The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

edited June 2003 in Games
Which games, in your opinion, were better on the Commode 64 and Amsad CPC than the Speccy? And vice-versa? I ask because I believe that many Speccy games played better than the games on the rival platform (despite the colour problems).

My favs:
Zynaps, Batman, Commando were better on the Speccy

Wizball, Rasputin and Psi 5 trading company were better on the C64.

Post edited by Arjun on

Comments

• edited May 2002
    Cyberun was better on the MSX as Ultimate actually made good use of the AY soundchip (for the first time) so there`s a lot of explosions and dinky laser sounds. It played and looked exactly the same as the Spectrum version. I`ve not seen the Amstrad version though.

Wizball on the C64 is the best out of all the versions available - graphics, music and pure gameplay.

Bubbler on the Amstrad was slightly easier due to the colour in the graphics.
    I am from that generation, when Pluto was still a planet, and the Earth is round.

Bomb Munchies on WOS thread
    Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
    Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK
  • edited May 2002
    I think Emlyn Hughes was better on the C64. It seemed smoother to me, and the graphics (although blocky) were clearer than on the speccy: being monochrome on "our" platform made playing really confusing, as in several situations when players were really close, you couldn't really tell what was going on. Also, I believe the visible playing area was smaller than on C64. This is in contrast to, for instance, match day II, which was dead slow and unplayable on the C64, while fluid and nice on the spectrum.
  • edited May 2002
    Bomb Jack - miles better on the speccy.
  • edited May 2002
    Turrican 1 and 2 were completely brilliant games on the C64. The Spectrum versions were close to unplayable, I never understood how they could get so high ratings in the Spectrum mags back then.

Also, the Spectrum version of Bubble Bobble was fairly crap, while the C64-version was great!
  • edited May 2002
    FlyingShark from Speccy was superb,.. C64 version was not coded by Graftgold and really sucked..

Amstrad version was exactly the same as speccy but with a bit more colour and superb slowly.. almost on emulators..

Also Zynaps were total crap on Amstrad, cool on C64 and theverybest on Speccy =)
  • edited June 2002
    Ghostbusters was better on the c64 than the speccy.better sound and graphics and even the gameplay felt better

Manic Miner was best on speccy,,no other version on any computer was as good also enduro racer..the speccy had the finest home version of this even tho in monochrome.

As for the Amstrad errrr well donkey kong was pretty good better than the speccy version and on a par with the c64 version (ocean one)
  • edited June 2002
    I thought Impossible Missiom on the C64 was better than the speccy version, especially the sound when dropped down a well: "arrrghhh!"

Rengade was slightly better on the Amstrad and the controls were faithful to the arcade.

The rest were better on the speccy!!!

Gary.
  • edited June 2002
    well as for music i think that ( off the top of my head ) fantasy world dizzy and silkworm were way better than on c64. despite what many say, imo many tunes were better on 128.

lots of games were better on spectrum but the two that come to mind right now are rainbow islands ( i just hate it on c64 ) and bruce lee was miles and miles better.
  • edited June 2002
    Rengade was slightly better on the Amstrad and the controls were faithful to the arcade.
    Gary.

hmm, I dont think so.. amstrad blocky graphics are always very horrible for my taste.. =)
    I ever thought (and still) than Renegade from speccy is the best verson available.. C64 version is a great conversion,.. but the original coinop itnst as good as speccy version..

same goes for graphics,.. I think speccy verion are far better than coinop..
  • edited June 2002
    I preferred Trap Door and Jet set Willy on the C64 than on the Spectrum. Umm... don't think I had any other games that were on both consoles. Oh, actually - Fast Food Dizzy was better on the Speccy than the C64. Being a girl an' all, I went for all the lame games. Not my fault.
  • edited June 2002
    Trapdoor on the commode? Well, well, well... I didn't know there was a version out there. Will look for it now and see if it REALLY is better than the fantastic Speccy version.

And if one is looking for eyeball candy in the 1001 JSW versions for all platforms, check out the Ami-bah, sorry, Amiga version of JSW (there are 3-4 for the Amibah itself).
    Full colour, multi-direction scrolling (no flip screen). Somehow lacks the atmosphere of the Speccy version though... ah well!
  • edited June 2002
    There was a nice PD version (I guess) from ManicMiner on the amiga.. graphics and scroll were nice..
  • edited June 2002
    On 2002-06-03 02:23, Andy Gurr wrote:
    Ghostbusters was better on the c64 than the speccy.better sound and graphics and even the gameplay felt better

Oh, forgot about that. Yeah, you're right.
  • edited June 2002
    On 2002-06-24 17:03, Amigo wrote:
    well as for music i think that ( off the top of my head ) fantasy world dizzy and silkworm were way better than on c64. despite what many say, imo many tunes were better on 128.

I have no idea what the C64 used for sound production but the AY chip was very popular and very good chip - it produced a clean sound (the C64 stuff I've heard sounds similar to 48k beeper stuff at it's best).
  • edited June 2002
    No. SID was the best by a mile.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited June 2002
    I never saw games for CPC, so I could compare ZX/C64:

Better ZX: Fantastic Vojage, Manic Miner, Renegate, Monty Mole, Cuckie Egg

Better C64: Bruce Lee, Last Ninja, Marble Madness, Out Run, Platoon
  • edited June 2002
    Music on the C64 was better than on the Spectrum, I reckon. Actually, does anyone remember a tune that used to crop up while certain C64 games were loading? It was on the Great Escape, Comic Bakery and Wizball as well as many other games I'm sure. (Bet some smart arse is gonna ask me how it goes.)
  • edited July 2002
    On 2002-06-28 17:56, Knightlore wrote:
    Music on the C64 was better than on the Spectrum, I reckon. Actually, does anyone remember a tune that used to crop up while certain C64 games were loading? It was on the Great Escape, Comic Bakery and Wizball as well as many other games I'm sure. (Bet some smart arse is gonna ask me how it goes.)

