HOW TO *FORCE* AMSTRAD TO PRODUCE ZX?!

edited October 2004 in Sinclair Miscellaneous
OK then. Many chats last times about new ZX models, old ZX models but contemporary produced ;) , about Amstrad - what could it do and why didn't do more....

So now - HOW TO FORCE AMSTRAD TO PRODUCE SPECTRUM? Nowadays. As kinda retro thingy.

Maybe some massive mail-action? Is there any mail-address to the firm?

What do You think, ppl? Should we send them loads of e'mails with ask about re-opening Spectrum's productions? They could have some money from it, I suppose many people would buy it. And they could have some advertisment, as - I;m sure - massmedia would talk about 'return of Spectrum'. :)

Any good arguments for such a letter to Amstrad?

Greetz,
Yerz
Post edited by Yerz on

Comments

• edited October 2004
    And while we're at it, we should FORCE Ultimate to release Mire Mare, and FORCE Matthew Smith to write a new Willy game...

I think Amstrad would just laugh at you. They are a business, and big businesses don't like to take risks
  • edited October 2004
    Present them with an overwhelming business case showing that it would be a commercially shrewd decision for them to make Spectrums again.

Personally, I suspect you're going to have more than a few problems making that business case.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-28 12:52, dansauk wrote:
    And while we're at it, we should FORCE Ultimate to release Mire Mare, and FORCE Matthew Smith to write a new Willy game...
    I think Amstrad would just laugh at you. They are a business, and big businesses don't like to take risks

Oh, jee, what a sad creature without any sense of humour.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-28 13:43, Saboteur wrote:
    'I think Amstrad would just laugh at you. They are a business, and big businesses don't like to take risks'

Never saw the eMailer then? :)

[ This Message was edited by: Saboteur on 2004-10-28 13:43 ]
  • edited October 2004
    Why do you think he doesnt have a sense of humour ? Your post was a serious one so dont make out that person didnt have a sense of humour as your post wasnt a joke you were serious.

The idea isnt exactly a great one, Amstrad gets 90 emails from some hardcore Speccy fans and you think theyre gonna re-release the Speccy ?

As much as i love the Speccy i'm not so much in love with it i'm blind to think Amstrad will release the Spectrum. After reading this thread Miner Willy's threads are looking more sensible
  • edited October 2004
    >Why do you think he doesnt have a sense of humour?
    'cause he has not.

>Your post was a serious one
    and his was rude (without reason).
    I know such people who just has entered some forum and starts from: "they will laugh at you" shits.

>so dont make out that person didnt have a sense of humour as your post wasnt a joke you were serious.
    hey, we have a telepathic guy here.

>The idea isnt exactly a great one, Amstrad gets 90 emails from some hardcore Speccy fans and you think theyre gonna re-release the Speccy ?
    I know everybody use English in different way, but I though it's rather obvious.
    I don't count on fact they would release new series of Spectrum, for Christ sake.
    But would be nice to let them know that retro trend is strong, that they should pay attantion on it.

And finally - it's a kind of game, quite typical on this forum, heh...

And difference between serious and non-serious stuff? It's fluent, my good man.
    About some other topic: dod you think I really want Sir Clive to give his trademark to all new model of ZX?
    it is the same situation. of course it would be cool thing.
    But do I believe it will happen?
    Try to think.

And the new guy treated light subject with dignity of business-plan.
  • edited October 2004
    But would be nice to let them know that retro trend is strong

Not on any scale which would be of any interest to Amstrad whatsoever.
  • edited October 2004
    Who knows :) there would be nothing without dreams, hehe. Atari back to their name. Tulip reminded itself about Commodore rights. Finally even Amstrad made this luckless e'mailer.

I even heard about some firm which started again to produce 5,25" floppy disk for C64 fans. (They're a bit expensive 'though).

it's always worth to do *anything* in this direction. Heh...
  • edited October 2004
    Well why dont you take a dose of your own medicine. Okay say that guy should have taken your post with a sense of humour but why didnt you then take his reply with a sense of humour as well ?

See your post was a serious one you admitted it so you cant be blamed for replies which you received which thought the idea was stupid.

I'm not telepathic but you didnt say your post was a joke . When i said 'your post was a serious one' you didnt say 'no it wasnt' you said 'and his was a rude one'. In that case you must be telepathic as well !

See whos being rude now "...for christ sake". And theres you moaning about someone replying in a rude manner to you !

I'm positive Amstrad know that the retro tend is strong, i'm sure they have marketing guys looking at how well things such as old NES games repackaged for the GBA are doing and also these '10 games in 1' consoles as well.

