Best Emulator??

edited December 2004 in Emulators
Hiya

Searching for a good emulator that will happily run all the games Ive got at the mo. The ones Ive downloaded so far do not either work at all on XP or they will play only one or two of the games :(
Any advice guys?

Thanks!!
Post edited by Rach on

Comments

• edited October 2004
    In order of personal approval:

1) Spectaculator (I have the free 5.2 version . It's into the 6th version now but isn't free anymore)

2) Spin (free. lots of features. Suffers from the occasional bug though. Although, having said that, I haven't had much problems with the version I have now.)

3) Emuzwin/RealSpec

More importantly, I haven't had problems with any of the above in XP.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-10-22 21:29, Arjun wrote:
    1) Spectaculator (I have the free 5.2 version . It's into the 6th version now but isn't free anymore)
    Glad I'm not the only one! :)
  • edited November 2004
    I have been using ZX32 which seems to run great but not in full 32 bit colour, you have to change the colour quality to 16 bit.
  • edited November 2004
    You really need look no further than Spin (free) or Spectaculator (shareware).

I can't really say which is better they're both as good as each other.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited November 2004
    I prefer RealSpectrum and Spectaculator.
    IMO they are the most accurate and stable Speccy emulators.

No offence to the others.
  • edited November 2004
    I'll confess to preferring SPIN.

What is it about Spectaculator's accuracy that is superior to SPIN?

And I'm not talking about the fact that Spectaculator emulates a few more devices - why is the emulation of the common hardware more accurate in Spectaculator, in your opinion?
  • edited November 2004
    Personally I wouldn't touch RealSpectrum it's just so user-unfriendly...
  • edited November 2004
    What about Klive? It's fast, stable, compatible the only thing it lacks are those additional frill features like poking but for authentic play I think you should give it a try.
  • edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-05 13:27, karingal wrote:
    Here are the nefarious consequences of GUIs and other devices which make people so lazy that they do not bother to do anything but double-clicking with their mouses... :roll:

Back to the topic: I would recommend you any of the aforementioned emulators. After all it is common practice for most of us to have several emulators installed at once and using a favourite one (for whatever reason) with the others alongside as a second choice. Try them and see which one(s) suit(s) you best.

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-11-05 15:29 ]
  • edited November 2004
    Yes,

All of them are great emulators in their own right. Some have features others don't. As always some have their strengths and some have their weaknesses.

The most talked about Win32 Spectrum emulators are Spectaculator, Spin, EmuZwin and ZX32.

However, I don't know of many that have problems with WinXP ? Unless perhaps you have Service Pack 2 installed ?

Regards

• edited November 2004
    And I'm not talking about the fact that Spectaculator emulates a few more devices - why is the emulation of the common hardware more accurate in Spectaculator, in your opinion?

I guess he's referring to this:
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=6190&forum=11

:p

In all seriousness, their accuracy should be pretty much the same since it was me that supplied all the updated contention info in the FAQ :)

Jon.

http://www.spectaculator.com/

[ This Message was edited by: jon needle on 2004-11-05 18:26 ]
  • edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-05 15:54, Andrew Barker wrote:
    However, I don't know of many that have problems with WinXP ? Unless perhaps you have Service Pack 2 installed ?

I have had no probelms with Spectaculator with SP2 installed [just media player 10! ] , Aslo the +D emulation , G+Dos and Uni-Dos works fantastic, a joy to use.

Steve(spt)
  • edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-05 17:51, Jon Needle wrote:
    I guess he's referring to this:
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=6190&forum=11

Ah, that. Yeah - all fixed now.
    In all seriousness, their accuracy should be pretty much the same since it was me that supplied all the updated contention info in the FAQ :)

Yeah, forgot it was you that sent the info to the FAQ, once they had determined what was going on. And what a relief that was :)

D.

[ This Message was edited by: Dunny on 2004-11-05 20:05 ]
  • edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-05 15:26, Alessandro Grussu wrote:
    On 2004-11-05 13:27, karingal wrote:
    Here are the nefarious consequences of GUIs and other devices which make people so lazy that they do not bother to do anything but double-clicking with their mouses... :roll:
    It's good programming practice to use the accepted standards, it's not difficult to write a GUI. The whole idea behind a standard GUI is to provide instant accessability and allow the user to make full use of the programs capabilities without doing a 5 year Quantum Physics course first.

If RealSpectrum offered something more than Spin or Spectaculator then I would make the effort, but it doesn't so why bother?

[ This Message was edited by: karingal on 2004-11-05 22:21 ]
  • edited November 2004
    Apart from the fact that RS does offer something that neither Spin nor Spectaculator offer yet - like Didaktik Kompakt emulation, or support of IDE peripherals, Opus Discovery and of D40/D80 disk images for instance -, it represents the last major emulator coming from the days when what you call "accepted standards" were not standard at all. Those were the days when people actually bothered to read the documentation included with software, in order "to make full use of the programs (sic) capabilities", instead of pretending to have everything pre-munched and ready to be gulped. If you are so lazy that you need a quantum physics course just to use a program like RS, it's just your fault :p Don't worry however, RealX will take care of your needs as well :D

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-11-06 14:21 ]
  • edited November 2004
    Back to the topic, do you still experience any problem Rach?
  • edited November 2004
    I've been using RealSpectrum since my real Spectrum died in April 2003, though I'm planning to see if SPIN is any better.

