get the liquid/stickyness away from the contacts. Even though you may never have spilled anything over the keyboard moisture/condensation in the air could have gotten in there.

Skarpo
    :)
  • edited June 2005
    I can't really remember getting all that frustrated with Speccy games. Oh, hang on - Treasure Island Bastard Dizzy. There's nothing worse than falling in the water and losing your one and only life with just one coin left to collect to complete the game. I think the TV took a couple of smacks for that one.

Nowadays I get frustrated with just about every game I play. At the moment it's GTA San Andreas, as I can't get past two missions at the moment (the Russian one where you're chased by a car transporter and the f$%?ing annoying stealth one in the DJ's house - which is only because I can't play stealth games to save my life). I like to punch something soft if I get frustrated nowadays though, like the sofa. Or the cat.
  • edited June 2005
    Maybe the keyboard membranes were sticky and needed a little warming up to get the liquid/stickyness away from the contacts.

I never personally found Sam Fox Strip Poker that much of a turn on but each to their own ;)
  • edited June 2005
    I think I am gonna get some Jam doughnuts.......probably 5 :D
  • edited June 2005
    I often got mad about infamous Tape Loading Error message. Once it happened after 5 min of loading when when the loading was nearly over. I decided to punish my tape player :) and gave it some hard punches almost damaging it. My friend who was present had a great fun about it but it wasn't funny for me at all.
  • edited June 2005
    After The War by Dinamic.

I was desperate to play the second section but the first was SO frustrating I very nearly chucked my +2 out of the window.

Obviously Dinamic games had a tendency to be ridiculously hard so I should've known better really!
  • edited June 2005
    On 2005-06-29 16:47, Malc74 wrote:

Treasure Island Bastard Dizzy

Have you still got it? I think it must be MIA cos I can't see it in the archive.
    My test signature
  • edited June 2005
    I can't really remember getting all that frustrated with Speccy games. Oh, hang on - Treasure Island Bastard Dizzy. There's nothing worse than falling in the water and losing your one and only life with just one coin left to collect to complete the game. I think the TV took a couple of smacks for that one.

Nowadays I get frustrated with just about every game I play. At the moment it's GTA San Andreas, as I can't get past two missions at the moment (the Russian one where you're chased by a car transporter and the f$%?ing annoying stealth one in the DJ's house - which is only because I can't play stealth games to save my life). I like to punch something soft if I get frustrated nowadays though, like the sofa. Or the cat.

Bearing in mind that xBox s-type controllers are very robust, I have still managed to smash one in anger after dying in Ninja Gaiden a few times too many for my liking. Of course, I think I have learned the costly error of my ways and now resort to hitting the sofa with a cushion several times whilst hissing some extremely offensive names at the xBox.

I don't recall thumping my 48k speccy, but the keyboard on that bastard grey lovechild of Alan Sugar got a right thumping sometimes.

[ This Message was edited by: Refrenz on 2005-06-29 21:14 ]
  • edited June 2005
    my mate killed his +2a with his fists because of 'Cobra'.
  • edited June 2005
    The maddest I used to get was with trying to load Skool Daze. I really loved that game but it would only load once in about five attempts, so I developed some bizzare rituals which I hope would help the game load (e.g. leave the room, pray, kill chickens and smear blood, etc).
  • edited June 2005
    Full Throttle was probably the cause of several black eyes, self induced, I will say no more.
  • edited June 2005
    I used to leave the room when I tried to load a tempremental game too!!!! I thought it was just me!! I broke my +2A when Dragon Ninja didn't load once and I pressed the stop button so hard it broke off!!! Whoopse!
  • edited June 2005
    Yay!
    Took a while, but it's not just me then!!! :)
    I might print this out to show my Mum that I wasn't the only one!!!
    Interesting to see some games were more annoying and patience testing than most others - I too got annoyed by Cobra - a lot.
    - And SkoolDaze resetting when it's loaded, gggrrrrrrr.
    -I remember Green Beret being very hard too - used to annoy me lots and lots(although I was delighted at how easy the arcade version then seemed in comparison :) ).
    ASpec.

"I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • edited June 2005
    When i first got my Speccy i used to hate it when on Football Manager i lost to some numpty team in the cup ! Plus when it didnt save properly and you realised you had lots weeks and weeks of stuff and had to start again !

• edited June 2005
    Great question. I have loads, but Booty would have to be the top slot.
    I would get so enraged with being sent back to the beginning, that I would end up insulting Firebird software house and shouting that if I ever was to meet them on the street I would kick there heads in. LOL

Project Future used to also pee me off... Oh yeah! and Mutant Monty. How did they expect you to control him?
    I better stop now cos I can feel my fury returning.
  • haha - my bro-in-law would smack around his consoles and stuff when he got wound up and i think he broke his playstation from doing that

i was never "too" bad i think, at least i don't remember much like that. i do remember going through a phase of heavy swearing at games though.
  • edited July 2005
    No game ever maddened me. Loading problems and "get orf the computer" shouts did though.

I've never understood people wrecking their computer over a game. You must have been mentally unfit if you ever did such a thing, I think.
  • edited July 2005
    On 2005-06-29 21:02, fogartylee wrote:

Treasure Island Bastard Dizzy

Have you still got it? I think it must be MIA cos I can't see it in the archive.