Ocean had a loader with a tune and used it in major part of their games on c64... that music is now real retro nostalgic stuff..

surely you can download it at SIDtunes webpages.. you will find as ??ocean loader tune??
  • edited May 2003
    I know this is a OOllllllddd post - but I remembered another couple of games that were better on the C64 - Beach Head 2, and I-Ball - perhaps cos the C64 could do Speech sooo much better...with the exception of Robin of the Wood. *L*
  • edited May 2003
    On 2002-06-27 14:25, Anonymous wrote:
    On 2002-06-24 17:03, Amigo wrote:

I have no idea what the C64 used for sound production but the AY chip was very popular and very good chip - it produced a clean sound (the C64 stuff I've heard sounds similar to 48k beeper stuff at it's best).

Wow. If you think C64 SID music sounds like 48K Spectrum beeper music, then you REALLY can't have heard much C64 music. Check out Rob Hubbard classics like Monty On The Run, Crazy Comets or Delta (or his reworking of Commando), martin Galway's Parallax tune or Matt Gray's Driller tune, to name but a very, VERY few. If you still think it sounds similar to 48K beeper music at best, I won't know what to say.
  • edited May 2003
    Actually, SID was pretty good. I still think AY was better, though... :)
  • edited May 2003
    This may prove controversial .... but although the Speccy version of Manic Miner is perhaps one of the greatest versions of all time, the ORIC version is nearly on a par with it, if you take into account limitations forced by the system. Not only did the programmer manage to recreate the game in 6x8 graphic squares, but also managed to fit loads more new levels in the game.

ORIC Mr. Wimpy is (IMHO) better on the Oric.

I agree that TURRICAN 1 and 2 were far superior on the C64, but the Spectrum versions were a noble attempt to recreate a game that was written FOR the C64.

The C64 version of Daley Thompsons Decathlon is abysmal, and is completely shown up by the Speccy version. Also, nearly all of the 3D iso-metric games, were faster and more playable on the Spectrum.
  • edited May 2003
    On 2003-05-23 04:28, chaosmongers wrote:
    Also, nearly all of the 3D iso-metric games, were faster and more playable on the Spectrum.

...true, although I think the Last Ninja series were impressive on C64.
  • edited May 2003
    Then again, the Last Ninja series came from a company (System 3) who were obviously C64 oriented. Some of their Speccy games (when they actually bothered to release them - Last Ninja 1 and 3 anyone?) were far from brilliant (Vendetta especially). Mind you, Last Ninja 2 and Myth were absolutely brilliant on the Speccy.
    By the way, the latest issue of Games(TM) has a feature on System 3 (now called Studio 3 apparently).
  • edited May 2003
    The Beach Head games were great on the C64 and I remember being amazed at the speech in Impossible Mission on the same machine. But of course these were US Gold games and they were very much a C64 company - most of their Speccy versions were crap (look at California/Winter/Summer Games etc). Anyone agree? And who were other similar offenders?
  • edited May 2003
    Of course Speccy owners were generally treated better by Ultimate...many games like Knight Lore, Alien 8 etc weren't available on the C64 so instead you got weird semi-3d things like Staff of Karnath (forget the names of the others)

IMO the games that were better on specific formats were:

C64: Hypersports, Yie Ar Kung Fu, all the Epyx 'Games' series, Lucasfilm games, Last Ninja, Powerdrift, Myth, Turrican 1 & 2, Outrun Europa, Rick Dangerous, Stunt Car Racer, SWIV, Leaderboard series, Impossible Mission, Uridium, Nebulus, Super Cycle

Speccy: Chuckie Egg, Hard Drivin, Chase HQ, WEC Le Mans, Enduro Racer, Zynaps, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Freescape series, Outrun (but only with processor speed increased using an emulator!), Hang On, Quazatron (hehe), Target: Renegade, Bombjack 1 & 2, Head Over Heels, Rolling Thunder, Dan Dare, Karnov
  • edited May 2003
    Well I found Beach Head to be rather playable on the Speccy too. Including Beach Head 2. U.S. Gold did have better offerings on C64 than the Speccy but they did come out with a conker now and then. The reason I guess is that many of their games were conversions from the C64 with the result that many games suffered from the inferior conversions.

• edited May 2003
    The problem with US Gold in the mid eighties was that they were buying the distribution rights to some classic C64 games and then rushing out some pretty shoddy conversions for the Spectrum and Amstrad. Admittedly there were some good games in there, but a lot of them were dire. In fact, US Gold actually took out adverts in 85/86 saying things like 'Our Software was made for your Spectrum' obviously because they were getting a bit of a bad reputation at the time. To be fair though, all credit to them for spotting a sure-fire money spinner (buying up North American games and converting them to UK computers), but it meant that Speccy owners often had to wait months for games that were worse than the C64 originals.
  • edited June 2003
    On 2002-05-31 08:33, Arjun wrote:
    Wizball... was better on the C64.

Yes. The whole idea of a game involving colour mixing... could only work on a machine with more than 8 colours...

And from my personal area of expertise:
    RICK DANGEROUS!

Amstrad: Rancid graphics. Rancid *everything*, in fact...
    Speccy: Too much colour clash made a lot of traps impossible to see.
    C64: Semi-rancid background, nasties had an inexplicable blue glow, nice sprite of Rick.
    But the ST version was the greatest!

www.rickdangerous.co.uk *PLUG PLUG PLUG*

"Waaaaaaaa!"