--
    Dr. Andrew Broad
    http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
    http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/spectrum/
  • edited November 2004
    I did prefer Spectaculator - when it was free to the emulation community (I hate "pay" emus...).

Spin seems to be the best one, otherwise.
  • edited November 2004
    I have to say, if you bother with Speccy Emulation, then Spectaculator is the best and most comprehensive emulator available. Version 6 with it's support of almost absolutely everything really sorts it out :)

Must buy it at some point, mine timed out ages ago.

• edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-16 18:28, andrewbroad wrote:
    I've been using RealSpectrum since my real Spectrum died in April 2003, though I'm planning to see if SPIN is any better.

--
    Dr. Andrew Broad

I also use RealSpectrum and the registered version of Spectaculator.

If you have Windows 98 buy Spectaculator.
    It is worth the money. Download the 30 day trial.
    Spectaculator never crashes in 98.

• edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-17 16:03, DodgyGeezer wrote:
    On 2004-11-16 18:28, andrewbroad wrote:

--
    Dr. Andrew Broad

I also use RealSpectrum and the registered version of Spectaculator.

If you have Windows 98 buy Spectaculator.
    It is worth the money. Download the 30 day trial.
    Spectaculator never crashes in 98.

Or Windows ME/2000/XP/2003 Server for that matter :D

• edited November 2004
    I found myself using Speculator the most SPIN, ZX etc all seem to crash from time to time
  • edited November 2004
    On 2004-11-06 14:13, Alessandro Grussu wrote:
    Those were the days when people actually bothered to read the documentation included with software, in order "to make full use of the programs (sic) capabilities", instead of pretending to have everything pre-munched and ready to be gulped. If you are so lazy that you need a quantum physics course just to use a program like RS, it's just your fault :p
    [ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-11-06 14:21 ]

But Mr Grussu, the emu world has moved on. People don't want the hassle of an emulator that's much more difficult to use than the current ones like Spectaculator. It's just like the original emus that only worked with pure DOS commands. They were very good and very stable because they were in DOS, but who would go near them now? Not me anyroad.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited November 2004
    I understand your point, Mr Spector - but, in fact, RS is not only a command-line driven program. Since it has no fancy point-and-click menus and interfaces like the ones that are so fashionable now, but is instead commanded by pushing a set of keys - mainly the function ones -, the laziest among us, and/or those who are totally new to PC use, might find that memorizing a handful (unless you want to use the most advanced features, but then you are not a newbie, aren't you?) of key combinations requires too much effort. In my opinion, it's a pity to deprive oneself the pleasure of using a fast, accurate, stable and versatile emulator (with all due respect to the other ones, of course) just because of the inability to use the keyboard instead of the mouse.
    But then, maybe I belong to another, older generation.
  • edited November 2004
    I have always liked Real Spectrum.
    I cannot understand why people call it.
    It's a great emulator that supports everything.
  • edited November 2004
    ...and of course there`s still people getting `new` computers second hand that are Pentium 90`s or even lower (I have two mates who`ve bought REALLY low spec machines like this in the past year or so), so for these people who cannot afford a `decent` new PC this emulator or X128 is ideal if they loved the Spectrum...

My fave emulator is SPIN, and the demo version of Spectaculator was great as well.

• edited November 2004
    I used klive, was good but doesnt get updated anymore, then i found spectaculator, EXCELLENT, i also use spin, and basin when im trying to code, never :) lol
    i tried real spectrum on my second puter downstairs a while back and ..........every game i get tape loading errors and/or the game loaded but then i got the cursor as tho id had a tape loading error.....sod it spectaculator works fine for me :)
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited December 2004
    On 2004-11-22 21:00, DodgyGeezer wrote:
    I have always liked Real Spectrum.
    I cannot understand why people call it.
    It's a great emulator that supports everything.
    Yes, I fully agree with you. At first, I used zx32 but when I saw Real Spectrum I really liked it. Now I use only Real Spectrum for all Speccy games.
  • edited December 2004
    I forget which emulator I was using at first, but then I got a soundblaster soundcard and the stupid emulator stopped working. Ironically the error it gave was something like "soundblaster required." yeah, I'VE GOT ONE, BUDDY! Strange that it worked when I didn't have one.

Anyway, I tried several which were usless and finally got one that worked (zx32).

What I wanna know is, is there an emulator that does the border and sound when loading tzx files? I just tried a tzx file for the first time, and if it's gonna load in real time i'd like something to entertain me while it loads!

[ This Message was edited by: ~Dan~ on 2004-12-12 19:16 ]
  • edited December 2004
    Nearly all of the current emulators do that! Try Spin or Spectaculator. Why, even the ZX32 does that if I remember correctly!