Alice in Wonderland (FULL VERSION!) on ZX Spectrum

Not really a game but a film and I'm uncertain which forum to put this in so (Moved it to Misc - Mod)....

I've uploaded two tap video copies of Alice in Wonderland converted to ZX Spectrum at 7.14FPS (suitable for DivIDE Plus playback) and 10FPS (emulator) converted with Image to ZX Spec 1.2

Before anybody gets their proverbial knickers in a twist this is the BFI restored out of copyright 9 minute 107 year old first ever filmed version of Alice in Wonderland and can be seen on YouTube here. Unfortunately I didn't have time to monochrome (Spectrum) tint the film as per the original colours :(

I think this sort of content and most B/W silent films (such as Charlie Chaplin's - all available on the archive.org) fit quite nicely into what is capable on a modern Spectrum.
Post edited by brownb2 on
«1

Comments

  • edited April 2010
    dude that is awesome, I must get the IDE/CF thingy asap..
  • edited April 2010
    I can't unzip these on a Mac, because they are self extracting .exes.
  • edited April 2010
    orange wrote: »
    dude that is awesome, I must get the IDE/CF thingy asap..

    I've been toying with doing the Charlie Chaplin films especially the later movies - the low frame rate on the early slap stick films probably helps. Laurel and Hardy's Flying Deuces (no copyright) looks like it could also be a candidate but as we can't also convert sound to the Speccy it could limit the enjoyment. I guess somebody could subtitle it. The flying deuces would need some changes making to the software as I maxed out my C2Duo Ubuntu 64 bit machine's memory doing Alice in Wonderland (converting at 150 FPS!) as Ubuntu automatically kills memory hogging programs when it runs low on RAM :(

    What's the point of all this though - a few retro party videos (which I'll probably never attend), video as a art form... probably a waste of time!
  • edited April 2010
    mulder wrote: »
    I can't unzip these on a Mac, because they are self extracting .exes.

    http://www.7-zip.org/download.html has a Mac extractor which should ignore the self extractor part or are you being pedantic? ;) TBH I use Ubuntu as much as Windows, I was just pandering to the lowest common denominator using exe's as Ubuntu is capable of extracting them I just assumed other modern OS's could ;)
  • edited April 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    http://www.7-zip.org/download.html has a Mac extractor which should ignore the self extractor part or are you being pedantic? ;) TBH I use Ubuntu as much as Windows, I was just pandering to the lowest common denominator using exe's as Ubuntu is capable of extracting them I just assumed other modern OS's could ;)

    Ah, ta. I couldn't get Stuffit to extract it, so I'll try this instead.
  • edited April 2010
    Windows user here, using Winrar for all my compression/extraction needs. This is the message that I get:

    "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"
    "Unexpected end of archive reached"

    And yes, I downloaded the entire file. Both files give me the same error message. :(
  • edited April 2010
    all I get is r tape loading error, havent tried it on real hardware as yet
  • edited April 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Windows user here, using Winrar for all my compression/extraction needs. This is the message that I get:

    "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"
    "Unexpected end of archive reached"

    And yes, I downloaded the entire file. Both files give me the same error message. :(

    Winrar is probably not decompressing both the zip and the 7zip. As people are having so many problems I'll simply zip them and update the links in a mo. I hope my mate is okay with more bandwidth use, which hopefully as it's just WOS forum shouldn't be much....
  • edited April 2010
    I can extract it all okay - just no idea what to do with it. :S
  • edited April 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    Winrar is probably not decompressing both the zip and the 7zip. As people are having so many problems I'll simply zip them and update the links in a mo. I hope my mate is okay with more bandwidth use, which hopefully as it's just WOS forum shouldn't be much....