But (sarcastic tone on) i'm sure if we email them then they'll pay attention as i'm sure their high priced marketeers havent got a clue whats going on in the outside world
    eh ? !

Well if you call that a game you have a weird sense of humour ! Yes Miner Willy posts tons of stupid crap but theres no reason to follow his actions.

Of course i would love it to happen and maybe in the next few years something like a Spectrum Plug and Play or something else will happen. Either way none of us thought there would be a popular Retro games magazine just a few years ago did we ?

You are confusing and you have many double standards. If you were 'joking' so was the other guy then.

Jesus its like being in the school playground.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-28 14:45, Yerz wrote:
    Finally even Amstrad made this luckless e'mailer.

Which is the biggest piece of evidence here. The (original) emailer sold ~100000 units and was considered (by everyone other than Alan Sugar) to be a commercial disaster.

The sales of Retrogamer are (I believe) in "5 figures". For sake of argument, say "5 figures" * the proportion of those who are Speccy fans = 10000. That's probably your absolute maximum sales.

Nice though it would be, it's just not going to happen.
    it's always worth to do *anything* in this direction.

Not if it's towards something which is never going to happen. Spend your effort somewhere worthwhile instead.
  • edited October 2004
    >See whos being rude now "...for christ sake". And theres you moaning about someone replying in a rude manner to you !
    haha, it's so funny.
    Some people start to act rude and then are so surprised when people simply REact.
    And now you escalate it, hehe, and in 2 hours you will be more surprised. It is so typical.
    After all it is huge offtopic.
  • edited October 2004
    I just find your posts very frustrating as you accuse people of rubbish but you seem to be trying to act the perfect angel.

This thread was real (it wasnt a joke) which you posted and you totally overreacted.

Funny how you dont say anything to Phillip who has posted a lot of common sense totally shooting down your ideas.
  • edited October 2004
    Hehe, I'm at work and it's not easy to answer him especially you're flooding (which was easy to predict) with your texts.
    You're like a guy who farted while dinner and he's suprised nobody's eating now. heh.
    Now you will be even more satisfied as I still can't reply Philip, 'cause gotta go home now.
    But I surely finished with you.
  • edited October 2004
    How am i flooding ? Check this thread. You post, i post, you post, i post. I wouldnt call it flooding.

You had a dig at me in another thread so i replied there so i'm not exactly flooding am i ? And how come it was 'easy to predict' I would 'flood' ? I would say someones flooding when they keep writing posts after posts without giving the other person a chance to reply. So far you post i reply.

No no your like the guy who farts at dinner and then when no one laughs you get embarassed and start shouting 'come on people it was a joke'.

In this thread you came up with a stupid suggestion which no one agreed with at all and since you looked rather silly you made out it was a 'joke' which it wasnt.

Its very difficult having a discussion/argument with someone who has taken his name from a 'great' story on 'Radio Penis'. Nuff said

[ This Message was edited by: psj3809 on 2004-10-28 16:12 ]
  • edited October 2004
    Best chance for a new Spectrum product would have been one of those plug-in TV joystick things. Like the Atari ones. Unfortunately, that chance has probably already gone, as even those have moved on. You can now get 16-Bit games, and eventually 32-Bit ones I imagine.

Perhaps Amstrad could have made more of the Emailer. If it had been more funky, had colour, and marketed in a more fashionable manner, there could have been a bit of a Speccy revival. They are making another version of the Emailer though. How dreadfully unexciting.
  • edited October 2004
    If they could just change it slightly, do away with the phone and keep the Spectrum emulator bit then it would be decent ! Then again might as well get a GP32 or PPC if you want a Spectrum on the go.

Surprised theyre doing another version of the Emailer though.
  • edited October 2004
    Speccies are still available to buy. Go to a car boot sale and get one. Pay a fiver.

No need to commercially produce something that would not sell.
  • edited October 2004
    pipe dreams from Yerz,, ahhh! keep 'em coming
  • edited October 2004
    yeah... for some people it's better to sit (like our 'farter' and some others) play 1000403043 time in Jet Set Willy and recall 'old good times', repeating from time to time sentence from rednecks: 'nuff said'.
    hehe.
    ok, do it still.
    bye.
  • edited October 2004
    The idea of trying to lobby Amstrad is not a bad one, even if it is not very likely to change minds. Amstrad has got a classic on it?s books and at a time when much is being made of retro gaming they appear to be doing nothing with the Speccy. The Spectrum for all it?s faults was a good machine for games. The testament to that is the number of people still using emulators for games and the fact that some folks are stilling making new games.