Yeah, it's on the shelf next to Magicland C*nt Dizzy.
  • edited July 2005
    I destroyed one tape that wouldn't load
  • edited July 2005
    im just mad full stop, no idea if a speccy game did it tho.........more likely all the booze and weed i was brought up on :)
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited July 2005
    {EVIL}CrommCruac,
    I've never understood people wrecking their computer over a game. You must have been mentally unfit if you ever did such a thing, I think.

I didn't say computer. Never the computer. Order of precedence has lesser toys, walls, beds etc. all up way above the computer.
    But you're probably right. :D
    Although how anybody finished the likes of manic miner back then without at least shouting - ARRRGH. BALLS. BALLS BALLS BALLS.(or whatever) is beyond me.
    ASpec.
  • SleSle
    edited July 2005
    Wow, I'm another who considers myself a nut. I still occasionally lose it with the PC.. (Hangs head in shame) But Speccy games were so DIFFICULT!

Yes, I destroyed a speccy, Sega Mastersystem pads, etc etc. I wonder whether the good ol Speccy was the cause or a symptom of my rages! Hehe. I did have mates that never batted an eyelid when shafted by a game, so maybe it was just me..

Neil
  • edited July 2005
    Well, that's an interesting FIRST post!!
    Judging by the slow but steady rate of response, I'd guess some people are drawing a lot of conclusions from this thread, and others are wondering whether to incriminate themselves or not.
    Just to re-iterate:
    :mad: I NEVER KILLED A SPECCY BY HITTING IT - but the rest of my room took one on the chin occasionally. :mad:
    ASpec.

• edited July 2005
    On 2005-07-04 10:17, Sle wrote:
    Wow, I'm another who considers myself a nut. I still occasionally lose it with the PC.. (Hangs head in shame) But Speccy games were so DIFFICULT!

Welcome to the forum, what games did you find so difficult though ? I thought there was a lot of 'middle range of difficulty' games, then there were just impossible games yet on the other hand p*ss easy ones like Bruce Lee etc.
  • edited July 2005
    Hey,
    what an interesting topic, it brings back so many memories ( the bad ones that you usually tend to forget :) ).
    I knew all along that I wasn't the only one experiencing such tremendus rage against the speccy and the various peripherals ( expecially the tape recorder ), in fact I had other friends owners of C64s or MSXs which got really so mad at times to hit their copmuter with a hammer and spitting on them !!
    Me I don't remember very well why, but once I punched the TV screen ( which luckly for me had a protective plastic shield ) and broke it, then I smashed countless tapes against the wall and out of the window, and I remember breaking joysticks in two by exercising too much strenght on them( probably playng combat school and the likes of super test ) and of course pressing the computer keys so hard when they refused to work that after a while they broke compleately...
    Oh and the tape recorder stop button usually was the one abused the most when a game refused to load, in fact I had to replace the broken ones several times ( that until I got a +2, then no messing around with it ).
  • SleSle
    edited July 2005
  • SleSle
    edited July 2005
    Oops, blank post..

Well, I never had quite the dexterity for them. I never used POKES either, almost out of honesty.

Karnov was a bitch, All of the Ultimate games were mere curiousities because of their epic length. Terra Cresta I never got past the first level etc etc. I was truly rubbish.

However, my mate could play all these games through. I saw it like playing a musical instrument! I was obviously a bit of a spong - lol. Now I hold my own in online gaming, and complete modern FPS's with ease.. We are truly in another, gentler gaming era.

BTW, I've been DLing emulators and lurking on CSS for about 10 years now. Great topic though - I had to shove my 2 pennerth in.

Neil
  • edited July 2005
    Two words:

Bubble Bobble...

This game didn't make me angry playing it, it made me mad because i COULDN'T play it!

My friend had only recently purchased the NES version of BB and i spent hours hunched in front of his NES playing it, i loved the game, then i heard a Speccy version was due out, after weeks of waiting for the release date and reading every scrap of info in magazines, I ran to the store and bought the game on it's release (full price no less!) and slammed it into my cassette deck and hit PLAY...

20 minutes later and nothing happened so i tried reloading, adjusting the tape head, adjusting the sound, eventually i took the game back to the store and was told "Sorry we have sold out of them now, we don't get another shipment till next friday" (I think it was in John Menzies where i bought it).

I seriously almost had a breakdown at that point, and to make matters worse, my friend spent the rest of the week at school tormenting me saying "Oh you should see level 50 on BB, oh man this bit was so cool with this huge boss guy, etc.".
  • edited July 2005
    Back then to a 12 or 13 year old it really was the worst thing in the world to walk to the train station, get a train into the nearest big town, walk to the computer shop, firstly find out they've sold out of the game you are so after (ARGHGHGHGH) or you get the game with your hard earned money you saved up for weeks for, walk back, get the train back.

Leg it home, slap in the tape and it comes up with an error so you firstly are gutted then you realise you have to do the same journey to try and get a replacement copy.

I bought a few mail order games which were cool, one didnt work once and that was a nightmare for me !

Now because of emulators i try a fair few 'tough' games much more though, Terra Cresta is tough but its great once you build up the full ship. Slapfight i still dont like just because its so frickin hard