    Normal service has been resumed - the links on the first post have been updated. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • edited April 2010
    BiNMaN wrote: »
    all I get is r tape loading error, havent tried it on real hardware as yet

    I've tried it on Fuse (fine), ZX Spin (won't work... can crash your machine...), Speculator and a real +3. The tap file needs to be loaded with USR 0 first which is mentioned on the menu screen when it starts anyway. I've not come across the r tape loading error I guess it may be a bad download/extract. Please try with the updated zips links above (note the links now do not have the word "in" in them, i.e. "alice_in_wonderland_lightness_7.14.zip" is now "alice_wonderland_lightness_7.14.zip" in case of any browser caching/network caching issues).
  • edited April 2010
    orange wrote: »
    dude that is awesome, I must get the IDE/CF thingy asap..

    It is a pretty amazing device, gives the old ZX a completely new lease off life.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks. The .zip files worked! :)
    Impressive stuff. This type of movie could actually have "piano" AY music if the data was being read from a compact flash card. That would make it look even more like the original!

    /me thinks of other old classics.
  • edited April 2010
    In my case, Spectaculator could't deal with file fo such a big size. It was constantly thinking reading and working.

    But SpecEmu played it smooth.
  • edited April 2010
    If you give us a sequence of contiguous SCR images, it can be played at 25 fps using the DivIDE or Spectranet...
  • edited April 2010
    Winston wrote: »
    If you give us a sequence of contiguous SCR images, it can be played at 25 fps using the DivIDE or Spectranet...

    Image to ZX Spec can already do that - switch on the SCR export option (under misc) and use a video sample rate of 25 for that (pre processing option).

    If you use the custom loader option on the export options you can attach your own code to the resulting tap file BEFORE the SCR images are added. If you do manage 25FPS with your own custom basic/machine code loader please consider making it available for use with Image to ZX Spec.

    I've not been able to get my DivIDE to go faster than (exactly) 7.14 FPS and this was from a CF - it should have been able to do more than 49K a second hence the reason for the two versions.
  • edited April 2010
    Just ran it on my +3

    setting the delay to 0 doesn't work but the range 1-10 does
  • edited April 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    Before anybody gets their proverbial knickers in a twist this is the BFI restored out of copyright 9 minute 107 year old first ever filmed version of Alice in Wonderland and can be seen on YouTube here.

    Why is the framerate so smooth, why isn't it hoppy-choppy? I thought all movies/cameras back then worked at a different speed than nowadays.
  • edited April 2010
    BiNMaN wrote: »
    Just ran it on my +3

    setting the delay to 0 doesn't work but the range 1-10 does

    Delay 0 is PAUSE 0 and intended for a manual increment -press a key- slide show instead (which is what Image to zx spec was originally meant for). The real minimum is 1 as this is required for double buffering (thanks to Alcoholic Anonymous for the routine). On a real +3 I can only get a max converted frame rate of 7.14 FPS on a delay setting of 1.
    Ignore the range bit in brackets on the loader - I intend to adjust or get rid of it).
  • edited April 2010
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    Why is the framerate so smooth, why isn't it hoppy-choppy? I thought all movies/cameras back then worked at a different speed than nowadays.

    IIRC the original was 16 FPS (I read this on one of the fan sites) which is bearable - AFAIK anything above about 10 is viewable as long as there isn't a lot of movement.
  • edited April 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    Not really a game but a film and I'm uncertain which forum to put this in so (Moved it to Misc - Mod)....
    I've uploaded two tap video copies of Alice in Wonderland converted to ZX Spectrum at 7.14FPS (suitable for DivIDE Plus playback)


    What should I type in the intro to the best view (on divIDE)?

    PS: Btw, next time make the border black please.
    ZX Spectrum 48K BEEPER Music:
    http://mister_beep.republika.pl/
  • edited April 2010
    What should I type in the intro to the best view (on divIDE)?

    PS: Btw, next time make the border black please.

    1 (its the lowest delay as per earlier comment that my divide cannot keep up).