Amstrad own all the rights to the Spectrum and have bought the rights to many games. They bought the rights to Spectrum games so they could be used on the E-Mailer. Despite this they lag behind with a Spectrum product, why? Many all-in-one game products are coming out from Radica, Jakks, Atari, Commodore, Majesto, Intellivision and that is to say nothing of the Nes Clones. This shows there is a market for these products. Amstad has the ability to do the same with Spectrum and do it differently so to produce a product that stands out from the crowd. Maybe flash storage with the ability to download from the web like the Nintendo Ique. The example Codemasters CD is also a different possible route.
  • edited October 2004
    On the flipside... punters are going to view colourclash as a flaw, together with most games being in monochrome. Could lead to bad reviews, leading to the product being killed in the marketplace.

At least with all the other TV joysticks the graphics are crap due to low resolution and smaller pallettes. The Speccy has more display problems than that, and with this sort of thing it's the look that sells.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-28 18:56, Liber wrote:
    Amstrad own all the rights to the Spectrum and have bought the rights to many games. They bought the rights to Spectrum games so they could be used on the E-Mailer. Despite this they lag behind with a Spectrum product, why?

Did it ever occur to you that the emailer is their Spectrum product. It sells to a wider market than just a games machine and generates a steady revenue from those who do play Spectrum games on it thanks to its pay-per-play arrangement.

The plethora of Spectrum emulators available would limit the number of sales you could expect from an all-in-one joystick type of product, so unless they were to get heavy with the ROM rights it's unlikely they make any money on such a scheme.
  • edited October 2004
    Because of how well the retro 10 games in 1 joystick type things are going I think there could be a Speccy one sometime in the future.

I mean Tulip are apparently doing a C64 version so I wouldnt be surprised if there is a Spectrum version at one stage perhaps.

I dont think however Amstrad would re-release the Spectrum as an actual computer though which the original thread was about

Of course i would love it like anything but sadly i cant see that happening.

Either way for now i think the retro future is bright and hopefully should get more and more popular
  • edited October 2004
    Its not really a speccy thing as such but id still love to see an ultimate tv joystick

atic atac, jetpac, tranz am, cookie, pssst, knightlore etc
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited October 2004
    If Tulip get their arses into gear, there will be a C64 one!
  • edited October 2004
    I think they could have got it right with the emailer thingies, except it`s blantently stupid to force people to have to pay to download games, which are deleted automatically after days or weeks and who wants something dialling in everyday and costing you money..

If it was just a phone, clock and spectrum, and somehow you could connect it to PC to `upload` games that`d stop on then they would undeiably have the best product of any of the current crop, including all of those limited plug in the telly things.

But sadly, once again, it wasn`t to be.

It`s potentially still interesting idea, as there onto version 2, and if they are selling 100,000 of them then hopefully that`s enough to perhaps have a better thought out version three...

We should remember as well that Amstrad aren`t reallysuch a big company, big for UK perhaps, but since when has UK company`s really had much clout when it comes to R&D or the world stage.

• edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-29 04:26, CKay wrote:
    I think they could have got it right with the emailer thingies, except it`s blantently stupid to force people to have to pay to download games

Why "blantently(sic) stupid"? Amstrad get more money that way.
  • edited October 2004
    > We should remember as well that Amstrad aren`t reallysuch a big company,
    > big for UK perhaps, but since when has UK company`s really had much
    > clout when it comes to R&D or the world stage.

Well I think it's a very well thought out product but Amstrad will be blowing ?2m over the next two months removing any doubts I may have.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/28/amstrad_e3/

• edited October 2004
    There is no mention of Spectrum games being used for the new emailer though. Perhaps they'll resort to using something like those Java mobile phone type games, or some other type.

http://www.amstrad.co.uk/e3_intro.html

If they're ditching Speccy games for their emailer, then that doesn't bode too well for any future Spectrum projects - from Amstrad at least. Well, maybe not until the Emailer fails and they need some more money.

[ This Message was edited by: Collie on 2004-10-30 05:33 ]
  • edited October 2004
    @ Phillip

It`s not the actual fact of downloading games I found stupid, more the fact that they are under a time limit before auto deletion.

That, and the fact the machines have to log in every day to Amserve have stopped me buying, when otherwise I would have had at least two of them in my house.

I Still think it`s potentially a great machine :)

... haven`t had time to check those links above....