    Re the black border - you can press break and add border 0 after the loader loads (and obv. run again). If you want to do this for future videos you can add a custom basic loader in image to zx spec, this is just a basic program in a tap file.
  • edited April 2010
    Without checking the other topic again, can someone remind me why the double-buffering was needed? :)
    I'm surprised the DivIDE can't "catch-up" or keep a higher FPS. I have a DivIDE+ but don't have a Speccy here to test it. I always thought it would read screens at a very fast speed if they were all loaded sequentially, but I never paid attention to how many screens it could load per second.
    Now I understand why natxcross had so much trouble trying to play digitised samples hidden in each frame. It worked great under emulation, but according to him too slow on real hardware.
  • edited April 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Without checking the other topic again, can someone remind me why the double-buffering was needed? :)
    I'm surprised the DivIDE can't "catch-up" or keep a higher FPS. I always thought it would read screens at a very fast speed if they were all loaded sequentially, but I never paid attention to how many screens it could load per second.
    Now I understand why natxcross had so much trouble trying to play digitised samples hidden in each frame. It worked great under emulation, but according to him too slow on real hardware.

    Video on real hardware without the double buffering causes attribute flicker since the display cannot keep up. See this video about 1.05 minutes in for the best (worst?) example of this problem http://www.youtube.com/user/brownb2vid#p/a/u/1/D3hFhfRF63s. This was my first attempt at video on the ZX. I'll try another CF this evening to see if I can get a faster FPS but 7.14 seems to be the effective rate for real hardware. I did toy with the idea of having raw audio in the tape file (i.e. the type that will play on a hifi) and not played via the speccy's sound chip but this would involve too much "read ahead" buffering (assuming enough free memory) and sound playback would be broken up.
  • edited April 2010
    PS: Btw, next time make the border black please.

    This option is in the final 1.2.1 version of Image to Zx Spec. See the announcements Image to ZX Spec thread for more info. I'm sure people on here are sick of me whining on so I'll just update the download links tonight and get on with it :) I have to agree white on black with black border does look much better and sports a similar theme to the actual hardware.

    UPDATE: Links on Image to ZX Spec thread updated for 1.2.1.
  • edited April 2010
    Amazing stuff and works perfectly with SpecEmu.
    I just made a video and will try to upload it on youtube later. :)

    Ok, here's the video:

  • edited April 2010
    Pegaz wrote: »
    Amazing stuff and works perfectly with SpecEmu.
    I just made a video and will try to upload it on youtube later. :)

    Ok, here's the video:


    Seeing it on YouTube somehow makes it seem even cooler!
  • edited April 2010
    Sent you a pm.
    I encourage you not to abandon development of this tool. The Spectranet interface is still in development and a new firmware for the DivIDE and similar interfaces is now in beta stage. There's a bright future ahead for this type of things!
  • edited April 2010
    That's really very good indeed.

    I remember watching the whole of the film, Aliens on the Spectrum via a Rombo digitiser, with the sound through the cassette recorder in 1988!
  • edited April 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    Not really a game but a film and I'm uncertain which forum to put this in so (Moved it to Misc - Mod)....
    I've uploaded two tap video copies of Alice in Wonderland converted to ZX Spectrum at 7.14FPS (suitable for DivIDE Plus playback) and 10FPS (emulator) converted with Image to ZX Spec 1.2

    Good job dude.
    The funny part is - I wanted to do exactly the same thing (however with the first "Godzilla" movie from 1956, if I recall, with subtitles) although just wanted to add some AY music in the intro and scroll maybe, with some Godzilla pic, but seems like You were first with Your release after all. :) Congratz.

    Sadly our works stopped because my player (basic) was pretty slow and characters were moving like in slow-motion. So we found the idea to make a simple PC prog to remove every second frame, to make the movement faster.
    But then..... Aaah, we didn't finish the job, heh.

    Maybe we will try again in some future.
    ZX81/ZX Spectrum/Amiga/Atari music: http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/
Sign In or Register to comment.